What were these science subjects like for your hsc? (1 Viewer)

AmalJ

HSC
Have you done or are currently doing Physics/Chem/Bio for hsc?

Do you regret it? Did you enjoy it? What was it like? How did you handle the workload? Was it worth it and was it difficult?

Tomorrow is the last day before subject selection and I'm still unsure about exactly which science subjects I want to do for hsc so any information is appreciated!!

(If you've done eco or modern I wouldn't mind your opinion on them either)

Thank you :)

dasfas

HSC
What are you hoping to do at uni? Honestly, even though I love STEM, it's good to open your mind with the arts/social sciences and consider other subjects.

For the sciences, you just gotta be self-motivated, search up stuff when you don't understand, do past papers etc.. Bio is rather content heavy, chem less so. The maths isn't too bad in chem. I didn't do physics.

AmalJ

HSC
What are you hoping to do at uni? Honestly, even though I love STEM, it's good to open your mind with the arts/social sciences and consider other subjects.

For the sciences, you just gotta be self-motivated, search up stuff when you don't understand, do past papers etc.. Bio is rather content heavy, chem less so. The maths isn't too bad in chem. I didn't do physics.
Science has been one of the only subjects to truly pique my interest hence why I want to do something in the scientific field (maybe even med if I'm smart enough) I've tried the arts before (visual, drama, even music at one point) but I never really got engaged in it and I've found I'm not really good at them either. With social sciences, I'm thinking of doing modern, politics sounds really interesting and so does economics so I'm kind of in a stalemate between them haha

I don't think I could handle 14 units so I'm deciding between dropping either one of the sciences, modern, or eco out of my subject choices.
It's so hard I wish we could get like a trial or something of what these subjects are going to be like :(

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's so hard I wish we could get like a trial or something of what these subjects are going to be like :(
Year 11 is designed to give you this opportunity because none of the marks you receive for your Preliminary exams/assessments will count towards your ATAR. Year 11 allows you to thoroughly experience all your subjects and based on your experience, determine the best subject combination to have as you commence year 12 (which could imply dropping, keeping, and/or potentially taking new subjects). An example of this would be dropping Biology and taking Science Extension, or dropping Economics and/or Modern History to focus on your science subjects. :)

dasfas

HSC
Science has been one of the only subjects to truly pique my interest hence why I want to do something in the scientific field (maybe even med if I'm smart enough) I've tried the arts before (visual, drama, even music at one point) but I never really got engaged in it and I've found I'm not really good at them either. With social sciences, I'm thinking of doing modern, politics sounds really interesting and so does economics so I'm kind of in a stalemate between them haha

I don't think I could handle 14 units so I'm deciding between dropping either one of the sciences, modern, or eco out of my subject choices.
What level of maths are you doing?

dasfas

HSC
I'm planning on doing advanced math
hmm, okay, then perhaps drop either eco or phys? eco because you're already doing modern + bio and they are all rather content heavy. phys because I'm guessing maths isn't your strength, and tbh, it's the least relevant to med.

AmalJ

HSC
Do you think I should try doing 14 units for the first couple of weeks and then drop the one I like the least? Or should I do 12 units with the ones that require preliminary knowledge for year 12 and if I need to, change it then?

dasfas

HSC
Do you think I should try doing 14 units for the first couple of weeks and then drop the one I like the least? Or should I do 12 units with the ones that require preliminary knowledge for year 12 and if I need to, change it then?
Yeah, I reckon keep 14 units and then drop a few weeks in.

A couple weeks isn't really going to do much in terms of giving you a taste of the course, but it's better than nothing. The main benefit is seeing what your teacher is like. If you get a god-tier or trash-tier teacher, perhaps consider keeping/ditching the subject respectively.

AmalJ

HSC
You hit the bull's eye, I'd say math is probably my weakest subject atm haha

and yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do, If I do 14 units for the first few weeks it shouldn't stress me out too much so I should be able to handle it.

Thank you for the advice!! :)

idkkdi

HSC
You hit the bull's eye, I'd say math is probably my weakest subject atm haha

and yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do, If I do 14 units for the first few weeks it shouldn't stress me out too much so I should be able to handle it.

Thank you for the advice!! :)
i reckon take ext 1 maths

ezOolong

HSC
if maths is your thing, physics is ur thing, and chem is ur thing
if memorisation is ur thing, bio is ur thing, physics (in year 12) is ur thing and chem is ur thing

osciggyz

HSC
Have you done or are currently doing Physics/Chem/Bio for hsc?

Do you regret it? Did you enjoy it? What was it like? How did you handle the workload? Was it worth it and was it difficult?

Tomorrow is the last day before subject selection and I'm still unsure about exactly which science subjects I want to do for hsc so any information is appreciated!!

(If you've done eco or modern I wouldn't mind your opinion on them either)

Thank you :)
Currently doing chem and personally i really enjoy the content that is taught in it, as its interesting and mathematical. However im not a fan of the assessment tasks nesa reqieures us to do in chem and any science, this being depth study stuides and report writing etc. Thats really the only thing i dont enjoy about chem and science subjects but overall its a great subject and i'd suggesting doing a bit of reseaerch before you choose subjects.

osciggyz

HSC
The only thing bad about physics is that it's still treated like social science (in the sense it can get wordy but defs not as bad as other subjects) and tbh it hasn't reached its mathematical potential yet. Seriously, the worst part about the subject is fat 9 markers on the history of discoveries. Like if you look at the sample HSC qs literally one of the qs is "E=mc^2 is the most important equation in physics." Evaluate this statement or some crap. Sometimes they try to be like English or social sciences and it's just not a good look.

Also, the year 12 syllabus is really deceiving because stuff from year 11 is still relevant like classical momentum, but it gets neglected in year 12 until you get to the HSC, and you're like oh crap. The last q of the 2019 HSC requires momentum conservation but its main focus is in Mod 2 which most people forget by the end of year 12. That's kinda scary because I've forgotten all about harmonics and thermodynamics because I knew it wasn't in the year 12 syllabus but it's gonna be a time waster if I have to go back.
Thats the exact reason I regret doing 3 sciences in year 11

AmalJ

HSC
Thats the exact reason I regret doing 3 sciences in year 11
Since you've done 3 sciences in year 11, would you mind placing them in a list from the most you liked to the least? Still have until tomorrow to finalise the selection and I've chosen 3 sciences which I'm realising probably wasn't the smartest decision haha

Thank you!

osciggyz

HSC
Since you've done 3 sciences in year 11, would you mind placing them in a list from the most you liked to the least? Still have until tomorrow to finalise the selection and I've chosen 3 sciences which I'm realising probably wasn't the smartest decision haha

Thank you!
no problem
Least favourite was definetly physics, hated the teacher and didnt enjoy the subject. Second favourite/least favourite was biology. Pretty interest subject but too much memorising made me dislike. My personal favourite is chem, good teacher, interesting subject and not as much memorising as biology and not as much maths as physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)