• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Corby guilty? (2 Viewers)

santaslayer

HSC
Korn said:
Yes, but in other crime in Aust it is innocent till proven guilty, if im not mistaken which isnt the same system as Indonesia

Yes fair trial =/= Outcome
It's been emphasised in the other Corby thread as well. Indonesia and Australia have similar approaches when dealing with drug crime. That is to put a larger emphasis on the 'alleged' to prove their own innocence. Think about it, it's usually too difficult to prove someone has indeed been transporting drugs. They could have done it anytime. It is largely your own responsibility to care for your own posessions. (bags)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Under resourced/trained?
The government offered to provide her with TWO QC's!

edit: Yes spellcheck, I think that is an acceptable way for the law to operate in drug trafficing charges.

_Benji_

HSC
theone123 said:
"She may be innocent, she may be guilty, but in this case the evidence that we've seen isn't particularly strong in favour of her innocence," the director of Melbourne University's Asia Law Centre, Dr Tim Lindsey, told the Nine Network.
Sure, that may be the case, i mean how much evidence can you bring up to prove something wasn't yours?? thats where innocent until proven guilty comes in.

santaslayer

HSC
_Benji_ said:
But in comparing the case to our own standards i doubt she would have been charged. There's just too much doubt and areas of questionability.

considering the ineffective, under resourced/trained nature of the judicary system there was no way it could have been fair.

The judgement was completely at the discretion of the judge, and he showed considerable bias throughout the entire process. Was not coming from a position of objectivity.
Where did bias exist?
Under resourced? That goes for the Australian legal system as well.

_Benji_

HSC
santaslayer said:
Where did bias exist?
Under resourced? That goes for the Australian legal system as well.
Well considering he sat there reading a book on life sentancing that wasnt particularly impartial was it?

Considering Indonesia isnt a developed country as we are...

_Benji_

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They offered them for the trial but they refused, she had ALOT of financial backing...
what....do u suggest she should have bribed the judge with all that financial backing? perhaps the judge would not have favoured to 2 australian QC's meddling in the Indonesian judicial system.

spell check

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
edit: Yes spellcheck, I think that is an acceptable way for the law to operate in drug trafficing charges.
so what would you think if you went on holiday overseas and when you went to collect your bag it was full of heroin? you'd be in the exact same situation as corby and probably have the same outcome

how is that acceptable?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
santaslayer said:
It's been emphasised in the other Corby thread as well. Indonesia and Australia have similar approaches when dealing with drug crime. That is to put a larger emphasis on the 'alleged' to prove their own innocence. Think about it, it's usually too difficult to prove someone has indeed been transporting drugs. They could have done it anytime. It is largely your own responsibility to care for your own posessions. (bags)
Have a look at the post directly above mine, its should be clear that i know Aust & Indo use the same drug law system

spell check

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
:rolleyes: nothing would appease you in your belief that indonesia is in no way comparable to the "great" Australian legal system.
who is that directed to

i've already said the australian system is no good either

but you seem to think they are acceptable

so that comment can only have been directed to yourself

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
being innocent just means that there wasn't enough evidence for a guilty verdict... it doesn't ACTUALLY mean you were innocent (in a court of law). "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

and to be honest, we don't know whether she was REALLY guilty or not. I think everybody is in a big stink because she's a fairly attractive woman who LOOKS innocent. I feel sorry for her, of course (I'm not heartless) but we have to respect the indonesian judicial system. How many people do you recon say to a judge "it wasn't me". I suppose that unless you can actually FIND the person who put the drugs in the bag, the judges would have 'heardit all before'

i don't know if that made any sense at all

JoeysBoy

HSC
I think Sharpel is Innocent based on Australian media reports, which half of it is probelly exagurated and full of crap... but if half of its true I think she's innocent...

Which leads me to think that any reasonable Judge would think the same thing, even if he/she is indonesian, which I don't like to say (as its racist and I don't like racism), but many people stereotype (as I've seen and heard on radio and tele) Indonesia's court system to be another alien, screwed up system that is rigged...

It maybe rigged, but it maybe for a good reason. I personally don't think the relationship between Australia and Indonesia is very stable due to the east vs west image (and etc.) that is being portrayed in the media (and etc.). By Convicting her of 20 years, the judges has walked the fine line in "pleasing" (hard word to pick) the majority of parties. She won't get a life sentence (for the Australians), and the Australian has been convicted for at least some period of time (The generalised drug hating Indonesian, which maybe a false image... don't flame me for this), therefore the judges may have averted greater conflict which may have led to something else (i.e. possible war? Remember the little assassination of Prince Ferdinand or whatever that led to the outbreak of WWI)

I don't think anyone will know the truth due to international pressures and stuiped Media that use FALSE propaganda (which REALLY gets to my nerves).

And Sharpel may have been set free without any damage if the media had stayed away and no attention be paid to her. The whole thing blew up and other factors (other than what actually happened at the air port and other things relating to the actual drugs) came into play. What everyone can do is do what Jonny Howard said to do and respect the Indonesian's decision... that way, the stuiped and gay F**CKED up media won't get a hard on because of the extra attention (of their already controvercial reports) and start calling the Judges grandsons of Hitler or whatever. Pray that she can come home and do her 20 years in Australia.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
spell check said:
so what would you think if you went on holiday overseas and when you went to collect your bag it was full of heroin? you'd be in the exact same situation as corby and probably have the same outcome

how is that acceptable?
It is largely your own responsibility to take care of your own posessions.

EDIT: Fuck you ppl type too fast! :p

theone123

blue essence
HSC
llamalope said:
being innocent just means that there wasn't enough evidence for a guilty verdict... it doesn't ACTUALLY mean you were innocent (in a court of law). "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

and to be honest, we don't know whether she was REALLY guilty or not. I think everybody is in a big stink because she's a fairly attractive woman who LOOKS innocent. I feel sorry for her, of course (I'm not heartless) but we have to respect the indonesian judicial system. How many people do you recon say to a judge "it wasn't me". I suppose that unless you can actually FIND the person who put the drugs in the bag, the judges would have 'heardit all before'

i don't know if that made any sense at all
she seems to be a prostitute more :rolleyes:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
spell check said:
who is that directed to

i've already said the australian system is no good either

but you seem to think they are acceptable

so that comment can only have been directed to yourself
I'm sorry i forgot to quote, it was directed towards benji.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)