Who has goals of going to Harvard University? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Oxford any day of the year.

No lectures.

Direct 2 hr consultations each week with a world-wide expert in your field. :)

I was there in December, it's incredibly beautiful. The crowded, cobble stone streets...12th Century buildings, an incredibly large library (the outside having been part of the set in Harry Potter 2), the surrounding town full of small creeks and quaint 2-storey thatch houses.

Snow falls, log fires, pints of beer in an AWSOME pub, the smell of fresh roasted coffee in the mornings, sundown at 4 pm....

An academics paradise i say!

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Oxford any day of the year.

No lectures.

I was there in December, it's incredibly beautiful. The crowded, cobble stone streets...12th Century buildings, an incredibly large library (the outside having been part of the set in Harry Potter 2), the surrounding town full of small creeks and quaint 2-storey thatch houses.

Snow falls, log fires, pints of beer in an AWSOME pub, the smell of fresh roasted coffee in the mornings, sundown at 4 pm....

That's one thing that the UK has over the US. The amount of history on the continent and how amazing it is. I'd prefer to go to one of the UK universities for that very reason. Imagine on your vacations, going to Italy, France or whatever to see sights such as the Colosseum, Arc de Triomphe or going to the Louvre. Or a few days down in Bordeaux to drink wine or a trip to Barcelona for Tapas or over to Ibiza for a party. Any of those universities of that prestige level look amazing on your resume, and since Europe has so much more to offer culturally, that's what I'd pick. As for wanting to go to a University like that... Absolutely, but I want to work for a while yet and then do my Masters in Australia. Then I would look at completing a degree at one of the major UK universities.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
maybe as a postgrad to any of the following:

oxford
cambridge
harvard
yale
stanford
cornell
duke
princeton
brown
cornell
mit
new york
berkley
chicago
virginia
Pennsylvania

will probably do a post-grad at ANU though first

That's a really long list... I think you should consider which universities are the best in your field instead of just hoping to get into any one of them just because of the name.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I would love to go to cambridge as a postgrad, for some reason I prefer it much more over Oxford. But I would be happy with anywhere that is a good uni, but its just that the oxbridge universities have so much history. You know, some of these buildings have existed since the thirteenth century. Amazing!! :)
Well I really hope you will make it. It is beautiful here in Cambridge. Everything is so lively and everytime I walk into town I see something new. I haven't been inside the King's College Chapel yet but have been to the outside and it is spectacular.

So much is happening here with renowned experts from around the world coming here to give talks annd editors from famous Scientific journals running workshop for postgrad students. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience if you have a chance to come over.

I wish you the best of luck!

BlackDragon

HSC
That's one thing that the UK has over the US. The amount of history on the continent and how amazing it is. I'd prefer to go to one of the UK universities for that very reason. Imagine on your vacations, going to Italy, France or whatever to see sights such as the Colosseum, Arc de Triomphe or going to the Louvre. Or a few days down in Bordeaux to drink wine or a trip to Barcelona for Tapas or over to Ibiza for a party. Any of those universities of that prestige level look amazing on your resume, and since Europe has so much more to offer culturally, that's what I'd pick. As for wanting to go to a University like that... Absolutely, but I want to work for a while yet and then do my Masters in Australia. Then I would look at completing a degree at one of the major UK universities.

Well I really hope you will make it. It is beautiful here in Cambridge. Everything is so lively and everytime I walk into town I see something new. I haven't been inside the King's College Chapel yet but have been to the outside and it is spectacular.

So much is happening here with renowned experts from around the world coming here to give talks annd editors from famous Scientific journals running workshop for postgrad students. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience if you have a chance to come over.

I wish you the best of luck!
I heart this. :eek:

Thanks Survivor, I hope my honours year goes extremely well and that I can make it :)

Last edited:

arjungamer123

HSC
For undergrad, it's especially hard. Don't worry about the money now (because Harvard's need-blind policy ensures you get as much as you need), just worry about the 4 things you need to get into Harvard:
- SAT Reasoning Test, and get above 2200/2400
- SAT Subject Tests and get above 700/800 on each test
- SPECTACULAR HSC Marks, and by this I mean SPECTACULAR. I've heard of some dude who got 99.90 who got into MIT, but that's the lowest UAI/ATAR I've seen of someone making it into the top-tier of American schools.
- SPECTACULAR extra-curriculars- Aussie uni entrance ain't dictated on extra-curriculars, but American uni entrance is. I have family friends who are Deans at some pretty big unis in America, and they say that they'll accept someone who is well-rounded over some socially-inept nerd anyday. Make sure your extra-curriculars show consistent involvement and not just small amount here and there.

LOL I know I've given you a lot of lofty expectations, but this is just the way it is, that is unless your family can make donations of above $100K US to the uni every year.

To the thread creator, PM if you'd like to talk more about it. I have some knowledge of the system there. xD

rx34

HSC
Wow 100k donations? That's quite a sum. Thanks for the info arjun.

arjungamer123

HSC
Wow 100k donations? That's quite a sum. Thanks for the info arjun.
Haha well, I intended more as exaggeration than anything else, but yeah, it's well known that alumni's donations guanrantee you spots at Harvard.

Additionally, Affirmative Action laws make it so that they accept more African-Americans and Latin-Americans than Caucasian, Asians or Indians. So yeah, you REALLY have to stand out to make it in as one of the latter 3, but if you're one of the former 2, not really.

And don't think I'm joking.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Additionally, Affirmative Action laws make it so that they accept more African-Americans and Latin-Americans than Caucasian, Asians or Indians. So yeah, you REALLY have to stand out to make it in as one of the latter 3, but if you're one of the former 2, not really.

How racist!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no intention of going to Habbadu, Yel, Baklee and Purinceton.

furansugo

HSC
I've heard of low 99s getting into Harvard - admission's based on a combination of factors, and the personal statements seem to play an exceptionally large role.

I'd love to study at Cambridge though. It seems like admission for international students is mostly based on grades (I think you need an ATAR of around 98 or 99), so hopefully it should be OK, as I've already taken a VCE english and a science. I might not be in a position to accept though even if I get in... so I might end up staying in Australia (and hopefully doing my undergraduate at ANU).

Does anyone know of any Cambridge colleges that offer scholarships for international undergraduates?

rx34

HSC

Lol I always imagined the intake to be about 60% white. Didnt know it was that bad.

furansugo

HSC
I read on the Cambridge website that there are college scholarships for international students (even though there's almost no general tuition scholarships), so I might email them and ask about the specific colleges which offer these and what you have to do to qualify.

*sigh*

I think I'll probably end up staying in Australia for undergrad due to the immense cost, but I may as well apply...

And just out of curiousity, what sort of extra curriculars are needed for American universities? I don't think I'll apply, but I'm curious...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)