What would you like to see on BOS? (1 Viewer)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I can't stress this enough

pls pls pls

could we get syntax highlighting css, or some leniency with HTML usage so that we can do our own syntax highlighting? Maybe have HTML access scale with forum rep so it doesn't get abused by troll accounts or something

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Can we remove rep limiters for people with gold bars?
Like, there are multiple instances per day that I want to rep InteGrand but "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to InteGrand again."

I understand it's in place to prevent abuse, but people who have gold have already reached the visible limit (excepting dodgy admin rep ahaha), and the reason they are on gold in the first place is that they have quality posts

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Can we remove rep limiters for people with gold bars?
Like, there are multiple instances per day that I want to rep InteGrand but "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to InteGrand again."

I understand it's in place to prevent abuse, but people who have gold have already reached the visible limit (excepting dodgy admin rep ahaha), and the reason they are on gold in the first place is that they have quality posts
I don't think it's limited to gold rep members, it's for everyone.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I don't think it's limited to gold rep members, it's for everyone.
Ah, it's worded badly ahaha

I mean, only remove the limiter just for people who are on gold, and leave it limited for everyone else

bangali

HSC
it's the internet
so... that's a decent excuse to be racist, religiously intolerant, trollish, flaming, abusive and somewhat inhuman?

(not saying you're all like that haha, no way, just giving feedback on my feeling of the pervasive culture as a newbie)

D94

HSC
N/A
so... that's a decent excuse to be racist, religiously intolerant, trollish, flaming, abusive and somewhat inhuman?

(not saying you're all like that haha, no way, just giving feedback on my feeling of the pervasive culture as a newbie)
You're talking about literally a handful of regular members.

You make it sound as if the majority of members are like that.

bangali

HSC
You're talking about literally a handful of regular members.

You make it sound as if the majority of members are like that.
Actually beg pardon - you're right.

I guess as a newbie and onlooker... it's just that that 'handful' stands out sore-thumb-style and muddies the waters of the whole place. I also don't see the mods stepping in and taking action (though they probably do more than I realise; I'm new haha) which isn't a good look for the site. I read Nailgun's link, but I actually do see it as the mods' role to remove serious flaming/racism/inappropriateness/inhumanity as far as possible; this forum should be a safe place for all and these users seriously threaten that. Plus what we do on the internet shapes our entire *society*. (To be fair, I'm also just less used to the fairly impolite/crude/'tough love' culture on here in general.)

Also ngl, I made my comment in anger last night, because I'd been reading lots of mental health-related threads on the forum, which ALL contained too many absolutely disgusting and destructive comments about what is a very serious issue (and some good comments, true).

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't really agree with this one - I like reading some of the shorter threads from the beginning. Just click the biggest page number in the little square to load the last page.
or you could can click the double arrow, to jump to the last post.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually beg pardon - you're right.

I guess as a newbie and onlooker... it's just that that 'handful' stands out sore-thumb-style and muddies the waters of the whole place. I also don't see the mods stepping in and taking action (though they probably do more than I realise; I'm new haha) which isn't a good look for the site. I read Nailgun's link, but I actually do see it as the mods' role to remove serious flaming/racism/inappropriateness/inhumanity as far as possible; this forum should be a safe place for all and these users seriously threaten that. Plus what we do on the internet shapes our entire *society*. (To be fair, I'm also just less used to the fairly impolite/crude/'tough love' culture on here in general.)

Also ngl, I made my comment in anger last night, because I'd been reading lots of mental health-related threads on the forum, which ALL contained too many absolutely disgusting and destructive comments about what is a very serious issue (and some good comments, true).
We actually do step in as often as we can and take action on such comments that you have described. However, a significant portion of the most active mods has only been mods for the last two years, so if comments were made before that, we may not actually have seen the comment and so it might be unreasonable to expect us to taken action on comments we haven't seen or which hasn't been brought to our attention or when we didn't have the power to delete/ban/infract individuals. Keep in mind we are doing this as a free/volunteer service (fact:all moderators moderates this forum in their spare time, with many moderators having full time jobs and the other moderators also studying uni degrees and have a variety of extra-curricular commitments to fulfil, the time we can spend to monitor the forum is actually limited), so it is impossible/unreasonable to expect we will be able to monitor every single thread for the comments you have criticised, and hence that's why we have a reporting thread system where if you see anything you feel is serious, you can report it to us and we will look into it further. We seek your understanding and cooperation in this matter in continue to promote this forum as accessible, safe and inviting to use.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Meh, those comments were made almost 13 years ago, people change, forums change and overall society has changed. I wouldn't consider that to be largely relevant anymore.
The age of shitposting

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There's a line between freedom of speech and abuse/trolling/etc

We delete what we find that crosses the line into abuse/trolling/etc. If it's freedom of speech to a tolerable extent then it's fine to leave it. If they take it too far, then we do our best to delete it.

In future, please read some of the posts multiple times if it concerns you. If you think it has crossed the line, please press the "Report Post" button (the triangle with an exclamation mark on it) and tell us what you find wrong with it. We will make the final call on what to do.

enoilgam

HSC
We actually do step in as often as we can and take action on such comments that you have described. However, a significant portion of the most active mods has only been mods for the last two years, so if comments were made before that, we may not actually have seen the comment and so it might be unreasonable to expect us to taken action on comments we haven't seen or which hasn't been brought to our attention or when we didn't have the power to delete/ban/infract individuals. Keep in mind we are doing this as a free/volunteer service (fact:all moderators moderates this forum in their spare time, with many moderators having full time jobs and the other moderators also studying uni degrees and have a variety of extra-curricular commitments to fulfil, the time we can spend to monitor the forum is actually limited), so it is impossible/unreasonable to expect we will be able to monitor every single thread for the comments you have criticised, and hence that's why we have a reporting thread system where if you see anything you feel is serious, you can report it to us and we will look into it further. We seek your understanding and cooperation in this matter in continue to promote this forum as accessible, safe and inviting to use.
Couldnt agree more with this - the team has worked hard over the years to stamp negative conduct and I think we have definitely seen a strong improvement over the past 5 years.

There's a line between freedom of speech and abuse/trolling/etc

We delete what we find that crosses the line into abuse/trolling/etc. If it's freedom of speech to a tolerable extent then it's fine to leave it. If they take it too far, then we do our best to delete it.
I also agree with this - ultimately, this is the internet and people are free to express an opinion even if it is unpopular and poorly presented. Also, you need to have a thick skin and not take some things too seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)