why do people think B arts = unemployment?? (1 Viewer)

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
The traditional joke:

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks,
"How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

It's all about stereotypes. People associate low UAI courses with dumb people, it actually depends on the demand. Medicine and law, with the highest demand have the highest UAI's. The perception that BArts is a pritty bludgy degree doesn't do wonders for the stereotype. its just like the stereotype of the nerdy asian/indian, or that all aussies are like Steve Irwin (RIP).

I actually have no experience in this, but some of the points brought up are quite valid

i mean, u don't have immigrants with philosophy degrees clogging up airports cos there is a shortage of such people, nor is there much scope for such people besides teaching. It is undoubtedly, not a degree one would do, if immediate employment was a priority, but BArts combined with another degree, might be a better idea

I dont know why i chimed in, i dont like 'arty' subjects, nor am i at uni, i just like the joke at the top

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
nayyarv said:
The traditional joke:

"How much will it cost?"

It's all about stereotypes. People associate low UAI courses with dumb people, it actually depends on the demand. Medicine and law, with the highest demand have the highest UAI's. The perception that BArts is a pritty bludgy degree doesn't do wonders for the stereotype. its just like the stereotype of the nerdy asian/indian, or that all aussies are like Steve Irwin (RIP).

I actually have no experience in this, but some of the points brought up are quite valid

i mean, u don't have immigrants with philosophy degrees clogging up airports cos there is a shortage of such people, nor is there much scope for such people besides teaching. It is undoubtedly, not a degree one would do, if immediate employment was a priority, but BArts combined with another degree, might be a better idea

I dont know why i chimed in, i dont like 'arty' subjects, nor am i at uni, i just like the joke at the top
For the arts part, it could be writing a Maths study guide.
A certain Maths study guide author has B Arts as a degree.
So it doesn't necessarily have to lead to a career that should have started at 16.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
nayyarv said:
The traditional joke:

"How much will it cost?"

Wholey fuck. Whats wrong with Size 12 fucking Times New Roman?

1harkina

HSC
I do French and for our oral assesment we had to talk about a franch article that was in time magazine which talked about how students doing arts are highly recogninsed and taken in by large companies and THEN trained into areas such as finance as the subjects they took game them many assets

here is the translated article

Special diplomas - When archaeology can enter at Renault ...
Succeeding with a degree in social sciences and humanities is possible: the more advanced beginning to recognize the merits of as archaeology or sociology.

Aurore Dohy​
Aurore Dohy

It's called "Operation Phoenix": graduates in philosophy, archaeology and art history are recruited by large groups such as Societe Generale, Renault or Axa. Launched by the consulting firm Pricewaterhouse-Coopers in partnership with nine companies and five universities in Paris, this novel has certainly helped in 2007 that the recruitment of 35 young people. But this is only the first year of launch, and it could well mark an upturn in the market for human sciences, so far deemed to be a no man's land of employment. Pragmatic, companies involved have obviously committed to anticipate the shortage of talent which is looming in the coming years, with the retirement of many executives. With globalization, multinationals have been able to discover the advantages and disadvantages of training systems foreigners.
And they are beginning to realize that talents are not just concentrated in the math ... "In our network in Britain - one of the most successful - 50% of young recruits have not touched a figure for their studies, explains Bernard Deforge, a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers and coordinator of Operation Phoenix. Their training has made them curious people, rigorous and independent only finally skills essential to our eyes.
»
"For the British, indeed, a candidate for the first job who is familiar with Hegel is also useful in the bank or insurance that as of double accounting. On hiring heads well done, which will then be trained on the job. In France, investigations have also shown long the importance of training in social sciences and humanities.
Thus this study in 2004 (1) for the Ministry of National Education, which shows that young people from all sectors humanists have developed expertise - general culture, spirit of synthesis, ability to argue, to speak -- making them more likely than other students to seize opportunities, even create their own functions. "Teaching Social Sciences and Humanities develop skills invaluable in the current economic context, notes Jacques Migozzi, president of the Conference of Deans of letters. Unfortunately, neither the companies that teachers or students themselves have not really conscious.
»
"
Many masters in social sciences and humanities are already very popular and many companies have really nothing to envy in terms of integration to those schools.
The remarkable results displayed, for example, by Rennes-2, one of the first universities to set up an observatory paths students, are one example: 100% of graduates master "jobs translation and multilingual communication and multimedia "have found a job the first few months after leaving university. The same is true for 87% of holders of master "Trades text and publishing" and for 84% of those master of "Psychology of work and psychological engineering." These masters benefit from the provision of laboratories high-level research, but we reviewed on the basis of the needs of economic partners in the region, said Marc Gimonet and, in charge of relations mission to Rennes-2. Our challenge for the future is to extend this logic to all our training.
»
"
The strength of these diplomas: the possibility of doing internships, a condition sine qua non for the insertion, as evidenced by the success of Séverine Gerard, 25, graduated in psychology a year ago in Rennes-2. Just graduated, she was immediately hired by a consulting firm in human resources, Catalys Council, where it conducts assessments of skills and vocational retraining. "During my training, I made all periods called" advised "She says. I also made the first part of my master in two years and not one year to extend these periods.
Cela a largement facilité mon insertion.
This has greatly facilitated my insertion.
»
"Obviously, his example shows, it has managed intelligently organize its curriculum that showcases experience on the ground.
Rien n'est acquis.​
Nothing is gained. And it is certain that these masters "miracles" are not open to everyone.
.​
They are very competitive promotions welcome twenty students on average, where a very tough selection which can only increase, demand is strong and places rare. But is it not the case everywhere else?

1harkina

HSC
ok i just realised how bad my spelling was then haha i apologize im sooooo tired!!!!!!!

1harkina

HSC
I am doing bachelor of arts and diploma of education at macquarie. I study european languages. I would like to get into translating however it is only offered as post grad degree and the requirment is a ba so i dont see how that make me a deadshit. So im doing education as a fall back

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Without reading the whole thread, Arts graduates are very employable. You have the skills to learn something new quickly and can use them in all sorts of settings (not necessarily working in what your major is, but working with the skills - reporting - you picked up throughout your degree).

Just check graduate recruitment rounds to see what sorts of people many organisations request apply...

Atonofrash

HSC
I have no doubt that I'm going to be employed when I finish uni - and I'm enjoying studying while I'm at it. But that's because I win at marks.

Ergo, everyone else is jealous because they are stuck in their insecurity.

Monstar

HSC
abcdeg said:
my mum did a bachelor of arts, then masters focusing on literature and now she's the CEO of a company, the degree can take you anywhere and definately doesn't mean you'll become unemployed, its just very broad which, in my opinion, is a good thing if you're unsure of what you want to do :)

im gonna call a fucking bs on this one.

Affinity

HSC
I've enrolled in the first philosophy course at UNSW a few years earlier, then I discovered that I can:
1. not pay tuition
2. read the material at my own pleasure
3. Learn exactly the same things.
4. avoid sitting there for 3 hrs every week listening to all their crap about how good foucault is.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
I've enrolled in the first philosophy course at UNSW a few years earlier, then I discovered that I can:
1. not pay tuition
2. read the material at my own pleasure
3. Learn exactly the same things.
4. avoid sitting there for 3 hrs every week listening to all their crap about how good foucault is.
Is that what they cover? Interesting, he's a good french guy.

Well to be fair HECS fees for arts subjects are pretty low anyway. And they summarise a lot of heavy content in these BA courses (on WEBCT, in tuts et al) so it's still pretty useful from past experience.

HSC
Not goin to read through this whole thread but...

Murray Cook, Anthony Field, Greg Page, three founding members of The Wiggles – Bachelor of Arts/Early Childhood

Liz Ellis, former Australian netball captain – Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws

Senator John Faulkner, Special Minister of State, Parliament of Australia - Bachelor of Arts/Diploma of Education

Adam Hills, comedian and television presenter – Bachelor of Arts (Communications)

Jeff McMullen, journalist – Bachelor of Arts

Christine Nixon, Victorian Police Commissioner – Bachelor of Arts

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't forget Chris Lilley! - BA/Dip Ed

Also from MQ rofl...its a hint guys, if you want to be an entertainer go to MQ and do a BA/Dip Ed

HSC
Margaret Pomeranz - movie critic - BA in German and Psychology

Hugh Riminton - Hong Kong CNN News Anchor - Masters of Arts

Oooh, again, all from Macq :cool:

HSC
Of course you can get jobs from a BA, and anyone who would like to think that they get jobs instantly from their medicine, law, engineering, commerce degrees etc is kidding themselves - and even more so if they are doing the degree just for the title (see a few pages back discussion about title of Lawyer after law degree etc).

Most of these degrees get you qualified to do training in a particular profession - I'm fairly sure no one goes straight from a law degree to being a QC, or a medicin degree to being a local GP. In many of these proffessions it is necessary to do many years (i think it is four for psychology, and 6 or so for medicine) of training in a practice before actually being a fully fledged psychologist, lawyer etc. This training is required, and often it is very difficult to find a medical practice, law practice or a 'mentor'-like figure which is willing to give a graduate the opportunity to train in the profession in their practice. In fact many medicine students go into agreements with country practices to have their HECS partly paid for them (because it is ALOT for medicine) in return for spending much of their training in that country practice - helps the country practice which has trouble getting doctors to go out there to work, and also gives the graduate somewhere to start their career. Hence why a law student etc can't claim to be a lawyer just due to finishing their degree - in uni you learn the knowledge, in training you learn how to apply it in an 'internship' like situation.

Anyway, back to the arts can get you jobs argument.
I am an arts student (Melbourne University), who chose arts even though with my ENTER (99.15), there was no course at melbourne uni that i couldn't do (including VET Science). I will major in International Relations, with minors in French and Economics (at Melbourne from this year you have to do 'breadth' subjects from another faculty, which works for me, because economics will really compliment by IR studies). I am perfectly sure that if I actively pursue work when I finish my course (3 years) i will find employment. Many employers these days are looking for graduates with good communication skills, strong analytical skills (which is what essays teach you to do), good common knowledge (i think my knowledge of world affairs as well as of economics will be great advantages) and language skills (with increasingly multicultural societies, and overseas working opportunities).

Many people in this discussion have overlooked many job areas that are quite important to them, without them knowing it - who do they think works in state and federal parliaments, as well as all their policy advisors, assistants and researchers behind the scenes; and who protects them when they are in trouble overseas, working at Australian consulates/embasies, or who reports their news locally and overseas, or writes their newspaper, or maintains the peace (police force etc) or works for international non-governmental organisations such as GReenpeace, the Red Cross, etcetc etc, or for intergovernmental organisations such as the UN, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund etc etc, or who makes archeological findings that help scientists piece together the World's ancient history, or who attempts to help us understand human behaviour and social change etc etc.

Many of these people are arts graduates - there are sooo many job opportunities and these are just a small selection.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
Okay, I was wrong about people caring about how smart B.Arts people are. Nobody cares that B.Arts is full of people who got bad UAI's.

But would unemployment be because there is little demand for people with B.Arts degrees, where as there is a demand for people in Engineering.

The only decent job I can think of for a person with a B.Arts degree + diploma of education is being a teacher.
Cool, so someone with a degree in B Engineering/B Arts will have a "balanced out" demand?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
cute.asa.button said:
Of course you can get jobs from a BA, and anyone who would like to think that they get jobs instantly from their medicine, law, engineering, commerce degrees etc is kidding themselves - and even more so if they are doing the degree just for the title (see a few pages back discussion about title of Lawyer after law degree etc).
Internship and PGY's are secured in all states for medical graduates, except for Int and full fee students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)