Why is Corby guilty? (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That's understandable, I think my parents would be screaming if they knew i was going to be locked up for 20 years in an indonesian gaol =/
no..it was more street trash talk
didnt make sense
i think my parents would be able to communicate properly
and would think twice before answering a question on t.v

if anyone saw it..did u think wtf..i was embaressed on her behalf..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I actually got asked after coming back from a week in the Philippines earlier this year by customs on a) the nature of my visit "attended a funeral of an aunt, a wedding and a graduation" b) how long were you there for "a week, it was an emergency" c) did you really have to go back, were you that close? at this point i was wtf-ing and asked what that had to do with my visit and why was there a suggestion that a death of an aunt wasnt important. At this point i asked for his name and manager and gave the guy an ear bashing until he apologised.

Interesting thing, although my experience was bad, that such measures and screenings at customs are happening.

That is all.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
soha said:
when i was watching the news i saw her sister reading out something along the lines of
"thank you for your support and she will come home etc..
then she was screaming her head off...they didnt take or witnesses into acoount blah blah..i couldnt understand what she was saying..she was absolutely hysterical..

then i saw on channel nine a interview with ray martin and her mum
and her mum made absolutely no sense half the time
was talking the most random shit
wasnt formal at all
kept swearing and i couldnt help but laugh
i was like wtf?...
Well, Soha, the family's reaction was completely understandable - unless they were really heartless and they couldn't give a shit about her. The EXCESSIVE overreation from the Australian public however...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Huratio said:
Of course there are much more people worse off than Corby. Look at it this way:
She was jailed in Bali --> 20 Years
If she was jailed in Australia with guilty --> She's only get 3-4 years.
Any other Asian country --> she might even get the death penalty.

The Australian media only perceive Schapelle Corby as 'innocent' because she is a young and to some people attractive.

I cannot understand why you just make up propaganda about people forming opinion about the case. It is a matter of fact that people have their own opinion even if they take what the media say as true i.e. just believing that she is 'innocent'.

BTW: I used to think that Corby was innocent, until I heard news of the proceedings, and when you think about it- none of Corby's evidence was substantial enough to gain her aqquital. I think that she will have no chance in a Bali High Court, she may be risking an even higher sentence (let alone the death penalty).

llamalope: there is no ethics in jounalism. What if Schapelle Corby is guilty?

I would like to refer to the Azaria Chaimbalin case back in Australian history- where the mother continually said that the 'dingo ate her baby' --> the media took the trial judge's side by branding her guilty. We still don't know what really happened, but many people think that the Chaimbalin's case was true (and this is an example of the media taking sides.)

What happens if an very-unattractive old woman was could smuggling drugs into an asian country--> Would we have media footage of this case as much as we did in this Corby case? I think not.
hmm yes it's because she's always 'impeccably groomed' - rofl mao, how many times did they mention her outfit? black top, pink pants, pink sandals...oh god I am sad, I still remember.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
cherryblossom said:
hmm yes it's because she's always 'impeccably groomed' - rofl mao, how many times did they mention her outfit? black top, pink pants, pink sandals...oh god I am sad, I still remember.
Images don't talk...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Wesnat said:
Yes, you are correct!

But Huratio is referring to the media blowout. There is a difference between why there is an excessive media coverage in Australia and why the public is interested in the case. You've pointed out ONE reason why the latter is understandable. But why the former?

In addition, the media coverage had been excessive EVEN BEFORE there was a big fuss on baggage handlers.

As well, there is absolutely no denying that image DOES matter, and it has obstructed justice in the past. I keep on referring to this, but the movie Chicago is a very good example of this - where there was an innocent woman on death-row, while the guilty women (one fabricated her pregnancy to draw public pity - which she did so successfully) got off.
yep. an ugly person who drug smuggled into bali would get its place of 10 seconds on TEN news...

chair_stapler

HSC
N/A
well quite clearly there is evidence to prove she is guilty that cannot be released to the public

jcl

HSC
hmmm

What ive heard, some might be false

1) friend has surfshop in bali --> no need to take board
2) been to bali 19 times
3) history of drugs in her family
4) didn't notice her bag was about 5 times heavier with 4 kg of drugs
5) HAD BAGS IN HER BAG - i think you're all underrating this one...once drugs are found in your bag the onus is on you to show they are not yours, not for them to show that you put them in. Bali 9: OI indonesia, PROVE that i strapped these to my body! huh! do that!!! cant can u!
6) refused to open her bag
7) drug bag the perfect dimensions for her boogie bag

Her case was also flimsy.

1) Corby: Please believe me, i'm crying i must be good. im also pretty.
2) friends and brother (who flew straight back to aust rather than stay at his sis' side...guilty of something, anyone?): her bag certainly did not have drugs when she packed it! believe us--> as if packing a boogie bag is that momentous an occasion...do you all gather around when packing a camera in its carry case?
3) this guy in jail right, says he heard these two guys, whom he cant name because he fears he might get killed, speaking about this drug ring, who may have put drugs, in my bag!

i think faced with these facts, they had no choice but to find her guilty

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
jcl said:
What ive heard, some might be false

1) friend has surfshop in bali --> no need to take board
2) been to bali 19 times
3) history of drugs in her family
4) didn't notice her bag was about 5 times heavier with 4 kg of drugs
5) HAD BAGS IN HER BAG - i think you're all underrating this one...once drugs are found in your bag the onus is on you to show they are not yours, not for them to show that you put them in. Bali 9: OI indonesia, PROVE that i strapped these to my body! huh! do that!!! cant can u!
6) refused to open her bag
7) drug bag the perfect dimensions for her boogie bag

Her case was also flimsy.

1) Corby: Please believe me, i'm crying i must be good. im also pretty.
2) friends and brother (who flew straight back to aust rather than stay at his sis' side...guilty of something, anyone?): her bag certainly did not have drugs when she packed it! believe us--> as if packing a boogie bag is that momentous an occasion...do you all gather around when packing a camera in its carry case?
3) this guy in jail right, says he heard these two guys, whom he cant name because he fears he might get killed, speaking about this drug ring, who may have put drugs, in my bag!

i think faced with these facts, they had no choice but to find her guilty

2) In Channel 9's Corby's Nightmare (uggh), they state as a fact that Corby went to Bali there around 2-3 times in the last few months, from memory.

3) Not an adequate proof, of course.

4) Actually, I don't think I would notice if I were her. I might notice it for a millisecond, then I'd just shrug it off - who'd have thought it was 4kg of marijuana?

7) Just found out a while ago in another topic. Quite interesting, but perhaps not a material enough proof.

Her case:
1) Yep, it's the only thing that the defence team could offer really.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Anyone thought of the possibility that she noticed, but it was too late. Like what is she going to do, go to a customs officer and tell them someone planted drugs

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
i dont think she did it

she would have to be SOOO stupid to do it...it just doesnt make sense..

i can see why people DO think she is guilty tho

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
i dont think she did it

she would have to be SOOO stupid to do it...it just doesnt make sense..

i can see why people DO think she is guilty tho
What is that a generalist comment on ppl smuggling drugs or her specific circumstances?

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
Korn said:
What is that a generalist comment on ppl smuggling drugs or her specific circumstances?
her circumstances mostly...

but yeah i think any1 who was a drug smuggler and 'planned' that....would have to be the stupidest person

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Korn said:
How would ur family be under these circumstances? If they wouldnt react like that, what would the average white, christian family do?

threaten the judges? not smart, especially in those countries, malaysia, thailand, indonesia etc...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Seraph said:
threaten the judges? not smart, especially in those countries, malaysia, thailand, indonesia etc...
When did they threaten the judges? Can I have a exact statement?

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
There are two seperate debates going on in this thread (I just finished reading the whole fuckin thing) - whether the judgement was correct, and whether she was innocent.

From everything I've heard, the judgement was probably fairly lenient, as Corby's defense did very little to refute the prosecution's claims and establish reasonable doubt. If the defense had raised all the holes - the missing video evidence, the problems with the forensics etc. - then there would be genuine and strong cause to find her innocent, but basically all they relied on was circumstantial evidence - baggage handlers could've done it because they're being investigated now, it doesn't really make sense for her to do it etc. For that reason, I believe that she has a pretty good chance on appeal, if she gets a better defence team.

As to her guilt, well, no-one can really know for certain, as has been said. But it does seem suss that she'd go over to Bali several times, refuse to open her bag, take a bodyboard bag in the first place, and all that. And even worse is the fact that there's been no plausible explanation given to refute those claims.
And as for the argument that the pot would be worth more in Australia, apparently there's a big trade in westerners buying from westerners in Bali, because tourists are suspicious of locals selling when there's such large penalties.

jcl

HSC
and another thing, ppl who say that she wouldnt do it because she could get more money in australia...then y did the supposed ppl who put drugs in her bag do it?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)