Who wants to get an art-ish job? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to get a job related to art in some way?

• my future career is not art-related

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • artist

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • graphic design/web design/advertising

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • textiles and fashion designer

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • art/design teacher or lecturer

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • architect

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • industrial design/product design

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • interior designer

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • film design/production

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • something else art-ish (explain...)

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
*bump*

hey so you 2003 creatives, i'm interested in whether any of you guys are pursuing arty-farty stuff in uni next year...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
blast from the paaast...

i think there was a thread on uni couses too, i'll see if i can find it

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
cool bananas. it's not that hard, there realy aren't that many threads..

it was weird seeing all these names again- roo, goldabar, 1 more, mercurydrinker.. *sigh* lucky bitches have been able to move on

haha

Goldabar

Wierd, just got an email to remind me about this thread. I remember this :)

It'll be interesting to see who else answers and how close they've come to moving on to do what they wanted to do.

So yeah, my years been great so far, been working here in Canberra full-time on a game called Tribes:Vengeance. You can check out screenshots and things here:

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMedia...getype=medialist&page_title=Tribes: Vengeance

I'm living my dreams and haven't gotten even a little bit cynical yet (well, its only been 7 months). Dunno what else to say :D

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
woah, crazy, goldabar is aliive

well, i'm a boring architecture student, at boring uni.

how long is your contract with this gaming design company goldabar?

Goldabar

As long as the company is around I guess, lol, or at least until I decide to leave. I'm working on a permanent basis :)

We've already started talking about the companies next project (the current one will be finished Christmas next year) and I'm pretty excited about it, so I would like to stick around and work on it. Also the company has a second half in Boston, Massachusarites (I know thats spelt wrong and I have no idea what the correct spelling is :p ) over in the USA, so there's always the chance of moving around.

I should also mention that my first 6 months here came under my probation period, after that I had to have an employee review. So if that went badly I could have been fired, but thankfully it went great :)

MrMiK

i think the chance of getting into graphic design is high for me..
tho 1/3 of all graphic designers are unemployed.
well.. u get that dont u...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
ehh, bugger it.
do what you want, don't worry about the statistics.

personally, i'd rather be an unemployed graphic designer than an employed office bitch :p

(just quietly though, i've heard that the employment rate for industrial designers in australia is really quuite low... like, less than 20% or something... so says my friend in industrial design who's got her fingers crossed that she's one of the lucky ones)

Last edited:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by juventino
I want to become an art teacher
oh really are you gonna do it in uni next year ? or just one of 'em dreams eh ...

well i'm thinking of transferring next year to either art theory or design at COFA and thinking of combining design with art education .

pri

HSC
N/A
if only UNSW arts degrees allowed one to do a major in psychology...

heres my quandry

I wanna study fine arts (coz I love it) and psychology (to make sure I have a hells chance at a job, and I like it too) and I found that COFA offers fine arts/arts (perfect! so I thought) but unlike the sydney arts degree , the uNSW arts degree apparently isnt good enuf for the psych association, so now I have to choose one or the other

:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

I also thought about doing tafe (fine arts) + uni (psych) but there arent enuf hours in a day!!

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I was looking at Interior Design for a while, then I went to the UNSW open day (where I was planning on doing it - UAI pending and all). First words that came out of the lecturers mouth were: "To do Architecture, you have to like people." I was out of there in an instant... People are not my thing.

I remember with our Careers adviser we had to do a test. You know the ones where you select which one out of the two job options you would prefer? I got a 0 in people skills. I was the only person to get a 0 in people skills.:(

And getting back on track... I've decided to go for Industrial Design, or Design in Visual Communications, both at UTS. But, I'm reconsidering. I think that I might go and do a Design fundamentals certificate at TAFE first. I know that when you go to Uni later you need a portfolio and all, but I cn build that up while I'm at TAFE. I have no idea whether it's a good idea or not but... *shrug*

Anyway. Enough about me. I bore myself. :rolleyes: I was just adding in my two cents. :D

Last edited:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
haha daemontrou, why did the lecturer say that oyu have to like people to be in architecture..!? i do'nt thinkt hat's completely true, i just think u need to have patience... a fuckload of it.. :(

and yes, actually, this might sound stupid, but for courses like architecture and design it's often better to do it at Tafe first cos you learn all the basics there.. at uni, they just sorta throw you into everything heaps quickly and it's like "arghh"

that wasn't very eloquent. what i meant was, going to tafe to get portfolio and experience is not that bad an idea

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
haha daemontrou, why did the lecturer say that oyu have to like people to be in architecture..!? i do'nt thinkt hat's completely true, i just think u need to have patience... a fuckload of it.. :(
Well, he said you had to deal with people on a day to day basis, and that most of those people would be pissy and in your face. So if you don't like people you're screwed. I think he may have possibly also been trying to weed out those who were in it for the money etc.

I thought it sounded good, but I am really not a people-person. Just ask someone who knows me (fortunately, no-one here really does. :D).

Mm... More I look at it, more TAFE looks better. But only if I get in... :( The entrance exam and selection requirements look pretty rigorous compared to a waltz-up-with-your-UAI approach...

Ah... I remember when I was a kid I wanted to be an animator - good old days, eh?

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by pri
if only UNSW arts degrees allowed one to do a major in psychology...

heres my quandry

I wanna study fine arts (coz I love it) and psychology (to make sure I have a hells chance at a job, and I like it too) and I found that COFA offers fine arts/arts (perfect! so I thought) but unlike the sydney arts degree , the uNSW arts degree apparently isnt good enuf for the psych association, so now I have to choose one or the other

:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

I also thought about doing tafe (fine arts) + uni (psych) but there arent enuf hours in a day!!

oh my god i had exactly the same problem!except i wanted to major in music. i was so sad when the people at the open day told me it probably wouldn't be possible:( oh well i'll just have to stick to piano lessons outside of uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)