Whoever's Failing General Maths or Gettin Shit Marks This is the Place 4 U (1 Viewer)

lolrofllol

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I don't struggle in Maths, but I'm still ranked highly in English, lol. You can be good at both.
Congratulations Captain Obvious! You've informed the general public (pardon the pun) that it is actually possible to be good at both Mathematics and English.

ostentatious: intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious BOS user"

EDIT: Sorry for bump, but that was a pro troll and I gobbled the bait :(

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
haha gen maths is half just common sense.
to those that said 2u+ that struggled with a q from gen, u prob gave em the hardest q u could find.
after my bro did the gen maths HSC exam, he brought the exam home and i went through it with him and told him which ones he got right and which ones he got wrong. how did i know the answer? it was stuff based off years 7,8,9,10. and i was extemely confident with my answers.
there were only a very very small section which i didnt know as i havent learnt/saw a q like that be4.

u should just try doing some study as most of u have said u stopped doing.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Actually, for some 'smart' people, General Maths could be very hard. People like me, who can't memorise unrelated things easily and need to rely on ;unzipping' data using logical processes, find general maths very difficult, in fact! Luckily, I do 3-unit, which is alot more logical.

dp624

HSC
lol i dont like general maths, the papers look weird

0hNivlek

HSC
General Maths seems really difficult, like all that consumer stuff x.x

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I would fail general. Statistics was one of my worst topics in year 9/10.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
LOL i hated statistics too. I wanted to murder the box and wisker boxes because they were such a pain and so ugly looking.

Extension 2 maths is much easier, believe me :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
annabackwards said:
LOL i hated statistics too. I wanted to murder the box and wisker boxes because they were such a pain and so ugly looking.

Extension 2 maths is much easier, believe me :)
i dont believe you lol

shady145

Banned
HSC
o i thought statisctics was the second easiest next to the finance part. followed by trig

shady145

Banned
HSC
annabackwards said:
Trig was the best!
yea it was the funnest topic, still very easy but not as easy as others i thought

grace92

HSC
YES im failing general maths! thankgod i thought i was the only one. see im fine in all my otehr subjects like business, french, food tech etc but wen it comes to maths i seriously burn no matter how hard i try.

iiinsane02

HSC
I opted to drop to the General Mathematics course recently and I thought it was one of the best decisions I've made.

Although, studying Consumer Arithmetic is the worse - ever. I absolutely hate it. :mad:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
shady145 said:
haha gen maths is half just common sense.
to those that said 2u+ that struggled with a q from gen, u prob gave em the hardest q u could find.
after my bro did the gen maths HSC exam, he brought the exam home and i went through it with him and told him which ones he got right and which ones he got wrong. how did i know the answer? it was stuff based off years 7,8,9,10. and i was extemely confident with my answers.
there were only a very very small section which i didnt know as i havent learnt/saw a q like that be4.
...Hay guys, it'z story timee.

shady145 said:
u should just try doing some study as most of u have said u stopped doing.
No shit sherlock.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
We did the last question of the General HSC Paper in my software class last year - all the general kids couldn't do it xD

It was really really easy though - some simplified version of the simpson's rule - I didn't even know you learnt that in General.

I hated Year 9 & 10 Maths - so I have a feeling I would've hated General if I did it.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
i am not exactly failing.....but im not far off it, u see i always seem to get 65-70 no matter how hard i try!!!!! i dont know what it is but if there was a method to bring me up a bit i would definitely take it aboard! and i know what people think do u study and "yes i dooo" but for some reason i cannot go VERY GOOD!
Hey, I reckon that some people are naturally good at math. But I also do not believe that it's all in the genes. A lot of it is in how you learn math when you were very young. That's the time you learn the basics. If you did not have a good teacher at that time or you did not like math at that time, it's not good down the track. It's not about what you learn. It's about how well you learn at the basic level that will support your learning later. It's funny to see that some year 6 kids can beat year 10 kids in mathematics. There are many things to it including good memory, speed of mental computation and self-lead problem solving.

Anyway I know a way to remedy problems like your case. It's quite simple. You just quickly relearn mathematics properly without or without a tutor. It's actually best done without a tutor. You can use a tutor for a short time just for learning strategies (it's hard to get a tutor who know a lot about strategies!). Slef-learning is the key. You just go back to very very basic math at grade 1 and work your way rapidly to what you are now. It sounds silly that I would suggest grade 1, but I am not kidding. At grade 1, and you pretend to be a teacher and that you are teaching grade 1 kids, you will suddenly find that there are so much that you have missed. All these insights will help retain your mind to think mathematically and think how the mind works with numbers and mathematical concepts. You keep imagining that you are teaching very young kids and work your way up rapidly. This will help you remaster your basics and give you a lot more insight. Eventually you will find that math is not hard as it seems when you have a strong basics.

The hardest thing is finding the time and energy to retrace your learning from the ground up. I am not kidding. Go back as far as you need to. Some people only need to go back to grade 5. But I suggest grade 1. Even if you spend only 2 days on grade 1, 4 days on grade 2, 8 days on grade 3, ... you will find that helps enormously later.

Good luck!

oasfree

HSC
N/A
BTW, try my math tests for kids grade 1-6. It's common to find that gifted kids deal with same problems like normal kids but the way problems presented to gifted kids tend to be much harder and trickier to force them to think. Most year 9-10 kids that are not good at mathematics won't be able to do well at tough math designed for gifted kids at year 6.

If you like to try the math tests for year 5-6 at my site

Online Assessment Home

I am not suggesting that these problems are suitable for HS students. They are really for young kids in year 1-6. But I won't be surprised if many of the problems designed for competent kids in primary schools will stump many HS students. They just show that you really need strong basics to deal with difficult problems.

I have a kid at end of year 4. She is able to solve 1/2 of the problems in the year 10 school certificate math exam. By year 6, I am sure she will clean the year 10 math exam to get near 100%. It's more about how you learn math that makes a real difference.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I actually think that the ability to be good at Maths is in the genes. Of course that is debatable.

Some general student actually had a problem with a question and asked few 3U students. None of them could them except for me, which admitedly still did take a few goes.

With general the actual maths isn't that hard, but you need to read the question properly.

Also there are some stuff that General people do that 2/3U students don't touch on (eg. area of an ellipse - πab).

D

DkAssain

i would rather do Ext 2 maths then general, general maths seems so boring
- graphs
- measurements
-finacial
-Data analysis

all seems so boring.

Ext 2 is way more fun and challenging

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)