What textbooks do you use? (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Out of curiosity.

I have to teach Conflict in the Pacific by myself and I only have the HTA Study Guide which is, to be honest, rather basic. I plan to write my notes from wikipedia, John Keegan's 'The Second World War'; H.P Willmott's 'World War Two'; and Peter Costello's 'The Pacific War'. I don't know if writing my notes from these books will be enough, since they mainly cover the battles and strategy and do not cover the Second Sino-Japanese War or the Occupation of Japan very well in depth.

Thanks.

Kittikhun

HSC
Are there any other books that you read during your MH studies? Background reading? My modules are Conflict in the Pacific; Ho Chi Minh; and USA. I do not just want to obtain all my knowledge from Ken Webb and also, he has not yet published a book about the Pacific.

Thank you for your reply by the way; I appreciate it. :)

mckensara

HSC
He was my Yr 11 teacher....:shy:!
NO WAY! :D i had him at ravo.

and op, to be honest i cant remember the exact names of the texts
bruce dennit does ring a bell...
i just wandered down to local libraries and went to the modern history hsc section and read them all and picked out the good parts!

Last edited:

Kittikhun

HSC
So you never read any history books? Only textbooks dedicated to MH HSC?

Just out of curiosity, is Ken Webb a short (about 5 foot 2 or 3), energetic, sort of plump old man with grayish white hair? My sister recounted to me about having a fantastic MH lecturer at a library HSC preparation workshop and I'm wondering if this lecturer is Ken Webb.

mckensara

HSC
"extemporaneous speaking" :)P).
HAHHAHA! that he does
nawww i miss his rambling

Just out of curiosity, is Ken Webb a short (about 5 foot 2 or 3), energetic, sort of plump old man with grayish white hair? My sister recounted to me about having a fantastic MH lecturer at a library HSC preparation workshop and I'm wondering if this lecturer is Ken Webb.
that and the occasional hand out, yes. everything i needed was there

greyish hair yes, plump and short no! ken plays squash you see :p

Kittikhun

HSC
Damn, I want to have Ken Webb as a teacher. Again, out of curiosity, does he collect WW2 memorabilia by any chance?

Hmm. OK, so does that mean I should refrain from reading history books and just get all my knowledge from reading MH HSC textbooks and wikipedia?

Kittikhun

HSC
OK. Thanks for the advice Wendy. I appreciate it. :)

I have done that for WW1 but now I'm seriously behind with my work. It just takes too long reading through all those books and basically trying to teach yourself. Maybe I'm doing this wrong. Should I just go to my teacher and tell him 'Sir, to be honest, I think using solely one textbook is not very wise. I want to refer to several textbooks before writing my notes. Could I possibly teach myself?' because I feel like it is a serious waste staying in class when I should be writing more detailed notes of my own from other textbooks which I find better.

Why does everyone hate wikipedia? To be honest, I believe that it is the best place to go to get info on historical events. Sure, it might not be the best place to go to obtain accurate biographies of both famous and also infamous people but for historical events that the general population doesn't give a toss about, it is very accurate. In fact, I believe that its articles on WW2 are definitive. I never reference it though. When I use wiki I always reference my references from the links provided by the references section located down the bottom of the page. (sorry for typing reference a lot)

Kittikhun

HSC
Damn. I wasted all that time reading WW1 textbooks and books. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice wendy. I appreciate profoundly and I will take them to heed. You're awesome. :)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

Nah that was Bruce Dennett. Good lecture actually.

The best book I read for Conflict in the Pacific was Japan's War: The Great Pacific Conflict by Edwin Hoyt. It's not a text book but it really helped me understand the topic and provided a fair bit of relevant information that you may not necessarily learn in class.

Kittikhun

HSC
I have just done a quick little research on him. He teaches at Baulkham Hills and apparently recreated the assassination of JFK at the school quad. Screw Ken Webb, I want Bruce Dennett as my history teacher now!

I have heard about 'Japan's War'. My sister recommended it to me a lot but I've been on Amazon and read some pretty negative reviews.

Amazon.com: Japan's War: The Great Pacific Conflict (9780815411185): Edwin Hoyt: Books

I want to the get the accompanying oral history of this book though. Looks interesting to read about true stories from certain individuals from the other side. I still hate Japs though.

Amazon.com: Japan at War: An Oral History (9781565840393): Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook: Books

Did you read any other books about the Pacific? I basically have to teach it myself since my class is doing Conflict in Indochina instead. Do you still have your MH notes? My sister threw them away.

Thanks.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I have just done a quick little research on him. He teaches at Baulkham Hills and apparently recreated the assassination of JFK at the school quad. Screw Ken Webb, I want Bruce Dennett as my history teacher now!

I have heard about 'Japan's War'. My sister recommended it to me a lot but I've been on Amazon and read some pretty negative reviews.

Amazon.com: Japan's War: The Great Pacific Conflict (9780815411185): Edwin Hoyt: Books

I want to the get the accompanying oral history of this book though. Looks interesting to read about true stories from certain individuals from the other side. I still hate Japs though.

Amazon.com: Japan at War: An Oral History (9781565840393): Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook: Books

Did you read any other books about the Pacific? I basically have to teach it myself since my class is doing Conflict in Indochina instead. Do you still have your MH notes? My sister threw them away.

Thanks.
I just read the stuff we had in class and that other book I mentioned. Borrowed a couple of DVD docos from the library too (the local one that I lived at last October holidays, they've got some great history DVDs). The reference books are also good to refer back to and there are plenty of Modern textbooks but the information provided isn't really substantial enough to get you by.
The book by Hoyt is a bit shifty in some parts and I can understand why some people did review it quite harshly but all in all it's a pretty decent book and quite interesting. Plus I think the parts the reviewers were referring to were actually parts of the book not necessary to the topic. I mean, you like history a lot so I think you'll appreciate the book for what it is anyway and you would most probably find it a good read. It's best to navigate your way around the book using the index rather than reading it from start to finish if you want to take notes and make reference back to it in essays and stuff. There is quite a lot of good information and it's highly informative. Well worth the read despite the reviews in my opinion.
I've got all of my history notes plus my work books if you want them. I'll give them to your sister next time I see her :) Mind you I only wrote notes for three sections of Conflict. I didn't write great notes for civilians at war because I was so sure that they'd ask a question on the A-bomb or nationalism (they asked both so I was just lucky. I wrote a six page essay about the A-bomb). There will be notes for nationalism, all of the relevant battles and tactics and strategies and etc. plus the end of the war and a fair bit for the A-bomb.

0hNivlek

HSC

Thanks.
Hahaha lol don't worry last year Bruce Dennett always came in to lecture us and prepare us for exams, especially the HSC. He's awesome, especially his specialty in the USA topic which we did!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)