• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who hates right-wing (religious) conservatives? (2 Viewers)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I am well aware of Bill O'Reilly however being australian and resident in australia my primary concern is with Australian politics US immediately behind.

Besides which for an exmaple of piers you can just pick up the telegraph 'Reilley isnt as easily researched by the layman.

Kierkegaard

HSC
'Right-wing', 'left-wing'--these are all very general terms. There are economic policies and there are social policies. Labor is economically slightly leftist and socially middle. The Liberal party doesn't qualify for economically left or right; they're extreme Keynesians, which puts them off-the-map so to speak. Socially, the Liberal party is moderately right-wing.

Christian Conservatism has a traditional focus on conservative social policies, although some recent movmements (modern Baptists, pentacostals, funamentalists and the Messianic Jews) have been promoting economic egoism. A religion of altruism promoting economic egoism--it's quite the contradictory approach. Still, it makes for riveting viewing.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
www.politicalcompass.org explains the concepts Kierkegaard is talking about.

Pretty much all prominent polticians in the west are in the upper right quadrant - free marketers and socially conservative.

Last edited:

0Jade0

HSC
Bill O'reilly and the rest of Fox news... 'Fair and balanced' my ass.
Interesting how both Fox and Daily telegraph are both Murdoch. Anyway.
I am now boycotting 'Gloria Jeans'

pistolpete123

HSC
I've always voted for the independant because they are local and understand local issues - neither left or right too.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Asquithian said:
Don't pastors get paid a wage? .
not at hillsong, they dont do it that way, the pastors make their $ thru their books and tapes. they do it this way becos so many ppl say that they r just taking it from the offerings. which they dont.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I wonder what The Hillsong Screecher drives. I wager it isn't 1995 Commodore.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Brian and Bobbie Houston aren't actually that rich .... They live near the Hawksbury river .... in a house only big enough to live comfortably .... The money that Hillsong recieves from offerings goes to the morgage of the church and yes they recieve a wage but that is their full time job they work 24/7. They are Hillsongs senior pastors their passion is in god not the wage. All pastors recieve a wage including all Hillsongs youth pastors Scott Samways, Phil Dooley, Lucinda, Nick, The 68er's and Powerhouse. But they deserve a wage because they spend each of their waking lives devoting their lives to the church. And honestly they aren't paid all that well.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
source please..................

And the faithful oblige - last year they filled the Hillsong buckets to the tune of $10 million. The church's music arm also bought in a tidy tax-free $8 million, and one of its albums, Blessed, debuted at No4 in the pop charts, above Shakira, and stayed there for weeks. Hillsong has bought into medical centres. Its Bible college has close to 1700 full- and part-time students, some paying annual fees of more than $4000. It has a staff of almost 200, including 70 pastors. It has built a state-of-the-art conference centre-cum-church worth $25 million. No fewer than five television cameras are mounted in the auditorium; the services are recorded and then televised in more than 80 countries.

Let's not be coy, Hillsong is not a church that is afraid of money - its spiritual leader, Brian Houston, is also the author of You Need More Money: Discovering God's Amazing Financial Plan for Your Life. Is that what makes this the seemingly fastest-growing Christian church in Australia? The census reveals that while millions identify as Catholic, Anglican or other Protestant denominations, few of them actually go to church. There are, for example, 3.9 million Anglicans, but only 180,000 attend church. (The Anglicans are like South Sydney rugby league club supporters - plenty of guernseys, but hardly any go to the games.) The Catholics are way out in front with 875,000 attendees from their 4.7 million flock. But with almost 200,000 people attending Pentecostal services each weekend around the country, they have nudged ahead of the Anglicans. The Pentecostals have a truancy rate of almost nil. What brand of God are they selling that sees the Almighty walking off the shelves, when the traditional churches struggle to give Him away?

Brian Houston, 48, saunters over to greet me, a tall, tanned man with a deep, radio man's drawl, and a silver and gold Breitling watch shimmering on his wrist. The pastor drives, among other vehicles, a Harley-Davidson Fatboy that a friend from overseas gave him.

Last edited:

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
erawamai said:
I wonder what The Hillsong Screecher drives. I wager it isn't 1995 Commodore.
it will be either a ford or a holden becos both companies do deals for the AOG churches. eg- all the staff of my church drive ss's, they buy the cars for a cheaper price, straight from the manufacturers or something, and then after 3 months they sell it and can make some money from it too.

teachers at my skool had the same sort of deal with a diff company.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Brian, Bobbie and sons live right by my aunt, May I say that my source is very very on target .... The money they receive does not solely go to Brian and Bobbie, You said that there is over 70 pastors, they recieve a wage ... As would every other pastor in every other church, they devote their heart and sole into Hillsong. College fees are paid to the teachers, textbooks, resources, equipment. Look at how much it costs to attend UTS or UNSW or even a college in the United states. It is all accountable.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Alot of our constitution, and the constitution of many countries some would argue is based upon christian morals...
However i feel the morals which are in our laws are actually more humanist.

Mr EaZy surely u don't think all of right wing politics is bad... IMO Labor AND Liberal are to the right, i wouldn't exactly call Labor even close to a communist party.
i can understand why people would say that modern day constitutions are based originally from religons. early on they (like moses' tablets) provided religious laws to govern the people right? some were poineers in laws that never existed before. i mean who first taught up of inheritance laws?

but then again, a whole truckload of laws were laid down by people putting their brains together and making the system work! :)

anywayz, i dont think all right wingers are bad, i just based all my judgements on the family first party. i really dislike them :D

what does IMO stand for m8 :)?

i never knew labor was to the right. i only knew julia gillard was a left winger. isnt that right? :confused:

some right winged parties make sense, i mean some (im not praising hitler or anything) like the nazis gave their people wat they needed in their times to get out of the troubles they were in. didnt the western powers praise the nazis for their ability to make germany strong again? im not a fascist, or a very intelligent guy :uhhuh: but i just think that as long as the system works - in providing happiness to all classess of citizens and non citizens , then its good.

well, thats wat i think anyway.

firehose

HSC
These bastards are using the heavenly message of Christianity to their own benefit. Houston can have all the money and possessons he can have in the world but if he is not truly saved by God then he will not enter heaven anyway and it will all be wasted.

Reports that some Hillsong pastors were convicted of prostitution, rape, etc, really questions their true faith.

the question is:
true faith in god......
OR
true faith in god to give u money??....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wtf? name me a christian that follows their faith the way they SAY they do?

Most christian girls i kno are little ho's that lie, cheat and manipulate.

firehose

HSC
Well no Christian can perfectly keep their faith coz everyone is naturally sinful BUT at least they have good intentions in heart...

On the other hand, people who wanna use the Christian message for their own (financial or social, whatever) benefit should really rethink what they're doing.... after all, what would Jesus do? Does the Hillsong fellows think that Jesus would approve of such a money-centric church?

firehose

HSC
Brian Houston and his fellow yuppies are certainly not among the poorest of men..

its richness in faith that counts, not richness in coins :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)