Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Monstar

HSC
Re: Best Business Faculty

Jennyness said:
Good news! Macquarie Uni are going to lower its entry standards from next year onwards so it will be easier for you to get into Macquarie uni.

If you dont obtain the UAI cut-off mark for any of its courses (which are already quite low compared to UNSW and USyd), then you can sit this aptitude test as a second chance to get in.

wtf is up with you ? It says you did hsc in 2003. Which means you've probably graduated. Which means you oughta stop hanging on unsw's balls, bro. How is the aptitude test a bad thing? For one thing i think its more precise than the hsc.

to the OP, it doesnt really matter where you go man. its all the same. I go to mac, but i could've gone to unsw or uts.. but i chose mac cause its closer haha which means i drive to uni. In the end just chose what you want. If you want double degrees and take longer, come here. If you want double majors and graduate faster go to Uts unsw usyd.

anaoum

HSC

Monstar said:
to the OP, it doesnt really matter where you go man. its all the same. I go to mac, but i could've gone to unsw or uts.. but i chose mac cause its closer haha which means i drive to uni. In the end just chose what you want. If you want double degrees and take longer, come here. If you want double majors and graduate faster go to Uts unsw usyd.
i want to do bachelor finance and bachelor of commerce-accounting.

thats a double degree right?

another thing i dont understand is why maquaries single degrees have a higher uai cut of then there double degrees?

Monstar

HSC

anaoum said:
i want to do bachelor finance and bachelor of commerce-accounting.

thats a double degree right?

another thing i dont understand is why maquaries single degrees have a higher uai cut of then there double degrees?

Yeah, its a Bachelor of Applied FInance/Bcomm-accounting...

someone was explaining to me the difference between normal finance and applied finance...but i wasnt really listening.

And yes, just as Musk said its all supply and demand. From recollection, i think the uai cut off for the finance and accounting double degree was like 88?

anaoum

HSC

Monstar said:
Yeah, its a Bachelor of Applied FInance/Bcomm-accounting...

someone was explaining to me the difference between normal finance and applied finance...but i wasnt really listening.

And yes, just as Musk said its all supply and demand. From recollection, i think the uai cut off for the finance and accounting double degree was like 88?
87.3 this year

lifesucks

Nerd And Proud of It
HSC

everyone is talking about usyd and unsw, but my big question is: will i get disadvantaged in the workplace if i did a commerce degree in maq?

its uai is certainly much lower... so thats why im looking at it. my career advisor says no, its all the same. but that seems to be counter intuitive. if maq is lower uai, wouldnt everyone just do a degree there? (if all the courses are the same)

so what is it really?

Rorix

HSC

A lot of people on here would probably BS you and say it doesn't matter..but the truth is:

Yes.

But if you can't get USYD/UNSW, Macq is probably the 3rd best choice.

phrred

HSC

Many recruiters apparently have UTS on par with unsw/usyd

Rorix

HSC

According to who? UTS is definately underrepresented in IB graduate intake, Macq performing better. UWS nowhere to be seen.

is a roflcopter
HSC

ib hr lady "We do not consider UTS for front office positions"

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

lifesucks said:
everyone is talking about usyd and unsw, but my big question is: will i get disadvantaged in the workplace if i did a commerce degree in maq?

its uai is certainly much lower... so thats why im looking at it. my career advisor says no, its all the same. but that seems to be counter intuitive. if maq is lower uai, wouldnt everyone just do a degree there? (if all the courses are the same)

so what is it really?
Yea you will be disadvantaged. Your career advisor probably wouldn't know why though. That's why she's a career advisor.

Someone said UAI is based on demand and supply. See above. That's why Macq has a lower UAI. If everyone was going to do a degree there, it's UAI wouldnt' be so low.

turtleface

HSC

Great UNSW has become a "school" like Law "school" or Medical "school"

I'd like to continue to attend a University thanks!

-matty-

HSC

This is on the same topic, but no one has really brought it up yet..

How is Newcastle Uni? I'm looking at combining B Business and B Commerce there, but Newcastle doesn't have the reputation like the Sydney uni's. I'd be going to Newcastle because it is much closer, etc, but I am unsure on how disadvantaged I will be after I complete the degree..

Conspirocy

HSC

-matty- said:
This is on the same topic, but no one has really brought it up yet..

How is Newcastle Uni? I'm looking at combining B Business and B Commerce there, but Newcastle doesn't have the reputation like the Sydney uni's. I'd be going to Newcastle because it is much closer, etc, but I am unsure on how disadvantaged I will be after I complete the degree..
if ur that worried do honours

hjudge05

HSC
USYD vs UTS. Who's better ???

which university is better for a bachelor of primary education?

i know that UTS does more pracs and at a earlier date - which i really like.

although ive been told that USYD is better in instilling better teaching techniques or something.
im not sure.
does anyone know a good website that compares the two? i have heard that there is a book. but thats all i know...

thanks

christinahk

HSC
N/A
Usyd vs. UNSW vs. UQ, which one is better for econ?

i applied for MSc econ of these three uni & have been given firm offer, but i am not sure whcih is best in econ? (i know their ranking in general, but not quite sure how they differ between subjects.)

thanks!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Usyd vs. UNSW vs. UQ, which one is better for econ?

politik said:
Econometrics is better at UNSW. More general Economics courses also.
Econometrics is a watered down stats major. It's not really a good indicator of what economics faculty is better.

Conspirocy

HSC

I would go to unsw for this course. It seems more structured at UNSW compared to the Usyd one. Additionally, someone has said looking at who is better at econometrics isn't an indicator. I would disagree because at a Masters coursework level you are essentially wanting to do a higher level of mathematics to gain a greater understanding of economics.

Further, I would argue that unsw at the moment has the better academic staff due to their higher level of success in achieving academic grants. Also, the fact that the university is the leader in super and age economics, or is at least well ahead of usyd is another factor in favour of unsw, as this area of economics will be a major consideration into the future.

The level of econometrics I have studied in an undergraduate degree at unsw for an economics major is well beyond that of usyd. By that I mean the core econometrics courses taught, not the further majors and options.

Industry feedback that I have heard about UNSW vs USYD economics graduate is that the USYD graduates are more into solving corner solutions, and are strictly theoretical. Whereas the UNSW students have the same knowledge of the theory but take a more practical approach to problems when working in a commercial environment. They did not say which was better over the other, only that there was a trade-off between the two.

Personally, one of the biggest detractors of the USYD economics faculty is due to the split between economics, and economics and social sciences. This divide in the schools of thought within the school can result in the same name degree from Usyd producing students with different skills and knowledge, that is nowhere near consistent.

That being said, I would not really say USYD or UNSW can be greater. They are unique. The only reason I would give it to UNSW is because of the higher level of research being conducted. This means as a student you have access to these academics. In economics I feel it’s important to learn under the leading academics. In Australia, on average, I would argue these leading academics are at UNSW.

christinahk

HSC
N/A

thanks alot! i quite agree with the research standard of unsw is ahead of usyd.

i also want to know if i include melb u & monash, how do you put them in sequence then? (in terms of reputation, teaching quality, research achievements)

thanks again!

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC

velox said:
I would ditch UQ to start with. After that, i'm not sure.
Why would you ditch UQ to start with?

Also.. have you been offered a firm place by UQ? Cos their offer rounds haven't started yet :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)