Which language would you teach your kids to speak first? Why? (1 Viewer)

Which language would you teach your kids to speak first?

• Total voters

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Would teach English first before Cantonese because that was the method my mother used.

JayCakie

HSC
I would teach them English, as it was my first language and the main language here in Australia. I would also try to teach them either French, because I learnt French when I was young and found it interesting.

If my (future) children are not interested in learning another language other than English, I wouldn't force them to learn it. I think speaking different languages would be slightly beneficial e.g. future job prospects or if they want to travel overseas, communication doesn't have to be a large barrier.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Would teach English first before Cantonese because that was the method my mother used.
If you want your kid to be able to speak cantonese, it should be taught 1st. English being universal here will present no difficulties.

I've seen many Chinese migrant mothers speaking to their young kids in their 2nd-rate English. Children growing up here usually have no pride in their Asian heritage. If they are not given the vital start in their heritage language, then they can kiss it goodbye - i.e. if they give it a damn. The Korean kids mostly can speak Korean. They are proud to be Koreans. The Chinese usually are not so proud of their roots, from my observation.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i'd teach them english first and my parents will teach them urdu/punjabi.

It's important to preserve your culture imo, but also to be prepped for society, so whilst i'd prioritise english, I'd like them to learn the language of their culture too.

HSC
I would teach English because my viet is so dodgy let alone be taught. It depends what nash my partner is though

HSC
N/A
I'm half Indian, a quarter French and a quarter Brazilian so I've been brought up with a lot of languages around me lol!
I can understand Hindi, French and Nepalese (I was born in Nepal) but I sound like a retard speaking it so I can't really speak any of those languages, and I can only understand bits and pieces of Portuguese :\
I'm definitely going to make my children learn Hindi and French so they can at least talk to my parents haha, and like others have said, they'll learn English as they get older.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
i'd teach them english first and my parents will teach them urdu/punjabi.

It's important to preserve your culture imo, but also to be prepped for society, so whilst i'd prioritise english, I'd like them to learn the language of their culture too.
Mundia

They will pick up their English in no time flat. Once they become accustomed to communicating in English, they'll have less motivation learning an alien language. So they should 1st acquire punjabi/urdu before it is too late. Once that critical 1st 4-yr is lost, it becomes irretrievable. Believe you me.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want your kid to be able to speak cantonese, it should be taught 1st. English being universal here will present no difficulties.

I've seen many Chinese migrant mothers speaking to their young kids in their 2nd-rate English. Children growing up here usually have no pride in their Asian heritage. If they are not given the vital start in their heritage language, then they can kiss it goodbye - i.e. if they give it a damn. The Korean kids mostly can speak Korean. They are proud to be Koreans. The Chinese usually are not so proud of their roots, from my observation.
Yeah, most viet, chinese, etc. kids tend to appreciate Korean and Japanese hobbies more such as K-Pop, Korean Drama and Anime. I'm a perfect example.
Though, I'm not ashamed to be Viet or anything (because Viet food is da best).
I'm perfectly happy to be Viet.

funnytomato

HSC

I think this is actually quite sad because not only would they lose the ability to speak another language(and/or appreciating their cultural heritage), nor would they be able to communicate to their parents well enough when they grow up (just guessing, I could be totally wrong about this part )

but I think , eventually, we're gonna be assimilated anyways

jnney

lemon
HSC

That is very true.

However, I am very proud to be Chinese. :D:D

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mundia

They will pick up their English in no time flay. Once they become accustomed to communicating in English, they'll have less motivation learning an alien language. So they should 1st acquire punjabi/urdu before it is too late. Once that critical 1st 4-yr is lost, it becomes irretrievable. Believe you me.
+1 to this and your previous post.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'll try them to be at least functional in my parents native tongue.

But if they can't, then it really isn't any loss tbh.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Mundia

They will pick up their English in no time flay. Once they become accustomed to communicating in English, they'll have less motivation learning an alien language. So they should 1st acquire punjabi/urdu before it is too late. Once that critical 1st 4-yr is lost, it becomes irretrievable. Believe you me.
Ok :)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

Very true, it's quite unfortunate to see the number of Chinese people having absolutely no pride or interest in Chinese culture. I myself regret not knowing more about Chinese history and I would wager probably 95% of the new generation of Chinese kids know nothing about Chinese history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)