Why is education a competition? (1 Viewer)

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
ekoolish said:
Why do we have to be ranked?
Personally i think making education a competition disheartends those less 'cluey' then others and hence pulling people into the hole of poverty,drugs and crime...
yep, let's have a society fuelled by an education system who isn't aiming for anything.

wtf guys, dw about success or money...strive for mediocrity!:vcross:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
:::a::: said:
yep, let's have a society fuelled by an education system who isn't aiming for anything.

wtf guys, dw about success or money...strive for mediocrity!:vcross:
....Not too long ago education was not a competition and hence didn't invovle all the stresses we face today. Its not only crime,drugs etc. Think about depression,suicide then think about how much they risen in recent decades.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Just because someone scores a low UAI, doesn't mean they don't have what it takes to succeed in life. But it doesn't mean that they do, either.

It can go both ways.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
The Asian immigrants have definately helped make it like this. No, I'm not talking just to be racist, I have a friend in Taiwan and our system seems to be getting closer and closer to theirs... :S

Hopefully it'll never get that bad though, lol.

sparkerasp

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
The HSC is suppose to prepare you for the outside world.
And a bloody good job it does doesn't it? :read:

Education isn't a competition. You make it seem like a competition. Think of the HSC like a census, they put you into categories or something similar and what happens? Nothing.

In saying that, you definitely shouldn't completely slack off and do nothing.

Remember the cliche "everyone is unique (ie. special) in a certain way". How you utilise your talent or uniqueness is up to you. If you're enjoy and excel at cooking, well congratulations, you'll probably smash anyone who is a doctor or a lawyer in the kitchen.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
Why do we have to be ranked?
Personally i think making education a competition disheartends those less 'cluey' then others and hence pulling people into the hole of poverty,drugs and crime...

Why the hell will people fall into the hole of poverty, drugs, and crime? If there was no competition, then you have no sort of benchmark or standard to meet. People will continually let themselves off, when they could have done so much more and push themselves pass their own limits and potential and not only achieve their desired marks, but grow as a person in general. It's just people don't know how to manage their emotions properly. Instead of using fear as a source of power to do more, they use it as an excuse to watch others do better than them, and thus start feeling like shit, when it was their fault.

Achieving any goal is a personal responsibility. If one is to give up or not perform at their best because they cannot stand someone beating them in an exam, then obviously it wasn't a priority, it was just a "i wouldn't mind if i did get xUAI". If you wanted something bad enough, nothing will stop you, as it'll just motivate you to continually looking for ways to improve yourself.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
Just take a look at the profiles of criminals and i'm pretty sure you'll find the bulk of them didn't get a UAI of 99.9

ekoolish said:
....Not too long ago education was not a competition and hence didn't invovle all the stresses we face today. Its not only crime,drugs etc. Think about depression,suicide then think about how much they risen in recent decades.
Man, you seem to know so much about everything and everyone. I'm really interested. Please justify what you've just said, because I know you can do much more than give claims based on your own perceptions of how the world works, despite you still being in school.

Depression, suicide? All these aspects are created by human choice. A lot of people's attitudes are geared to look at how shitty situations are and thus let circumstances dominate their life, rather than being solution and goal orientated, and getting on with things. That's why they're shit at life.

Go, associate yourself with successful people and I'll guarantee you that you'll see a correlation with their personality and their philosophy and attitude towards their work and their life.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pick any aspect of our lives where competition does not come into an element of.

Look at all the stupid records in the Guiness Book, then you will see why we have all this ranking system for academics as well.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Man, you seem to know so much about everything and everyone. I'm really interested. Please justify what you've just said, because I know you can do much more than give claims based on your own perceptions of how the world works, despite you still being in school.

Depression, suicide? All these aspects are created by human choice. A lot of people's attitudes are geared to look at how shitty situations are and thus let circumstances dominate their life, rather than being solution and goal orientated, and getting on with things. That's why they're shit at life.

Go, associate yourself with successful people and I'll guarantee you that you'll see a correlation with their personality and their philosophy and attitude towards their work and their life.
Depression is a metal illiness not a "human choice". That statement justifies your ignorance to world wide societal issues. Also i do not see how being at school effects my perceptions of the world i may be subject to a controlled environment at school but i still observe the 'real' world. You tell me i should associate myself with successful people, i say go associate yourself with the outcasts of the world and then you may understand mental illiness,drugs and crime. Sorry for going off topic in my own thread but i just can't stand ignorance and people posting sentence's such as "That's why they are shit at life"...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
Depression is a metal illiness not a "human choice". That statement justifies your ignorance to world wide societal issues. Also i do not see how being at school effects my perceptions of the world i may be subject to a controlled environment at school but i still observe the 'real' world. You tell me i should associate myself with successful people, i say go associate yourself with the outcasts of the world and then you may understand mental illiness,drugs and crime. Sorry for going off topic in my own thread but i just can't stand ignorance and people posting sentence's such as "That's why they are shit at life"...

Mental illness? You obviously don't understand that a change in one's perception of what they feel about the world can make significant changes of what exactly happens in their. Just look at the placebo effect and how it’s been scientifically proven to radically change one’s state and health even more so than a drug, just because of a change in their thinking.

Have you ever considered why some people from wealthy and rich families, become poor, and why there are some people who have nothing, like people that come to Australia and are able to build a successful life and legacy for their family and their generations? I have a friend, who fought in WW2 and had no education, came here when he was 50, but was still able to build a business that pays a large amount of residual income whether he works or not. Why? Because, he didn't want to be a fucking outcast and have self-pity on himself. He could have sat around and cried and did nothing about his situtation. But no, he knew he was better then that.

We live in the same world, we have the same 24hrs, and guess what? Shit will always happen to everyone, regardless of how skillful you are. You’re responsible for what happens in your LIFE. Everything happens in your life is created through either your own mental or physical actions. If you want to be poor, then go spend or your money today, have shitty eating habits, and go do drugs and alcohol. If one decides to go on to a life like that, do you think that someone forced them to do it?

People fail at life, is because they impose self-liminations on themselves and let any reason distract them from getting better, whether it be the economy, competition or other people dictating how they should feel and how should act.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yes we have choices in life, we make them and live them we cannot change them.

The HSC is a competition
1, For UAI for UNI
2, For timulation, you put people in a competition and most people will work harder to try to get the bet that THEY bloody can.

and "depresion" is a conglomeration of things, both physical and mental. So you are both right, and it is brought aboutby a multitude of things eg. chemical imbalances, environmental and combinations of both and many many more things.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Mental illness? You obviously don't understand that a change in one's perception of what they feel about the world can make significant changes of what exactly happens in their. Just look at the placebo effect and how it’s been scientifically proven to radically change one’s state and health even more so than a drug, just because of a change in their thinking.

Have you ever considered why some people from wealthy and rich families, become poor, and why there are some people who have nothing, like people that come to Australia and are able to build a successful life and legacy for their family and their generations? I have a friend, who fought in WW2 and had no education, came here when he was 50, but was still able to build a business that pays a large amount of residual income whether he works or not. Why? Because, he didn't want to be a fucking outcast and have self-pity on himself. He could have sat around and cried and did nothing about his situtation. But no, he knew he was better then that.

We live in the same world, we have the same 24hrs, and guess what? Shit will always happen to everyone, regardless of how skillful you are. You’re responsible for what happens in your LIFE. Everything happens in your life is created through either your own mental or physical actions. If you want to be poor, then go spend or your money today, have shitty eating habits, and go do drugs and alcohol. If one decides to go on to a life like that, do you think that someone forced them to do it?

People fail at life, is because they impose self-liminations on themselves and let any reason distract them from getting better, whether it be the economy, competition or other people dictating how they should feel and how should act.
How can you say that being born disabled is you own fault? I can hardly see how someone can be held responsible for such an occurence in their life. You stated:"Everything happens in your life is created through either your own mental or physical actions."

Nevertheless, i made this thread to here what people think about the current education system. Imo i simply believe we shouldn't have to be in competition with others in order to gain a basic education.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
ekoolish said:
Nevertheless, i made this thread to here what people think about the current education system. Imo i simply believe we shouldn't have to be in competition with others in order to gain a basic education.
then no one will learn anything because no one will care, its true
and then if everyone gets to pick their course in uni, no one will know wats its like to "study" or anything

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
then no one will learn anything because no one will care, its true
and then if everyone gets to pick their course in uni, no one will know wats its like to "study" or anything
Well if they wanted to be successful and achieve something they would. Rankings may act as an initiative for some but i believe those who actually want to do something in their lives don't need any such initiatives.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i agree. there are a lot of non-beneficial characteristics of the ranking system. suddenly friends are adversaries. my friend went on exchange in a south east asian country with a similar system to us (i cant remember which one =/) but it like had the same sort of final exams and ranking. and in class, noone answers questions or discusses anything even when asked to. just cos like they refuse to share their knowledge.

its easy to see that the any form of group with goals in education could disband for fear of rankings.

also i agree that it could really dishearten people. if im honest with myself, i can achieve if i put my mind to it, im really not trying to like blow my own horn, but i can see that if i didnt know i had some form of potential, i would just be like.. scared and non-motivated to compete with people who did have a lot of potential. and by potential i only mean in a UAI context. ANOTHER THING i agree on is that there are so so so many ways to go. UAI and straight to uni is not the be-all and end-all. ANYONE can get to ANYWHERE if they try hard enough. i actually realise i implied the wrong thing when i wrote about potential for UAI but i cant be bothered rewriting it. hope you guys know what i meant haha.

but i agree with timothy sio. realistically, a method with less side effects such as these ^^^ is impossible in practice. UAI is NOT SUFFICIENT in defining the ability to succeed in life, it only defines your entry to uni straight from school, so it shouldnt be considered to do the former. But a method which did infact accurately determine one's overall complete in depth analysis of everything to do with their academia and life, just cant happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)