Whoever's Failing General Maths or Gettin Shit Marks This is the Place 4 U (1 Viewer)

JOSH.

HSC
hahahaha, I was in my year's gifted and talented maths class in years 7, 9 and 10.
I was recommended to do Extension 1 Maths (we had a list) but I was like hell no, I chose general and my year 10 maths teacher got so pissed off.

So basically, I bludged all of year 11...did no homework at all, didn't study for yearlies, and for the yearlies I got a mark of 74/100 and came third in my grade for that exam (3/67 general maths students), the marks that beat me were 76 and 77 (both dropped from Mathematics at the end of term 2).

Anyway, I lol'd.
However a lot of Mathematics kids have dropped down for Year 12, and I want to get a good UAI, so I'm actually going to do homework and study this time around.

I only ever did work in class, however despite the fact that year 11 was over, I spent the October holidays doing every chapter review just to make sure I wasn't going to be screwed for year 12.

Hooray for General Maths! I'm not failing, but I do consider my marks shit. Good considering I did nothing the whole year though. I'm so lazy, haha.

JOSH.

HSC
Oh, and what actually makes General Maths difficult:

The questions are always sneaky motherfuckers.

The people who word them are very, very devious. I think they get off on paraphrasing their questions in ridiculous ways.
READ THE QUESTION TWICE IN GEN. MATHS! There's always 1 word that could potentially fuck you up.

aggi

HSC
shit..how embarassing i got 24% for my trials general maths exams...
general maths is much harder then it sounds...

help me!!!!

floe

HSC
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
dat is sooo funniii lloll at the start of the year i was gettin 70-80 im like cool...hehehehe... but slollliii i was lik cant be fuked 4 shit its not like u gunna need area n volume n da other crap dat goes wit it in lifffeeeee. dude im sooo over it like for ma trial i got 65 our average was 45%%%%% . but as i sed maths is shit!!!!u dnt need it dude.
tym to beach it!!!!!!

Instinct77

HSC
yeah this is the one subject that has eluded me all year, the way the questions are worded always gets me in the actual test/exam when im rushing through it, pisses me off.

51% in trials , maths is going to bring my uai down big time unless its an easier hsc exam lol..

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Tulii said:
Did this thread turn into a battle between General Maths and 2U Maths, or is that just me.

I think those who are harshly critisizing people who have chosen General maths as part of there HSC course need to take a good hard look at themselves. Not only is it rude but extremely degrading to the hundreds of students who have chosen it, including myself. No its not because we are "dumb" and we certainly dont need to be told by some cocky stranger that we should be lining up at centre link.

Some people are gifted and have a natural talent in Mathamatics, and I assure you I envy those people, but there are equal numbers of people who would be much better at discussing the significance of a poem structure in a 1000 word essay.

Anyway, for those struggling in general maths, I strongly suggest looking into tutoring or getting some after class help from your teacher. From a personal experience I have found this to be beneficial and pushed my marks from 60-70s to 80-90s.

So good luck to all those studying general Maths! lets ace the HSC no sweat.
I don't struggle in Maths, but I'm still ranked highly in English, lol. You can be good at both.

sxtacy

HSC
i used to have problems with general maths in junior years

but since year 11, my lowest mark has been a 69
with my highest mark being 80%
and thats without ANY study, no homework

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I don't struggle in Maths, but I'm still ranked highly in English, lol. You can be good at both.

You missed my point -.-'

kara42

HSC
I'm not terrible at maths, but I don't like my teacher, so I tend to slack off in class.
She really annoys me so I get really angry in class and don't end up doing my work. So yep... I'm suffering for that. We have four people in our class and I am coming third -___-
I got 20/20 on a trig test though.

JustinM23

HSC
General Maths is faily easy. Although not as easy as I had hoped. I stopped paying attention/doing homework mid year 11 because it was so easy back then. I was ranked top 5. Come HSC and I'm around 35th.

I think the hardest part of G maths is the bordom that is associated with it. Everything is so easy, I found it hard to pay attention. Combine little practice with questions designed to make you slip up and you have a trial mark of 65%

I don't actually concider that terrible, but I could of done a lot better if I had done the time and revised.

radioheaded

HSC
Hardest thing about general maths is the language used, it's ridiculous. The only hard part about it is deciphering the questions, aside from that it's relatively simple.

It's maths in english though. Absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's fucking my uai hard.

EchoRyvre

HSC
Bit late in replying ... but just because I said it was easy I got branded as a 2 unit nerd? HA! I got 4% in my topic test for 2 unit at the beginning of year 11, and I dropped down to general.

Have you noticed most of these people who have said it's really hard use net speak and are saying "stuff it, it's not worth it ... let's go to the beach ... like you're going to use this stuff in real life". They're all just lazy ... if you actually do try it's easy to do well.

And I agree with the language used ... there tends to be quite a few tricks ... make sure to read the questions a few times before starting.

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Tulii said:
Did this thread turn into a battle between General Maths and 2U Maths, or is that just me.

I think those who are harshly critisizing people who have chosen General maths as part of there HSC course need to take a good hard look at themselves. Not only is it rude but extremely degrading to the hundreds of students who have chosen it, including myself. No its not because we are "dumb" and we certainly dont need to be told by some cocky stranger that we should be lining up at centre link.

Some people are gifted and have a natural talent in Mathamatics, and I assure you I envy those people, but there are equal numbers of people who would be much better at discussing the significance of a poem structure in a 1000 word essay.
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

JOSH. said:
The questions are always sneaky motherfuckers.

The people who word them are very, very devious. I think they get off on paraphrasing their questions in ridiculous ways.

READ THE QUESTION TWICE IN GEN. MATHS! There's always 1 word that could potentially fuck you up.
+1

Last edited:

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
this is why i dropped gen maths pretty much a year ago
it was my worst subject. i passed like 1 or 2 assessments .. i am just not good with numbers. i excel in humanities and such.. but omg. maths i just can't do it.
i still can't do trig . i'm bad :(
but idont care i fucking hate maths

hayleyharlequin

, psychotic synchypnotic
HSC
in years 7-8, i was in advanced maths classes and failed miserably! then i was placed in the top general maths class in year 9 and came 4th! which then meant i was placed back in advanced for year 10 and of course, i did terrible. but i knew the maths was never my strong point and that no matter how hard i tried, i wouldn't do that well.

i chose general maths for year eleven and got the WORST teacher ever! his pace for us doing work is crazy and he'll go mental if two people are working a question out together, but does ABSOLUTELY nothing is someone's phone rings in the middle of class! he'll do examples on the board (the first question of the exercise we're doing) not explain them and then say that we should be five questions ahead five minutes later and sometimes these questions have so many parts to them that there is no way we are able to complete them in five minutes.

he expects us to complete an exercise a period, even if has nineteen questions, that also have several sections to them, and most which you may need to draw a diagram or whatever. the first day back, monday last week (when we started year 12) we were doing an exercise on Pythagoras's and tangents, cosine and sine and everyone was working at their own pace so they could understand it. it was half way through the period and he's walking around seeing what we're doing and saying "come on guys, we're way behind in what we should be doing." we'd only just come back to school that day! how can we be behind?! we haven't even started the year 12 course yet! he's making us still do year 11!

my school did absolutely terrible in the general maths preliminary yearly exam. i'm in the second general maths class. i came second in my class with 61%. i thought it was a good mark, for what the general classes are like in my school. the class below mine's average was in the 30-40% range. o_O i was shocked.

there's my rant for the day. and that's not even bad, seeing as i'm lacking in curse words. hahaha. that's when i go crazy. XD

Last edited:

cjcafs

HSC
housah0lic said:
hence why i don't do maths.

it's the devils subject
i do general and i HATE IT SOOOOOO MUCH!
got my HSC maths exam tomorrow.. i'm studying hard.. but i know i'll only get 40% as usual. it is the devils subject.. lucky if u dont do it.

Mel.Riot

HSC
Hmm yeah, worse subject! Does Gen. Maths scale down much? If you do bad that is.... which is my situtation bahah.

studentcheese

HSC
Mel.Riot, Ancient History scales higher than General Maths and everyone complains about the Ancient History scaling. Yes, General Maths scales down but if you are doing more than 10 units, the backups can save you.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
you mean:
Whoever's Failing General Maths or Gettin Shit Marks, this is the Place: 4U

Mel.Riot

HSC
studentcheese said:
Mel.Riot, Ancient History scales higher than General Maths and everyone complains about the Ancient History scaling. Yes, General Maths scales down but if you are doing more than 10 units, the backups can save you.
Ahhh crap. I'm only doing 10 units, so I'm practically screwed :( Siighh.

Anyway, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)