WHICH ONE DO I PICK USYD VS UNSW AAAAAAAAAAAAAA (1 Viewer)

USYD VS UNSW for Commerce/Computer science

• USYD

• UNSW

Results are only viewable after voting.

NotNed

HSC
Hey friends,
I'm planning on studying commerce and computer science at either UNSW or USYD next year (wish I could consider UTS but they don't have the two degrees combined).
My main concern is...WHICH ONE DO I PICK FROM THE 2 AAAAAAAAAAA.
The matters put forth are:

1) Which course is better?:
- For Commerce: They're the same from what I've found
- For CompSci: I've found that UNSW ranks on top for this one from some testimonials (I fear the idea of USYD making you write your code)

2) Travel time (this one sends a tsunami of shivers down my spine):
- UNSW has an extra 25mins mins of travel; at around 1hour 25mins, in comparison to USYD; 1hour (I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker as I've never had to travel very long distances for anything repetitively)

3) Convenience of location placement:
- USYD is located near the city and is surrounded by an assortment of mouthwatering foods and entertainment
- UNSW has nothing much from what I've heard

4) Social life
- USYD I've heard that most clubs and societies are dead the majority of times - cliques form quickly and don't open up to new people and change much
- UNSW I've heard is the absolute life of the party

I'm suffering under bias due to several family members going to one of the 2 unis mentioned above. Could I pretty please get some opinions and advice on which university I should attend next year for commerce and computer science (or get some personal experiences on these 4 matters I've talked about)?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Given the Coronavirus situation, I'd also add ease/how the University is handling the online learning process because you may find your Units shifting to online or only being offered online.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Both are good universities. I assume your family must be USYD alumni which is why you have this dilemma. It looks like you've already made your decision to be honest (UNSW), the only real pros you've got listed for USYD are related to transport and location -- and as you've alluded to, there might even be better options on those aspects (like UTS).

I'll point out that some of your considerations are actually contradictory by the way though. I believe one of the reasons campus life is so good at UNSW is because it takes so long to get there and there isn't much to do off campus. Students often will stick around campus all day if they do have to go in for the day. At somewhere like UTS, many students will go home or off campus after and between classes.

I'd usually recommend attending open days etc. to get a feel for the commute, campus etc., but it's a bit hard to do that over the pandemic.

dasfas

HSC
Hey friends,
I'm planning on studying commerce and computer science at either UNSW or USYD next year (wish I could consider UTS but they don't have the two degrees combined).

- For CompSci: I've found that UNSW ranks on top for this one from some testimonials (I fear the idea of USYD making you write your code)

- UNSW has an extra 25mins mins of travel; at around 1hour 25mins, in comparison to USYD; 1hour (I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker as I've never had to travel very long distances for anything repetitively)

- USYD is located near the city and is surrounded by an assortment of mouthwatering foods and entertainment

4) Social life
- USYD I've heard that most clubs and societies are dead the majority of times - cliques form quickly and don't open up to new people and change much

I'm suffering under bias due to several family members going to one of the 2 unis mentioned above. Could I pretty please get some opinions and advice on which university I should attend next year for commerce and computer science (or get some personal experiences on these 4 matters I've talked about)?
CS is good at both unis. USYD CS hasn't gotten you to write handwritten code since 2018, and it doesn't seem to be changing back any time soon.

The extra commute adds up quickly.

Social life is good at USYD - idk why there's this reputation lmao. There are wanky college kids sure, but you don't have to have anything to do with them if you don't want to.

Also UNSW has trimesters, major con imo. It's a shitshow for internships and planning holidays with non UNSW friends

notme123

HSC
Hey friends,

4) Social life

There's plenty of food places near unsw and on campus, but if that's what you're after i suggest uts since its in the heart of the city.
Also ye unsw party harder.
But in the end the main deterinant is convenience and if youre able to save 50 mins a day of travel i suggest USYD.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
CS is good at both unis. USYD CS hasn't gotten you to write handwritten code since 2018, and it doesn't seem to be changing back any time soon.

The extra commute adds up quickly.

Social life is good at USYD - idk why there's this reputation lmao. There are wanky college kids sure, but you don't have to have anything to do with them if you don't want to.

Also UNSW has trimesters, major con imo. It's a shitshow for internships and planning holidays with non UNSW friends
Is it true that with trimesters, courses tend to finish earlier than those with semesters?

dasfas

HSC
Is it true that with trimesters, courses tend to finish earlier than those with semesters?
Yeah, trimesters are shorter, but you have 3 of them, whereas semesters are longer, but you have 2 of them.

The disadvantage of trimesters is a) really hectic schedule b) you rush through content hence superficial learning c) no real overlap of holidays except for summer term d) weird start/end dates hence makes scheduling internships harder as they tend to be schedule around the semester schedule

The advantage could be that you take 9 courses a year instead of 8. You might be able to graduate earlier by a couple months if you do that consistently. However, you can also take intensives during the holidays in the semester system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)