• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Corby guilty? (1 Viewer)

_Benji_

HSC
santaslayer said:
It is largely your own responsibility to take care of your own posessions.

EDIT: Fuck you ppl type too fast! :p
sure it is, but is it fair to be locked up for 20yrs if something happens out of your control (ie in the bag handling section?).

yes she should have put locks on etc. but its a pretty harsh punishment for not locking your bag.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
_Benji_ said:
sure it is, but is it fair to be locked up for 20yrs if something happens out of your control (ie in the bag handling section?).

yes she should have put locks on etc. but its a pretty harsh punishment for not locking your bag.
yeh but how do we KNOW FOR SURE that it was the baggage handlers? we don't.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How else are they going to prove that she smuggled the drugs?
If someone comes to bali, with drugs in their bag... and there has been a precident made that when that happens you can blame it on baggage handlers, then every time someone gets caught they'll say "ROFL it was teh bag handlers!!".

Is there some sort of police investigation into the baggage handlers? I believe there should be, and if from the investigation they derive proof that they put the drugs in her bags then she should be found innocent.

_Benji_

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm sorry i forgot to quote, it was directed towards benji.
im not suggesting that the aussie judicial system is superior and the Indonesians should adopt it, im saying that by their own legal framework justice cannot be enforced due to the lack of training/skills. Its not a racial supremecy thing, its a developing country thing- that they are generally incapable of enforcing their own laws due to inexperience etc.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes but the fact is that they're not incredibly inexperienced or anything, the judges in this case have trialed many similar drug related cases, the defence lawyers were definately top notch (despite some of their short commings, such as forgetting to have a translater when she made her plea, which ment little to them anyway). Ron Bakir and the government gave substancial assistance/financial support.

spell check

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If someone comes to bali, with drugs in their bag... and there has been a precident made that when that happens you can blame it on baggage handlers, then every time someone gets caught they'll say "ROFL it was teh bag handlers!!".

Is there some sort of police investigation into the baggage handlers? I believe there should be, and if from the investigation they derive proof that they put the drugs in her bags then she should be found innocent.
the court didn't accept evidence relating to baggage handlers in australia though

_Benji_

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Isn't there currently an investigation into a drug smuggling ring involving baggage handlers?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
spell check said:
the court didn't accept evidence relating to baggage handlers in australia though
Only because currently the evidence was very subjective, if they found some objective evidence, such as video proof or a confession, then it may have been admissable.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
, the defence lawyers were definately top notch (despite some of their short commings, such as forgetting to have a translater when she made her plea, which ment little to them anyway). QUOTE]

Isnt it crucial to hear the plea??

nickichicki01

hmmm...
HSC
this is kinda off the point but if baggage handlers put it in her bag, how did they or whoever did, expect to get it back?

spell check

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes but the fact is that they're not incredibly inexperienced or anything, the judges in this case have trialed many similar drug related cases, the defence lawyers were definately top notch (despite some of their short commings, such as forgetting to have a translater when she made her plea, which ment little to them anyway). Ron Bakir and the government gave substancial assistance/financial support.
yeah apparently the chief justice had sat on five hundred drug cases of this sort and acquitted NO ONE

that sure is experience

spell check

HSC
nickichicki01 said:
this is kinda off the point but if baggage handlers put it in her bag, how did they or whoever did, expect to get it back?
the same way they put them in, just take them out when they unload the plane at sydney

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well they looked at the transcript of it, and it was explained why they didn't accept it in their verdict. Basically, since it was mainly just emotional garbage and had no solid evidence backing it, they cared little for it.

santaslayer

HSC
_Benji_ said:

I don't know. The issue is that one should look after their own posessions. I don't know about everyone else, but that was hammered into my brain since I was a kid. Esp in an airport situation. Not putting locks in bags is suicide.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
santaslayer said:
I don't know. The issue is that one should look after their own posessions. I don't know about everyone else, but that was hammered into my brain since I was a kid. Esp in an airport situation. Not putting locks in bags is suicide.
Same, but ppl shouldnt be punished for stupidity

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
_Benji_ said:
oh for christ's sakes, stop reducing the argument to being about views of ethnocentrism.
spoken like a true society and culture student...

i think that without hearing the full case and having all the evidence sitting in front of you, you cannot really pass an informed judgement. All we can base our conclusions on is our feelings.

20 years is very harsh, does anyone think that she will be sent back to australia after the appeals process, if she does not get off that way?

HSC
santaslayer said:
these days theres no point locking your bags. if they wanna get into ur bag, they will. When i was leaving LA i had my bag locked, and the lady made me unlock it cuz they open ur bags anyway apparently

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)