What should I drop...? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As you may know from my sig, I'm doing 16 units. This is far too much... and after a lovely twenty minute long session on highlighting my assignments for the year ahead (we got our assessment task sheet today), all twenty or so... I decided I'll pull out now from a subject, just one - to give me room in case I want to drop EX2 or MX2, or something else entirely.

My ranks, and marks and the class average are as follows - from the Yearly Report:

Chemistry - 82% [63], 1/7 (A)
Economics - 85% [64], 2/8 (A)
English Advanced - 76% [68], 6/15 (B)
English Extension 1 - 80% [79], 5/10 (B)
Legal Studies - 84% [64], 1/5 (A)
Mathematics - 88% [50], 1/11 (A)
Mathematics Extension 1 - 67% [69], 2/3 (B)
Physics - 73% [63], 2/7 (C)

Then I picked up EX2 and MX2... for the hell of it, and to know that at least I tried.

But now, the workload is beginning to catch up - but what to drop? Markswise, MX1, but that's hard, so it would be Physics, but I'm ranked 2nd. Rankwise drop EX1, but I picked up EX2 for a reason - to write something, then if I go for enjoyment, drop Econ because I hate it, but my marks say I should keep it.

I'm leaning towards either Physics or Economics (Physics for my horrible knack of getting every single electronics question wrong, except the basics, and Econ for my hatred of the subject after doing a newspaper file...) - was dead set on dropping Econ before the School's Careers Adviser mapped my results onto a spreadsheet for me to add one piece of information - my enjoyment of the subject from 1 to 10. She also doubles as my Econ teacher, and Econ scored quite high, and Physics quite low. My Legal teacher and Chem teacher both said they'd have heart attacks if I dropped the subject... and yeah.

Then my maths teacher said that in 4u, the Mechanics work will help me better grasp the harder concepts of some of the motion stuff. I suppose EX1 and EX2 are the outsiders if I end up not dropping Physics or Econ...

So since I'm an emotional mess right now... what should I drop?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
What do you want to do after school?

I'd drop economics.

It doesn't matter about the marks, you will end up resenting studying for it and hence your marks will suffer in the end. (Ok, not necessarily), but really, wouldn't you rather be studying something you're interested in rather that something you hate? You've still got a whole year to go, your marks are great all round so I wouldn't be too concerned with what will scale better etc, cos it looks like you can do well with anything..... do you really want to be suffering through economics for 12 more months?
soooooo, I'd say eco.

If not, then physics.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
...y pic up extensions 'for the hell of it' unles you love love love maths and english or are exceptionlly good its a waste of time...

nd stick with what u enjoy believe me

Jaylee42003

HSC
Fuck...16 units...id say drop down to at the most 13 units. And choose stuff you're good at AND enjoy, or else there's no point. If it comes down to that you enjoy them all, then go by future career, and your marks. xx

KnifeySpoony

HSC
holy shit, 16!!?!!??! is that not overkill?!?!
try and cut down to 12 max for hsc imo, so you can manage your time more effectively and stay sane

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I like English and Maths, my phrasing may not have been the best...

I'll drop to 14 just in case MX2 or EX2 decides to kill me.

After school - maybe a career in Medicine, Law or... Actuarial Studies!

So currently it's tied 2-2... anyone else want to join in the debate?

Leo Vanguard

Hur Dur
HSC
Personally I'd say drop all english extensions. They are all too 'englishy' and unless you really like the subject (like you would rather do that then say play your favourite sport or something) then they are mainly a waste of time. Too much effort which isn't worth the result. Economics uses maths theory, so that way Eco, Physics and Maths all link in. English is the odd one out. Trust me, I saw a few guys pick up Eng ext 2 and they struggled all year long.

Other than that, if you still are really set on doing English, and you say you hate Eco, well then drop Economics. I'd personally advise you to drop legal, as its a bit of a time waster (half the stuff you do is basically completely useless for the exam).

mira.mourad

HSC
Chemistry - 82% [63], 1/7 (A)
Economics - 85% [64], 2/8 (A)
English Advanced - 76% [68], 6/15 (B)
English Extension 1 - 80% [79], 5/10 (B)
Legal Studies - 84% [64], 1/5 (A)
Mathematics - 88% [50], 1/11 (A)
Mathematics Extension 1 - 67% [69], 2/3 (B)
Physics - 73% [63], 2/7 (C)

If I were you I would drop Maths extension or Physics..... or perhaps both because I have no idea how you're going to cope.

mira.mourad

HSC
If I were you I would drop Maths extension or Physics..... or perhaps both because I have no idea how you're going to cope.

kyokaku92

HSC
16???? Dude, you are beyond insane! There is no need to stretch it that far. At most 12 units will suffice. I reckon you can get 90+ in every subject if you cull the unnecessary units as you have potential to get 99+ ATAR. However choose wisely in which subject(s) you want to drop. I dropped Ext Maths for a reason :bomb:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Exactly, so tell me what subjects I should drop.

Dropping English Ext's would give me 2 study periods... per two weeks cycle. Not that much, really. I want to drop a two unit subject.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Drop Physics or Economics. If it's not counting don't do it. It's not like it's a tie, and the marks arent that good that droppping it would be a cardinal sin (explains why I didnt drop Chem, I got 93%, even though I dislike it, I've come to appreciate it as a good way to get high marks, ditto Modern (except I LOVE Modern). The Physics is very low, and I don't think it will help that much with Maths. I can grasp all of the Motion/Mechanics stuff in 3U/4U fairly easily after flipping through the textbook, so you don't really need Physics. Then again you hate Eco, so it's really up to you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Then I realised my true calling as an Actuary, and realised we had to do more Econ... so I figured I would brush up on some Econ before I get there.

Might drop Physics I suppose - after all, to get that kind of ATAR, I will have to work at it.

assiduous

HSC
All 15 units i do, are part of your subject selections!

A week ago, i was tossing up between Physics, Economics and Legal Studies. But now i've settled on Legal Studies as i heard it's 'a waste of time' because half the content you learn won't be examined in the exam. Also, because i'm starting to enjoy Physics a lot more and doing better at it.
Economics for me is like a love-hate relationship. One day i might like it,another day not so much. Looking at all the statisitcs i have to keep up to date with and all the content to learn for the HSC course has bored me at times and at times held my interest to hours of reading.

So i've decided on Legal Studies.

Looking at your situation, i'd probably say Physics. But just keep in mind which subjects you have potential in, enjoy (because you will work hard and study better for it) and maybe the classroom environment.

Above all, no one can make that decision for you. The decision is ultimately in your hands. SO definitely go down to 14u as soon as possible. 14u is at least manageable.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I wish I could drop Legal but my teacher would have a heart-attack, not to mention the class average dropping severely... =P

But I like the subject.

So I suppose it's Physics. Dropping Econ would mean some would have a field day, when they say, "You danced in front of the class, by yourself - to get marks for PDH. Now you drop Econ because you don't like it, but the marks are there. I think you like to dance!"

*start the public heckling

assiduous

HSC
Haha, I am top ranked in most of my subjects too.
I don't really care about the class average if anything, i don't want to be in a class with people who won't try and aim to make the classroom environment an unfriendly place to learn and have relevant discussion/s.

Yeah, i like legal too but i'm thinking about taking it off because of the noise etc in class and the students. Also, i think i like economics just as much as legal studies now. NOW!

haha yeah, i get what you mean, but you had me confuzzled when you abbreviated Personal Development/ Health/ Physical Education.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sounds like my Legal class.

Physics is fun, and interesting - but I need to drop something. To get ATAR of 95-96 is not going to be an easy feat, and I'll end up following the advice of my Careers Adviser - to maximise marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)