where to get cheap/discounted books? (1 Viewer)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Berkelouw Books in Oxford Street is one of my favourite first and second hand bookstores in Sydney.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Second hand stores are the best way to go. Most areas have one.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of uni's have like a marketplace online where you can post up your books.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
keep your eye out for book fairs and markets which sell a lot of decent second-hand titles for cheap

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Berkelouw Books in Oxford Street is one of my favourite first and second hand bookstores in Sydney.
I have to agree. This place is awesome <3

Also, have a look around at book exchanges and second hand bookstores and even just thrift stores and op shops like the Salvos and Lifeline. Markets and garage sales and all that. Sometimes libraries sell old library books for cheap too.
There's also a super huge second hand bookstore in Newtown. I don't quite remember the name of the store though.

Borders generally have discount tables as well.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I have to agree. This place is awesome <3

Also, have a look around at book exchanges and second hand bookstores and even just thrift stores and op shops like the Salvos and Lifeline. Markets and garage sales and all that. Sometimes libraries sell old library books for cheap too.
There's also a super huge second hand bookstore in Newtown. I don't quite remember the name of the store though.

Borders generally have discount tables as well.
it's called goulds. there's just no point going there if you are looking for something in particular because you will never find it. it's a massive warehouse full of second hand books that are not really sorted into any particular order, so it's fun if you just want to pick up anything

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Basement Books in Railway Square.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
it's called goulds. there's just no point going there if you are looking for something in particular because you will never find it. it's a massive warehouse full of second hand books that are not really sorted into any particular order, so it's fun if you just want to pick up anything
I might visit there when I'm in Sydney next... saturday? Sounds like fun :D

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
this place is awesome, picked up a robin hobb for 6.95. they have some good stuff.
They normally have most of the Wordsworth Edition classics for $7 each. I go in a every few months and spend about $50 buying anything that looks good. I normally walk away with 10 or so books. Reason most of them are so cheap is because they have slight defects which makes them unsellable at retail price, but still readable.

Flying_Penis

Banned
HSC
Im not really sure, but i think from a book store? Im pretty sure they sell books? Oh wait dont worry, they sell Bananna's.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Not to mention it's a claustrophobic and/or OCD person's nightmare. That place is craaazy packed with books.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Basement Books in Railway Square.
Seconded (or thirded whatever). Best collection of non-fiction stuff. Some of them not that old, probs less than 5 years.

True about the defection thing though. I bought one of those hardcover books where they put in their own ones (à la library hardcovers) and the prices were slashed by a lot. Great place for books.

HSC
They normally have most of the Wordsworth Edition classics for $7 each. I go in a every few months and spend about $50 buying anything that looks good. I normally walk away with 10 or so books. Reason most of them are so cheap is because they have slight defects which makes them unsellable at retail price, but still readable.
i haven't seen them yet (i tend to hover near sci-fi/fantasy) but i'll check that out the next time i'm there, there are a few classics i want to get... i was lucky, mine was in mint condition. i think a lot of their stuff is remainder stock too, like the last dregs the publishers want to get rid of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)