which is harder: modern or ancient history (1 Viewer)

which is harder

• Total voters

zaqwerty

HSC
It would very much be a pain in the ass if you weren't interested in what it's all about, but I thought it was awsome.

Of course, you DO have to be very good at essays and at forming an argument, but if you CAN form a good argument, then any answer is suitable (as long as you back it up of course).

Granted, there is a lot of reading and research and work involved, but it is well worth it. It is not the kind of subject that, in five years, you will have forgotten everything you learnt. This is because you are not learning content, you are learning how to think deeply and how to argue in an analytic and sophisticated way.

ASNSWR127

HSC
No history is "hard"

simply a challenge to find out more about the subject and thus the world.

I have never 'studied' for a history exam and have got over 95 for every exam... I simply read and read and discover.

Simply with the attitude that history is NEVER a competition and a "mark" but one of the most important things that we as a species can take note of.

jellybelly59

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
No history is "hard"

simply a challenge to find out more about the subject and thus the world.

I have never 'studied' for a history exam and have got over 95 for every exam... I simply read and read and discover.

Simply with the attitude that history is NEVER a competition and a "mark" but one of the most important things that we as a species can take note of.
LOL damn i wish i had that attitude towards modern history hahaha

dangerous11

HSC
modern involves much analysation where as ancient is based on referances to sources and the use of interpretation..i enjoy both but i think modern will have to go soon!

S o r - P o r

HSC
It depends on the individual and the topic; for me, I deal with modern better because I find it interesting. For ancient, we have to rely solely on artefacts and theories while we actually get historical documents in modern history.

Plus, I find it easier to remember my modern history notes.

joshoh

HSC
I regret not doing both. I only took Ancient.

History was cool because it's real.Rather than the deep meaningful, analytical rambling's of some subjects, there is a right or a wrong answer, so if it's dealing with what you are interested in, you will find it easy to study.

Mod tends to scale better than ancient though.

aimhigh10

HSC
i think it depends on which one you are more interested in

well thats what my history teacher told me...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
joshoh said:
I regret not doing both. I only took Ancient.

History was cool because it's real.Rather than the deep meaningful, analytical rambling's of some subjects, there is a right or a wrong answer, so if it's dealing with what you are interested in, you will find it easy to study.

Mod tends to scale better than ancient though.
are you kidding me?

katelayer

HSC
N/A
For the first semester of year 11 I did both, and Ancient History is definately more work, although Modern History is harder.
I dropped Ancient because I'm lazy.

tku336

HSC
they're both a lot of work to do well in.

but since there's only one essay in ancient and two in modern, its probably easier to get higher marks in ancient.

although on the other hand, thats reflected in the lower scaling of ancient. as in, a 97 aligned in ancient becomes only 92 scaled, yet a 97 aligned in modern is over 96 scaled.

alexandraclaire

HSC
i do both and modern is hands down so much harder . as long as you know ur content and can conclude things froms sources ancient is cool, there is so much in modern. we are currently learning the weimar republic which equals DEATH.
however i love both!

cherii2007

HSC
I. Want. To. Drop. Modern!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and I don't do Ancient. We have like 12 people in our year doing Ancient History-- most of which are bludges. =\

History is getting really tough, and I think I'm going to have to drop modern because I won't be able to handle it for the HSC. Also, you have to be interested in the topics to do well in it. History doesn't really interest me much. I'm sure if I did Ancient, I'd still feel the same way.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I like History a lot, but the uncertainty of sources and the Archaeology stuff in Ancient (boring) means I prefer Modern. Hence why I picked Modern over Ancient. Also Modern tends to scale disgustingly well compared to Ancient. In my grade there's 50 people doing Ancient and only 19 doing Modern, and out of those 19 maybe 10 will drop it next year, leaving only 9 of us.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
they're both a lot of work to do well in.

but since there's only one essay in ancient and two in modern, its probably easier to get higher marks in ancient.

although on the other hand, thats reflected in the lower scaling of ancient. as in, a 97 aligned in ancient becomes only 92 scaled, yet a 97 aligned in modern is over 96 scaled.

Um, what? The ancient exam has 2 essays, 1 extended response set of questions (which turns out like an essay anyway) and then the short answer.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
I like History a lot, but the uncertainty of sources and the Archaeology stuff in Ancient (boring) means I prefer Modern. Hence why I picked Modern over Ancient. Also Modern tends to scale disgustingly well compared to Ancient. In my grade there's 50 people doing Ancient and only 19 doing Modern, and out of those 19 maybe 10 will drop it next year, leaving only 9 of us.
year 11 ancient was pretty shit to be honest and not nearly as much work. year 12 was when it really got interesting. the 'archaeological stuff' is expected, considering it is ancient history after all, but all that is integrated within the subject so you don't just talk about archaeology.

my school was the opposite, we had about 18 people doing ancient and of those 18 only 3 or 4 hung around for the entire duration of the HSC exam.

Bek93

HSC
i only do modern, and i don't think it's that hard, as long as you can do essays.

tku336

HSC
no no, ancient has only one essay.it has:

sources

society

personality

essay.

whereas in modern history, there is:

sources

personality

essay

essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)