which is harder: modern or ancient history (1 Viewer)

which is harder

• Total voters

rochelleee

HSC
i do both and soon to drop modern :D:D

modern's a lot of work. involves more reading and is focused on opinions and writing essays about what other historians say. then making some kind of judgement. i think it's more intellectual than ancient.

but ancient has more interesting stuff!

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
ancient is waaay more content.
the historical period is like 8 personalities in one topic! it's just insane really.
modern is kinda my bludgey but i still go well subject.
i do both, and i'd say ancient is a lot harder.
i think you need a lot more sources for ancient, modern you can get away with just throwing in a few historians and some random quotes and you're good. with ancient, like egypt for example, you are using inscriptions, wall paintings, ancient scripts like the amarna letters, palaces, temples...its so much work but scales so bad :(

aus-love.it.or.

HSC
Although it depends on what choices your school makes about which areas to study, in my opinion ancient is ALOT easier, with modern the harder of the two subjects.

Modern has many more events and sole issues which can be dealt with.
(Although this may be due to the fact my school does Tiberius Gracchus / Political Revolution which arent that hard, compared to the mass of content in Germany and Cold War.)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
rochelleee said:

modern's a lot of work. involves more reading and is focused on opinions and writing essays about what other historians say. then making some kind of judgement. i think it's more intellectual than ancient.

i agree with you fully

youngminii

Banned
HSC
rochelleee said:

Only 'cause Year 11 Modern sucks, it's just leadups to everything
Leadup to World War I
And a bunch of other crappy elective topics
==;;

Can't wait 'til we actually do the wars

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I think ancient might be a bit harder since you have to know more dates and names that can be more easily forgotten, and studying ancient history can get confusing sometimes since if focuses a lot on foreign cultures and traditions, rather than global culture that is usually emphasised in modern history.

That's just my perspective though (and only going from year 10 modern and ancient history experience). I feel it was easier to essay write on topics and issues from modern history compared to ancient.

spence

HSC
Pretty sure ancient has more content (my teacher at least gave us a shit load of reading to do) and also requires more analysis

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ancient only has more content because the societies and systems are so removed from our own, so more prereading is required to fully understand it and grasp concepts like helots and periocoi and radical democracy and shit like that.

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
ancient only has more content because the societies and systems are so removed from our own, so more prereading is required to fully understand it and grasp concepts like helots and periocoi and radical democracy and shit like that.
no
the ancient syllabus is much bigger

you can't study modern history without reading about previous periods
notable example: Communist Russia
you need to understand the Hegel dialect, Russia's social and cultural history, the Industrial Revolution etc etc to understand many of events/policies of the USSR

prereading is required of both histories
but ancient has more actual content

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Fair point.

I perhaps just enjoy modern more and find the prereading to be alot more leisurely than that for ancient.

*shrug*

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I guess individual interest plays a large part I suppose....you'd probably find Mod or Ancient more easier if you have a greater interest in it.

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Fair point.

I perhaps just enjoy modern more and find the prereading to be alot more leisurely than that for ancient.

*shrug*

lol modern's the best
it's so relevant
i love it

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i would have loved to have done ancient history but the class was full when i signed in so i couldn't now it has heaps of room ans was offered a place in it but i said no cause i missed out on all of year 11 oh well.

But i think ancient would be harder due to the differing social strata, names but in respect i find it easier to understand and remember then modern history (going by 7-10) plus i never liked studying modern history.

HSC
modern is definately harder, it requires more...thinking

ancient is more like he said this she said that

Schoolboy

HSC
Ancient is soooooooooooooooo much harder, I do it myself.. but I have friends that do both. Unlike modern, which is current and has reliable information, in Ancient history you have to discuss both modern AND ancient sources. I.e in the Persian Wars.. Herodotus is completely biased.. and there is nearly about 2 traditions for every event that occured!

Its all based on uncertainties and you have to qualify them.. wheras, modern is all know.

Anyways, that's my piece haha :haha:

stompy

HSC
The question itself is quite silly. Both have their difficult sections, and both have their easy sections. Certain people will find Modern easier, and others will find Ancient easier. Ultimately, it's up to the individual, meaning it's practically impossible to argue either way.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
stompy said:
The question itself is quite silly. Both have their difficult sections, and both have their easy sections. Certain people will find Modern easier, and others will find Ancient easier. Ultimately, it's up to the individual, meaning it's practically impossible to argue either way.
i agree 100%

zaqwerty

HSC
I believe that BOTH modern and ancient are made easier with the addition of History Extension. I did modern and extension and I found it gave me such an edge over those in my class. I even brought in some of the points from extension into my modern HSC exam. Helped a lot in the WWI section!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
zaqwerty said:
I believe that BOTH modern and ancient are made easier with the addition of History Extension. I did modern and extension and I found it gave me such an edge over those in my class. I even brought in some of the points from extension into my modern HSC exam. Helped a lot in the WWI section!
I thought extension was a pain in the ass..
No?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)