what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

Beege

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

private if ur parents have a shit load of money

I'm quite happy with public as you can have more of a social life

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC

This is very interesting and ive had many conversations with people at uni about it. I think placing too much emphasis on the teachers is not quite right - because in essence that argument leads to this idea:

'Good teachers, good resources > highly performing/achieving students'

Which may well be true, but how outrageous is that? Why does someone with money deserve to put their children into a better place of education?>?> Do they love their kids more? I'm from a public school background with friends from private schools.

I make a generalisation now somewhat. At university, there is a strange kind of air that people with 'rich' parents feel it is their god given right to be there, and if they fail, so what, they will get saved by their folks. There are many of us out there slaving away at part time (nearly full-time) jobs just to flop our way through uni and living expenses, studying in the spare time we have to get good marks. However, SOME (and i suggest some only) go to uni to hang out, relax and do no work.

I also think that public education gives a more realistic perception of the world. For instance, I had an english teacher, who would swear if she had a bad day and be very candid and open about her live. I feel as though this may be sheltered from private schools but in essence this teaches much more than books ever will. She didn't censor herself or her views, and allowed us to challenge her and her views - without public school I wouldn't be so involved in certain issues.

To each their own

Thanks

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC

if by the grace of the good Lord i happen to spawn some ironically unholy offspring, they are going to nothing but private schools. public schools are shit unless they go to a top 10 selective school. i dont care what you can and cant learn in a specific environment. you learn from your own mistakes.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Public. Why? Less fees :p

The Agent

HSC

Studies have been done by Monash (?) university which show that while private school students might get a good university entrance rank (UAI, ENTER etc), they're more likely to fail university and more likely to drop out of university than a student from a public school.

They think this is due to private school students, especially those from exclusive schools, not knowing how to study independently enough for the tertiary level because they're forced fed their stuff.

Force feeding is a good way to get students to do well at school, but it is no way to train someone for university study. At university you get given your assignments at the beginning of the semester and that is pretty much the last time you hear about them. It is up to you to do it, and it is up to you to do the research for it.

Poor soar at university: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...1162056867076.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Debunking myths of elite learning: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/11/23/1100972395121.html

The above articles are quite good. So next time a private school student tells you they're better, just remind them that they're more likely to fail university.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

So next time a private school student tells you they're better, just remind them that they're more likely to fail university.
It's a silly point really as all the private school student needs to point out is that "Yes, but public school students are less likely to even go to university".

The Agent

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
It's a silly point really as all the private school student needs to point out is that "Yes, but public school students are less likely to even go to university".
Yes but at least the poor kid won't have a poor tertiary record when they apply for mature age.

Once you have a poor tertiary record, you have very little hope of ever getting into another university again.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Or the 'poor' kid (this is really a lie, I've know 'poor' private school students and 'rich' public school students) won't ever even apply for mature age.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

MortImmortelle said:
I'd say that facilities would be better but other then that it'd be about the same...Sometimes at my school we can't do the experiments ourselves because we don't have the materials so we watch it as a class while our teacher does it..I mean you learn it just as well as a private school would have learnt the experiment...its just a matter of absorbing things and studying hard. :)
And i think peeps at private school get in more shit socially and in school just because are put in stricter circumstances.

But all round i reckon going to a private school won't make you set for the hsc :p

That is just my opinion, definately not set as fact so yeah.
I think this is a good post that sums it up about public schools. People are always going to try and make the best out of their circumstance, and wealth is one aspect of circumstance, along with intelligence.

Season

HSC

For me it is mostly the atmosphere that makes the difference.

At a private school EVERYBODY works extremly hard, because we have parents on our back going 'I am paying ***** $ for you to attend, I expect you to ace the grade' so that everyone all works and have the mentality that this is what will define our life. A lot of people thrive in that sort of atmosphere, its a lot easier to give up a social life when your friends have too.

It's a bit different in ACT with continuous assessment I guess but the students who top the state will still be studying as hard as they are.

I had a friend transfer across and she said they made us go to class, attend, take notes, you didn't have to ask for help it was offered. That sort of stuff. Plus in a private school you don't get that nerdy shit thrown at you, because everybody is a nerd and they understand that if you study in advance to an exam that that's fine. Instead of going to a party and getting stoned and wasted.

lulabelle

HSC

Season said:

At a private school EVERYBODY works extremly hard, because we have parents on our back going 'I am paying ***** $ for you to attend, I expect you to ace the grade' so that everyone all works and have the mentality that this is what will define our life. A lot of people thrive in that sort of atmosphere, its a lot easier to give up a social life when your friends have too.

It's a bit different in ACT with continuous assessment I guess but the students who top the state will still be studying as hard as they are.

I had a friend transfer across and she said they made us go to class, attend, take notes, you didn't have to ask for help it was offered. That sort of stuff. Plus in a private school you don't get that nerdy shit thrown at you, because everybody is a nerd and they understand that if you study in advance to an exam that that's fine. Instead of going to a party and getting stoned and wasted.
let me get this right,

you're saying:
-EVERYBODY at a private school works hard
-EVERYBODY at a private school is a nerd
-EVERYBODY at a private school has no social life

I'm really quite amused.

Last edited:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC

firstly, majority of the leading private schools leach the very top of other schools offering scholarships for 11&12 etc, thus the results that come out, give credit to these private schools, not acknowledging the schools from which these high achieveing students spent the majority of their time.
Every school is going to have good and bad teachers. Take for example SGHS and SBHS, who, according to numerous friends who attend, both have serious issues with teachers. [teachers being neglectful, suffering from tall poppy syndrome towards students... believing that they are la creme de la creme and do not need teachers assistance.]
i agree with the belief that private schools have far better facilities. I go to a catholic fee paying school, and After seeing the facilities of other schools [cranbrook, SCEGGS, Santa Sabina etc] and comparing to our own, there is a significant difference. I went to a pubo school for a year, and those resources well.... lets not speak of such injustices.
Our school, regardless of its lack of facilities, is amazing academically and musically. We've had students come firstin the state in Physics and religion. [back in 1883, but still, first in the state! haha jk...]
etc [ill stop bragging now :p]

i guess it all boils down to the student.
Do with what uve got...
and also.... university statistics have shown that a very high percentage of kids from GPS and CAS schools drop out upon reaching uni as they are no longer spoon fed.

goodluck. regardless of ur school, if u want to do well, and work for it, u will :)

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC

Season said:

haha lulabelle, im with u.. im thoroughly amused by this as well...
while alot of parents struggle and work very hard to get their kidsinto private schools, a large majority are quite wealthy...
which tends to result in kids who are apathetic towards study because of their financial security.
[of course, im generalizing..]

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

nichhhole said:
Take for example SGHS and SBHS, who, according to numerous friends who attend, both have serious issues with teachers. [teachers being neglectful, suffering from tall poppy syndrome towards students... believing that they are la creme de la creme and do not need teachers assistance.]
I don't know the case for SGH, but at High that's definetly not one of our 'serious' issues.
A more serious issue would be the fact of how High can maintain our GPS and CHS volleyball dominance. 2005/2006 winnars!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

i went to your typical public high school, and i worked hard and did just as well as i would have in a $$$$$$$$$$ private school with mucho facilities etc. it's up to the individual to achieve the best they can. environment doesn't really come into it at all unless of course you are an extreme case, like you live out in no mans land and have to go to school via radio or something.

aloysballa

HSC

private schools are def better especially cas and gps schools.
the only public schools that do better are selective schools.
kids in private schools are more likely to work harder and u get less drop kicks who just want to stuff around.
also the co-curricular on offer at private schools and the organisation of it craps all over that at most public schools.

spangacrab

HSC

Some of us don't have to privledge to go to Private school. When I have kids they will all go to public schools for they are equal to private schools IMHO. It just matters how much effort you put in, the teachers in both are the same quality, students in public schools are more down to earth/poor where as Private school students are better of financially but pay 40k for the same education I get which I pay zilch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)