When will Ruse's #1 position streak end? (1 Viewer)

Which type of school will beat Ruse one day?

• Private or Religious School

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • Selective School

Votes: 119 61.3%
  • Random Comprehensive School

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • No-One

Votes: 45 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peeik

HSC
which was the last school to become ranked 1 before ruse's reign?

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
SBHS, well, I don't really know much about them but I really don't see them being enough to take the throne unless they have an exceptional cohort.
This will never happen. We have a cohort of 205-210 each year. Extracurricular imports will drag the school's overall academic performance down (not that I care). They benefit the school overall. Only way it might happen is if the school cuts all ties to GPS and other extra curricular activities (which would be shit for the school).

jamesruserox

small member
HSC
There would be plenty of drama if Ruse fell down from 1st in the State, but I don't see that happening in the near future unless they have a horrible cohort (even weaker than 2011 - no offence) and the school overtaking it (most likely a selective school) has an extremely strong cohort. Also, there are many who did not enter Ruse and decided to go to other Selective Schools... these schools might have a chance to overtake Ruse.
In fair judgement, a miracle has to occur for Ruse to collapse in the HSC
this^ imo

a 'galatic alligment' of hsc cohorts needs to occur to break the streak

m.jakaran

HSC
This will never happen. We have a cohort of 205-210 each year. Extracurricular imports will drag the school's overall academic performance down (not that I care). They benefit the school overall. Only way it might happen is if the school cuts all ties to GPS and other extra curricular activities (which would be shit for the school).
Personally I don't see us ever coming close to Ruse. To an extent I think GPS is irrelevant and only a few people manage to lose out academically because they can't manage their commitments. Anyway, IMO the big problem is that apart from Ruse, every other top 10ish selective school has a bimodal distribution where you have a good 10-35% of the cohort getting around 99 and then 45-65% getting around 97. (In other words "cutting the tail" of 85-95 atars isn't really going to make a difference.) Ruse doesn't have that. It just has a regular left skewed distribution around 99.5 and only around 15% of students get below 99. Basically what I'm saying is that it is going to be extremely difficult to move that mass of 97/98 up to 99 and that's why it'd be so hard to beat ruse. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

theycallmebob

HSC
they are way too far ahead of the other top 10 schools to go down any time soon

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt it'd be a private school. The expensive private schools (Kings, Scots, Newington etc.) are all ranked higher than 60. If it was a private school, i'd put my money on Moriah.

It'll probably be a selective school, most likely Baulko (Fort Street is on the rise though, I hear :p)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, Ruse is just too strong of a school to take down any time soon - it would need a lot of time to catch up to them. Though, I think all of the top 5 or so selective schools have the potential to beat them.

khfreakau

HSC
Baulko has a very strong head, but a long (= weak) tail. I can't see us beating Ruse anytime soon unless we cut our cohort size down from ~200 to 110ish and lessen the gap between the top and the bottom of the grade.
pretty much. the cohorts at bhhs are far too big and there are far too many dropkicks who don't care about their studies. the only way baulko will ever beat ruse is if they decide to cut down their cohort size. cutting out just 20 students who get 0 band 6s would boost the school's success rate by about 10-12% to ruse level (based on my cohort's results). considering that the ruse cohort is usually about 20 less than the baulko cohort, i could actually see baulko overtaking ruse if there is a good year + slightly smaller cohort. unfortunately to my knowledge the cohorts of baulko in coming years aren't outstanding, so i can't see this happening for many years. plus, i doubt the principal would ever change the intake policy.

in saying that, i think the same could be said for sbhs, which has a similarly large cohort. private wise, sydney grammar has the potential to do it but they also need smaller cohorts. moriah, as alstah mentioned, is a very good school with a similar problem to baulko - strong head, not so great tail. i don't know about their cohort sizes though so i can't comment.

really though, it just comes down to simple math. the first school to realise that reducing their cohort sizes will improve their rank will reap the benefits.

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Lol what benefits? Are there actually any benefits to topping the rankings table in the SMH?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

ClassOf2013

HSC
Any non selective private school that also offers IB has about as much hope as a comprehensive school in getting top spot. My school also does IB, and 90% of the 'smart' people are doing IB as opposed to HSC. The HSC dux last year was 95.

According to one of my teachers, my school is technically selective for students entering in Year 7 (if they had been at the school in Year 6 they are guaranteed a place). There is an entrance exam all prospective Year 7 students must take (but for students at the school in Year 6, their mark means stuff all, they get in regardless). There are a maximum of 180 places available for Year 7, and if there are more than 180 students wanting to enrol, the school will give the people who perfomed best in the entrance exam and students at the school in Year 6 places in Year 7. This hasn't happened for a few years though.

qwerty44

HSC
"with a median Universities Admission Index (UAI) of 99.55 in 2004, and 99.20 in 2005 and 2006"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)