What is UNSW like in terms of social life, for Aussie Caucasians? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstar

HSC
artfag. Youll always find friends with your snooty class mates who think they're infinitely smarter and more 'interesting' than the other kids.

Tim035

HSC
ITT a bunch of Asians unleash years of being inferior by finally being given the opportunity to bully someone who clearly must be lower then them if they had to go to TAFE.

bio_nut

HSC
ITT a bunch of Asians unleash years of being inferior by finally being given the opportunity to bully someone who clearly must be lower then them if they had to go to TAFE.
hahahahaha

Monstar

HSC
why is your deadlift so weak man? it should be ages ahead of squat and bench

proringz

HSC
I'm not actually interested in doing Arts - I have to do a year of 'anything' before I can apply for vet science. I'll get better results in Arts, so I'm doing it for that reason. Hence I also don't really care about which uni is academically better at teaching Arts.. Personally I think that Arts degrees ARE a joke, and I'll never 'use' my year of Arts.. but it suits my needs and strategy.
Ok so if you don't care which uni is academically better for arts, and unsw is 50 mins closer to you. Why can't you just forget everything else apart from your marks for only 1 year and go to unsw?

Tim035

HSC
why is your deadlift so weak man? it should be ages ahead of squat and bench
1 rep max it is, but I seem to gas out real quick, so that's the most I can do 5 reps of. That's quite out of date anyway, got up to 142.5kg, however I'm not lifting at the moment, doing brazilian jiu-jitsu and unfortunately can't afford that and gym membership.

ohne

HSC
I found the UNSW social life pretty good for Asians and non-Asians alike. There are a lot of clubs, chaplaincies etc that you can get involved in.

The Campus is a lot more pleasant than USyd's as well.

The toilets are generally quite good at UNSW, although it varies depending on which building you are in. Personally I was prepared to walk to use the newer ones although I don't think any are no-go areas (except for the old CLB toilets about 5 years ago before the refurbishment!!!).

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
I'm kinda over this thread and havent been watching for weeks, but just want to point out -

1) I did TPC at TAFE because I did not do HSC at school. In fact I didnt do my school cert. I started working fulltime when I was 14; for reasons I don't have to explain or justify to anyone. So it's not a matter of "I'm a TAFE transfer because I didnt get good enough results the first time".

2) I will be doing science eventually.. early in this thread I did explain that the reason I want to do Arts for 1 yr is because I think it will be much easier to get the Distinction averages I need. It doesn't mean that I can't get them in science; it just means it will be easier.

3) I also did TAFE Vet Science courses in 2009. I didn't study for them at all, and basically came around about an equal 1st (out of about 40 people) with a girl who graduated from UTS B. Science in 2009, and she studied her ass off. The teacher (a veterinarian) had absolute faith in me and says he'll be surprised if I don't get into vet science. So.. whatever to the 12 year old girl that spent 30 mins writing an email trying to tear me down. I have no doubt whatsoever that I would make a great vet.

and the reason I don't want to be one of the only caucasians amongst many asians is because it's true that they do usually seem very quiet and studious. Guess what - I'm not. So it's nothing personal against them really, I just know that I probably won't click with them as well as I would with others. This social aspect is important to be (because as I said, I'm NOT naturally studious.. trying to get me to sit down and study is like trying to get blood out of a stone) BUT if I have good friendships with people that I "click" well with for 1 year, it will make going to uni, and studying, sooooo much easier...

I don't think it'll be a problem once I start Vet Sci at uni.. because I am so much more interested in that. i.e. there was a vast difference in my interest between the vet sci and TPC courses I did in 2009. I wish I'd been able to do the vet sci stuff full time. I find things such a chore if I'm not fully interested in them.

oh, and whoever said that Coogee is a crazy place.. that's true.. but I've owned a unit there (for a long time) so that's where I am at the moment. But how on earth did Coogee's backpackers etc come into conversation about which uni I should go to? I'm lost.. lol...

BTW: even if you search on 131500.com.au, to get from Coogee to Usyd takes 50-54 mins; and that's not taking into account walking to your faculty building. Coogee Beach to UNSW takes 9 mins.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
Good response. The only thing I would add is that if you have a science background (from tafe) you may be better doing B.Sci initially as it is a lot more definite in terms of a right and wrong answer. For 1st year science if you study hard, learn everything necessary and then demonstrate that knowledge in the exam, you'll get good grades.
Where as arts can be extremely subjective; especially things like creative writing, it can really depend on whether the marker likes or dislikes your style of writing.

P.T.F.E

HSC
o man.

y dont u come on here more often and defend ur self. everytime u type something new it definatly helps ur case and in no way digs a bigger whole.

u go bully that 12 year old girl... thats the attitude to gain more friends. i have all the faith in the world that at 28 years old and still aching for a social life that u will achieve this at uni no matter where u go.

and u get that vet degree and help those poor animals... im glad ur teacher had faith in u... someone had to i guess.

as for the toilet issue... i see where ur coming from... when ur graduate u want to assure ur future employer that ur degree from unsw is superior because the toilets were clean.

Good luck for the future

Party ATT

HSC
N/A
Im not a racist but you shouldnt mass up with some of races

look aussie kid lol

you just sound like ignorant and racist Japanese or Korean back home

they just dont like seeing caucasions around

because they assume caucasions are always on drugs

and sometime they smell like a pig

if you say you are from australia, they will think you are some kind of poor farmer from unknown country

you are being an exact same racist like we do have back home

door swings both way, dont get your arse kicked if you ever go there

ps. well most of unis has got big chinese population that is around 80% of all international students. so if you see an international student, they are mostly from china. and no doubt they are bit neardy and not that social people from general. come on they are communist still. be specific. asia has got few different races

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

look aussie kid lol

if you say you are from australia, they will think you are some kind of poor farmer from unknown country

Same goes for you. If you ever decide to leave, I'll remind customs to let you use the express lane on the way out.

Bendent

HSC

look aussie kid lol

ps. well most of unis has got big chinese population that is around 80% of all international students. so if you see an international student, they are mostly from china. and no doubt they are bit neardy and not that social people from general. come on they are communist still. be specific. asia has got few different races

you don't see many 'caucasions' in korea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)