Where are all the real men? :cold: (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You think individualism has made us happier Graney?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
It's not that simple Iron. Individual freedoms on one level - in this case the freedom to self-determine gender without fear of undue persecution - can be compatible with social cohesion or a even a communitarian ethic. Individualism alone does not appear to ensure happiness, but individualism in certain domains nonetheless appears to be important.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
More succinctly, Iron, I call false dichotomy on this one.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
KFunk said:
Individualism alone does not appear to ensure happiness, .
Brain highlighted this and blurred the rest!

Edit, sure. Will continue quest for cheap points

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was just getting at the need to have a fundamental social cohesion to allow people to best develop. But it's no secret that i usually favour the community over the individual my fren

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I was just getting at the need to have a fundamental social cohesion to allow people to best develop. But it's no secret that i usually favour the community over the individual my fren
How does accepting the individual not promote community development?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The whole idea of being governed involves surrendering various individual powers. I prefer these institutions to have more power because i'm convinced that the individual cannot find meaning and satisfaction within themselves. It needs to search the face of God

oo letterman!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron said:
Individualism should be encouraged as much as possible so long as it does not infringe on others safety, freedom and well-being.

I think entrenched cultural, or legal pressure which seeks to deny or restrict our harmless natural instincts is a very unhealthy state of affairs.

Iron said:
i'm convinced that the individual cannot find meaning and satisfaction within themselves. It needs to search the face of God
I might agree with this. However, I don't understand why you think a powerfull state helps individuals find meaning. I'd imagine to develop a real, deep understanding of the nature of humanity, is most easily acheived when freedom is maximised.

Being loving and subservient to the state is not my idea of a meaningfull life.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Graney said:
Individualism should be encouraged as much as possible so long as it does not infringe on others safety, freedom and well-being.

I think entrenched cultural, or legal pressure which seeks to deny or restrict our harmless natural instincts is a very unhealthy state of affairs.

I might agree with this. However, I don't understand why you think a powerfull state helps individuals find meaning. I'd imagine to develop a real, deep understanding of the nature of humanity, is most easily acheived when freedom is maximised.

Being loving and subservient to the state is not my idea of a meaningfull life.
Natural instincts like murder and rape?
A powerful state doesnt help you FIND meaning, it IS meaning. Country first, a cause greater than yourself etc. (well, that's the atheist version anyway). Together we are strong comrade.
Other than that, you appear to believe that life is perfectible, so get away and dont touch me, poof

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
The whole idea of being governed involves surrendering various individual powers. I prefer these institutions to have more power because i'm convinced that the individual cannot find meaning and satisfaction within themselves.
I think you're revealing more about yourself than you care to think.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I dont usually care to think. That's what the state's for

HSC
I dont get why masculinity is associated with drinking vb. Any self respecting bloke will not drink vb because it is the most disgusting vile tasting beer ever made. Anyone who drinks vb without having a gun pointed to their head is obviously a retard. Also flannos are good because they are durable, cheap and warm? And footy shorts are good because they allow lots of air flow etc.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
squiresshane990 said:
I dont get why masculinity is associated with drinking vb. Any self respecting bloke will not drink vb because it is the most disgusting vile tasting beer ever made. Anyone who drinks vb without having a gun pointed to their head is obviously a retard. Also flannos are good because they are durable, cheap and warm? And footy shorts are good because they allow lots of air flow etc.
VB is better than most Australian beers. It's still rats piss.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
squiresshane990 said:
I like VB. not as much as some other beers, but i do like the bitterness it has. they have to be very cold for them to be good though.

HSC
vb is disgusting imo. carlton draught or extra dry at least. had a james squire the other day. tasted like honey weetbix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)