Which language would you teach your kids to speak first? Why? (1 Viewer)

Which language would you teach your kids to speak first?

• Total voters

Aidejay

HSC
I know this may be pretty far away for me and many of us. But for the people who usually speak another language other than English at home. Would you teach your kids english as their first language? or not?

But then, what if your parents aren't fluent in english then they won't be able to communicate?

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be speaking english with my partner.

Ahh... I really don't know.

What about you guys?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
If I were to speak another language at home, I'd still start with English. Seeing as how it is the dominant language. While at the same time using the other language around them to try and get them to learn it.

Aidejay

HSC
Hmm, don't want them to sound fob.

Last edited:
Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
Well...I'm pretty fluent in Viet.
But I guess I'd be speaking in English with my partner (if I get one)

Since Australia is an English speaking country, I reckon English should be the first language I would teach to my kids. A kid running around speaking something like Viet/Chinese to everyone would look weird.

Second languages such as Viet would prob be taught second to communicate with my parents/uncle/aunt....that sort of thing..

madharris

HSC
N/A
english, australian or american...

glowsticks

HSC
Most likely english. But it could depend on what language my partner speaks. if we both speak different languages, then might as well start off with english and progress onto the other languages.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Punjabi & Hindi is what I would speak with my kids most of the time (since birth). They should know the language, they'll do fine with English because they need it here and can learn it themselves when they get to school. I did fine and they'll also be fine.
As for reading/writing those I'm not too worried, up to them.

Aidejay

HSC
Punjabi & Hindi is what I would speak with my kids most of the time (since birth). They should know the language, they'll do fine with English because they need it here and can learn it themselves when they get to school. I did fine and they'll also be fine.
As for reading/writing those I'm not too worried, up to them.
But like, what happens if your partner speaks another langauge other than punjabi and hindi. But you guys speak english to each other.

metapod

HSC
English. But teaching your child another language first doesn't necessarily make them sound 'fob'. Take us for example :p

Aidejay

HSC
English. But teaching your child another language first doesn't necessarily make them sound 'fob'. Take us for example :p
Yeah thats true. I started learning english in kindergarten. T_T" It's pretty sad how I started going to saturday chinese school before kindergarten.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But like, what happens if your partner speaks another langauge other than punjabi and hindi. But you guys speak english to each other.
tbh don't really plan on marrying someone who isn't Punjabi/Indian :lol:

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably Chinese (Mandarin) as it will become the most spoken language in about 20 years time lol. Damn European debt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)