which uni is 'best'? (1 Viewer)

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
She didn't ask why you should pick a university, she asked which are the most prestigious. Prestige isn't really subjective. From what I've observed, prestige seems to hover around...

Arts/Humanities, Education, Medicine, Science, Law = USyd
Engineering, Commerce/Economics = UNSW
Actuarial Studies = Mac

Once again, that's from what I've observed. Overall, I'd say that yes, USyd has a bit more prestige than UNSW, understandably so.

Might I also add, that if you've asked this question because this is the only thing that it's come down to between two universities, and if it's between UNSW and USyd, pick USyd. UNSW just doesn't compare. :)
And here I am wanting to do combined Structural Eng/Comm at USyd.. purely due to the 40mins saved travelling EVERY day.. which will add up over the 5.5 year (I think) course..

BlytheChloe

HSC
politik said:
Because you've studied there right?

ANU > UMEL > USYD > UNSW > MONASH > UWA > UTS > UADEL > ANYTHING > UWS/NOTRE DAME/CQU
And you would know because you've studied at all those places right?

exospacial

HSC
N/A
How bad is CQU? The Good Uni Guide gave a lot of 5 star ratings but it seems to do quite terrible in ranks and media reports (at least reported in their wiki page). Are the students who go there smart?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
BlytheChloe said:
You're not doing anything to prove Canberra isn't ghastly yet.
it's not ghastly. quite pretty actually. kind of bland, though. and cold (but i mean, it's not like we're talking about finland here. it's very easy to deal with, people just need to grow a pair and buy a jacket).

btw i don't live there. this is just from my experience of it from several visits to random relatives.

HSC
stazi said:
oh and for the future direction of this thread, i found a marketing journal article about prestige. note that this is about prestige for goods, but a lot of these criteria can be modified and applied:

Defining Prestige
The distinction between prestige brands and non-prestige brands has been operationally defined in this paper as the distinction between brands exhibiting five perceived values, contingent on a particular socioeconomic framework.
1. The consumption of prestige brands is viewed as a signal of status and wealth, and whose price, expensive by normal standards, enhances the value of such a signal (perceived conspicuous value).
2. If virtually everyone owns a particular brand it is by definition not prestigious (perceived unique value).
3. The role-playing aspects and the social value of prestige brands can be instrumental in the decision to buy (perceived social value).
4. For a brand which satisfies an emotional desire such as a prestige brand, a product's subjective intangible benefits such as aesthetic appeal is clearly determining the brand selection (perceived hedonic value).
5. Prestige is derived partly from the technical superiority and the extreme care that takes place during the production process. For instance, a Rolex Sea-dweller works 1,220 meters underwater and is hand-crafted (perceived quality value).
hard out!!

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
lovethehsc said:
And yes because i go to a prestigious uni you'll be designing the master bedroom in my bondi beachhouse one day. And I suck cock
Yes i can design your beach house, just as Frank Loyd Wright designed the Falling Water for his client. Sorry i dun recall what's the clients' names tho.

"because i go to a prestigious uni", LOL no comment
Well because i'm from the ghetto, u'll be my bitch. Now bitch go make me som money. *backhands your face*

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
politik said:
Because you've studied there right?

ANU > UMEL > USYD > UNSW > MONASH > UWA > UTS > UADEL > ANYTHING > UWS/NOTRE DAME/CQU
agreed.

Edit, overall thats true, but each university does have its little 'niche' that would make it stronger in that particular field. I.e. UNSW = engineering, Notre = teaching etc.
BTW Notre > UWS lol *evil grin*

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
My uncle who is head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine at Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital said that UWS medical students will never get a job.

BlytheChloe

HSC
ari89 said:
My uncle who is head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine at Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital said that UWS medical students will never get a job.
Our careers advisor/French teacher had a student teacher come from UWS to teach his class after she got her French degree and after the first lesson, concluded that she knew nothing.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
BlytheChloe said:
Our careers advisor/French teacher had a student teacher come from UWS to teach his class after she got her French degree and after the first lesson, concluded that she knew nothing.
Yeah, you missed the point.

It depends more on the student than the institution. A family friend who is the director/head Accountant of some medium sized accounting firm thought he was 'taking a chance' on a UWS accounting graduate however they were the only person from that intake who was offered another contract the following term.

Also, there is story after story of UWS law students working at Minter Ellison, Blake Dawson, Mallesons Stephen Jacques, Allens Arthur Robinson, etc.

But all that isn't to deny that there are drop kicks who get through the uni system with crap marks, no experience or knowledge who scammed their way through on the bare minimum and other peoples notes who would just perform shit and get no where in the real world.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
ari89 said:
Yeah, you missed the point.

It depends more on the student than the institution.
Exactly, the main problem I found with UWS was the students, not the teaching quality or course content. (In fact UWS's Criminal Law and Intro to law courses are better than what I have seen at Mac).

There are a heap of apathetic students at UWS who make it hard for others to learn or to be intellectually stimulated. For example, by the end of 1st year 90% of a law class would not participate in class discussion, its stupid because whether you're going to practice or not you will have to do public speaking at some point in most careers.

All those who say 'I met a UWS student who was crap, thus UWS must be crap' are stupid would you try one type/flavour of potato chips and decide they are all crap? Its stupid you might just be seeing one of the poorer students.

I mainly left UWS because of the crappy students, there are however some fantastic ones that will get decent jobs because they work hard. Not every UWS student is lazy and stupid!

Last edited:

BlytheChloe

HSC
Actually, I think you missed the story.

I agree it's up to the individual. That was an example of a shit student.

And unfortunately UWS actually hands out degrees to those people.

I actually have UWS as my 4th out of 4 preferences because I love one of the courses but would prefer attending UTS for the people, those I can have conversations with without getting frustrated.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
BlytheChloe said:
Actually, I think you missed the story.
Unless you really think this is my uncle, you missed my story:

:D

btw my post was a general comment not just directed to you

BlytheChloe

HSC
ari89 said:
Unless you really think this is my uncle, you missed my story:

:D

btw my post was a general comment not just directed to you
Sorry. I don't watch House.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)