Which Selective School? (3 Viewers)

riya03

HSC
^Yes, its 30th July. I still have to send in my application forms.

riya03

HSC
Baulkham Hills, Girra, Penrith and Sydney Girls (In order of priority).

aya-chan

HSC
It's essentially the "survival of the fittest" in selective schools. I know a few friends that go to these top schools, especially one of them that goes to Baulhko. He always tells me that "I'm so damn lucky to go to a school that is easier to get top ranks in". Whinging about the competition and studying completely overwhelms him and shatters his self esteem and confidence.

Although the competition can be taken to your advantage and you can make friends that have similar goals in the future, I've personally realised that it's best to go to your nearest school (private, public, selective - even though it seems contradictory from above). In the end, you can go to a public school with more freedom, do well academically, in extra curricular and receive a high result without the major stress and competition that occurs in a few selective schools.

Besides, I know people who are really shit that got in, thanks to tuition and preparation courses. Their parents pushed them since they were at a young age through several tuition colleges. So it rigs the system in terms of "academically gifted".

To OP: Try out for the top school. If you don't get in, don't have a sook. When the HSC begins, ace all of your exams. That is all.
hey, I go to baulko. It really isn't that bad ... a lot of people don't really care ... we've spent countless periods mass mario kart-ing against each other with our DSes under the table (good times they were ...) I love baulko. =D

and of course, I don't even have to listen in chem. It's so boring. There's always a handy nerdy + cheapo asian that sits next to me that I can talk into teaching me a term's worth of chem in 45 minutes for $2. and I still came 3rd in the class.

Anyway, in the end, you get used to not always coming first in everything. You just learn to try harder. I used to top my primary school maths all the time. I went to baulko and started getting marks in the 60s. I try harder now. I'm in the top class. :D

I did tutoring back in yr 5 and 6. I quit 2 weeks after the selective exam. But I haven't gone back since. and it's working out fine for me ... I think. and I don't really study that much. I'm one of the laziest people ever. keke~

I find that a lot of the pressure, (which really, there isn't that much of) is on the people that are at the top. Especially at baulko and other super smart schools, if you have the top spot ... you have to work hard to stay there.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
and of course, I don't even have to listen in chem. It's so boring. There's always a handy nerdy + cheapo asian that sits next to me that I can talk into teaching me a term's worth of chem in 45 minutes for $2. and I still came 3rd in the class.
Wait - people actually charge for helping with work?

aya-chan

HSC
Wait - people actually charge for helping with work?
haha. well he's such a cheapo asian it's not funny. :(

buuuhhhtt. I had the most time on a wednesday afternoon at the library ... and I know he's free then. and he had all his chem stuff coz he had to go to tutoring afterwards. So it's like the perfect situation. and I don't mind. it's only $2. and that's basically just paying for his train ticket.

aya-chan

HSC
not to mention of course, the self esteem blow he received when I owned him. by a lot.

but it's okay, I'm dropping chem.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
hey, I go to baulko. It really isn't that bad ... a lot of people don't really care ... we've spent countless periods mass mario kart-ing against each other with our DSes under the table (good times they were ...) I love baulko. =D

Anyway, in the end, you get used to not always coming first in everything. You just learn to try harder. I used to top my primary school maths all the time. I went to baulko and started getting marks in the 60s. I try harder now. I'm in the top class. :D

I did tutoring back in yr 5 and 6. I quit 2 weeks after the selective exam. But I haven't gone back since. and it's working out fine for me ... I think. and I don't really study that much. I'm one of the laziest people ever. keke~

I find that a lot of the pressure, (which really, there isn't that much of) is on the people that are at the top. Especially at baulko and other super smart schools, if you have the top spot ... you have to work hard to stay there.
i really wanted to apply to baulko
but they dont ahve any tests..so ye..that sucks =.=

h3ll h0und

HSC
i sent in my application with this order:
1. caringbah
2. girra
3. fort street
4. nsb

i put them in the order of the probability I had in getting in.
o and the caringbah principal was like i'll most proly get in XDD

llol i was thinking of changing the priority order in all the applications..
like when im sending it to nsbhs, nsbhs is first
bwahaha
lmao but ye..didnt do it..
if u get into caringbah and girra which one u gonna go to? ....better be girra lol or else :jedi::shoot::ninja::chainsaw:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Very few people try in prelim.

You will be suprised at who gets the top ranks in year 12.
Agreed.

My ranks just went down heaps for every subject where I came first in for year 11.

ahhh

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Agreed.

My ranks just went down heaps for every subject where I came first in for year 11.

ahhh
My ranks actually went up relative to my prelim 1/2 yearly report, but my ranks were shokcing then and this year there were some surprising marks from a few people who have decided to try >.>

riya03

HSC
Amogh, congratulations!

I haven't yet recieved any letters from any of the selective schools I applied for.

Do you know when Girraween will be posting out the results?

Amogh

HSC
N/A
My friends mum called girra. Apparently the papers go to melbourne for correction. o_O
results will come out a month later from today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)