Wii (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
PS3's motions sensors .. i have heard are not responsive enough..

geez i remember when u first got a rumble thingy (it attached by a wriststrap) with ridge racer on the PSX before dual shock controllers came out to combat the N64's rumble paks..
expansion memory for N64..

but yeah wii looks fun is innovative but will it last? I hope so..

the sega consoles came out well like the dreamcast and the saturn both were innovative.. DC had a memory card with LCD screen for mini games ^^.. but u need the games to follow thru..and its was expensive

Sony's lost alot of exclusives since PSX although their machine is certainly the most powerful (think DC too).. but if it costs an arm and a leg.. i cant see ppl wanting many of them..

Bluray.. a cheap player.. but if bluray dies like minidiscs and UMDs and betamax.. then wow.. is sony in for hell.. its movies section is not making money either.. and music is dying with its lost of walkman to Ipods.. the Ps3 is one of the only lifelines it has.. in the PSX and PS2 the media was cheap.. lik a few dollars for CDs and DVDs.. but the same cannot be said about Bluray..

360?... i reserve my opinion on this one.. it came out 1 yr early.. but didnt stir up the sensation it should have.. it will be profitable soon tho compared to the Ps3 but needs more publicity and installed base.. its losing to the Ps2 and thats a gen behind.. cos all the games on 360 are being released on Ps2 as well..

Wii.. almost everything about its release has been amazing.. publicity, taking the focus, finding new demographics.. again its wait and see but its doing well..
its using the DS model of gaming.. but from portable to the living room.. this is risky.. but so far its working..

im goin for a wii.. cos im slowly becoming a casual console gamer..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
politik said:
Stop comparing the Wii to the XBOX360/PS3. It offers a totally unique gaming experience.
I think comparing them is valid. If graphics, physics, etc. are more important to you, you go with 360/ps3. if unique controls and innovation is more important, you should go with the wii. they're different consoles, thus you compare them on different plains.

PS3's motions sensors .. i have heard are not responsive enough..
this is true. i had a go, but i'm sure there'll be an update that allows you to calibrate sensitivity. However, it just feels too gimmicky. Stupidly so. For instance, in car games there's no point in having them. It feels much 'righter' just using an analogue stick, or if you're inclined, you could buy an actual wheel (like the fantastic wireless Xbox 360 one which has gotten rave reviews). For other games, it really is tacked on. For instance, look at NBA 07. You throw your controller up to block. Well, in theory it sounds ok, but in practice it's horrible.
Wii actually adds to the experience - look at Madden 07 on the Wii vs the other consoles. You actually have to throw the controller to pass the ball on the wii. Partially motion-sensitive controls plain suck.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Well it's official, Wii has had the most successful console launch in Australia (sales wise), beating 360 sales in the first 4 days by around 3000 consoles (Wii selling a little under 33,000, 360 around 30,000)

HSC
The thing is that this only really contrasts the production capacity of the two companies (I'm presuming 360 sold out in the first day or so as well), because this'd mean that Nintendo managed to make 3000 more consoles than Microsoft, but if MS's sold out in 10 mins whereas Wii too a whole day it wouldn't mean much.

To whoever said that they shouldn't be compared, why not? There was someone specifically asking "Should I buy a wii or a 360?"

I'll be getting a wii, but my brother will have a 360, but don't expect much from the latter because I think I'm rather unique among gamers in that I didn't find Halo or its sequel to be anything special, so to me there were no real "must buy" exclusive for XBox.

Question: I've already purchased Zelda, should I make Rayman or Super Monkey Ball my second game?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Capitalist Scum said:
The thing is that this only really contrasts the production capacity of the two companies (I'm presuming 360 sold out in the first day or so as well), because this'd mean that Nintendo managed to make 3000 more consoles than Microsoft, but if MS's sold out in 10 mins whereas Wii too a whole day it wouldn't mean much.

To whoever said that they shouldn't be compared, why not? There was someone specifically asking "Should I buy a wii or a 360?"

I'll be getting a wii, but my brother will have a 360, but don't expect much from the latter because I think I'm rather unique among gamers in that I didn't find Halo or its sequel to be anything special, so to me there were no real "must buy" exclusive for XBox.

Question: I've already purchased Zelda, should I make Rayman or Super Monkey Ball my second game?
I don't like Halo. The must buy exclusive for xbox is Gears of War now, then Blue Dragon when that comes out. Man, gears of war on a widescreen monitor in max resolution is soooo amazing. I orgasmed. Literally.

Also, the wii is cheaper, thus a lot more accessible for people willing to buy it. I'm surprised the wii sold so little.

HSC
The Australian sales as I said, only reflect production capacity. Wii sold 33 000 because there were only 33 000 available.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
on the debate about wii v ps3 & 360, i think its pointless arguing over the graphics. history tells us that graphics dont determine a consoles success (N64 owned ps1, dreamcast anyone?). it should be based on the games, and i dont think there is anything the xbox currently is offering that would want me to fork out a small fortune to than pay another 100 bucks to play a few exclusive "must own" games

again this is all subjective. common sense tells us that wii has "shit" graphics, but if you have good games than who cares? not me, not the 33 000 ppl who have already got a wii in Australia

i think wii will become the 2nd console ppl will buy, thats if they have money left aside from the loan taken out to buy their ps3. personally im becoming a casual gamer, and for a casual gamer i think wii is perfect, its a lot cheaper, got (and will be getting) some really good games, and the new controller is fun

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
fornstar said:
on the debate about wii v ps3 & 360, i think its pointless arguing over the graphics. history tells us that graphics dont determine a consoles success (N64 owned ps1, dreamcast anyone?). it should be based on the games, and i dont think there is anything the xbox currently is offering that would want me to fork out a small fortune to than pay another 100 bucks to play a few exclusive "must own" games

again this is all subjective. common sense tells us that wii has "shit" graphics, but if you have good games than who cares? not me, not the 33 000 ppl who have already got a wii in Australia

i think wii will become the 2nd console ppl will buy, thats if they have money left aside from the loan taken out to buy their ps3. personally im becoming a casual gamer, and for a casual gamer i think wii is perfect, its a lot cheaper, got (and will be getting) some really good games, and the new controller is fun
N64 had better graphics and got owned by PS1????
Dreamcast was just a really really overlooked machine, it had more than superior graphics than anything at the time, with online gaming and all that other junk. Shame about it all, really
And it's true, PS2 was the most underpowered of the last gen consoles and won significantly over the Xbox and GC.

I agree, graphics should never come ahead of solid gameplay, but graphics are important, especially in this day and age where the concept of realism is pushed into games. As I said before (might have been in another thread?) graphics can create new ways to playing games. For example, Mario was taken from a 2D platform into an immersive 3D world, this was only possible with the better technology to make such graphics possible. Countless other franchises have utilized the graphical leap to reinvent themselves (Metroid, Zelda, sport games, GTA etc...)
Many games also thrive on graphic superiority, Shadow of the Colossus and Oblivion come to mind. They just wouldn't be the same without the quality of the graphics. I like those kind of games, where you can just play through them on a big fucking tv and be taken in by the fine detail.

Growing up in the 8-16 bit days, I'm not too suss on graphics much, but I hope the developers can push the graphical prowess of the 360 and PS3 to create something fresh and new. And it may be just me, but I wouldn't mind forking out an extra $200 for the Wii console if it had better hardware for better graphics.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Virtual Console games available now:

* Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

* F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo)

* Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong and Wario's Woods (NES)

* Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe and Ecco the Dolphin (SEGA MEGA DRIVE)

Virtual Console games available from 15th December 2006:

* Urban Champion, Solomon's Key and Pinball (NES)

* Columns, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Dr. Robotonik's Mean Bean Machine (SEGA MEGA DRIVE)

Virtual Console games available from 22nd December 2006:

* Donkey Kong Jr., Soccer and Tennis (NES)

* Space Harrier II and Toe Jam & Earl (SEGA MEGA DRIVE)

Virtual Console games available from 29th December 2006:

* SimCity, Super Probotector and Super Castlevania IV (Super Nintendo)

* Baseball and Ice Hockey (NES)

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/751/751168p1.html

HSC
gunstar heroes, fuck yesssssssssssss.

possibly getting a 360 soon, too. not a nerd.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
old school games..

mortal kombat 2..
street fighter 2..
all the zelda series..
tetris Dx.... on gbc
omfg i want duckhunt..

i emu these still :D.. heheh but on the wii id be blissful those were the days of gaming.. 16 bits..

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I got monkey ball on the Gamecube, and yes, it gets INSANE later on.

Robbeh

HSC
Nintendo is doing it's bit to get us off the couch.

I don't mind Wii so much, but I'm not much into Console gaming. It's too much upgrading. I'm stuck on N64 and I can't get the final two stars to finish Mario. Damn stars. DAMN YOU 148!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Hahaha best thing evahhhhhh.
After trying everywhere at Chatswood, I went around Macquarie without much luck. Went into JB Hi-Fi and asked them to put me on their pre-order list for the next shipment. IT WAS FULL. And the chick at the counter said wait, hang on, and went into the back.
Came back out with a Wii :eek: Apparently some guy was picking his order up today and called the store literally ten minutes before I got there to cancel. I dunno why she just didn't call the first person on the list, but I didn't care.
Picked up Wii Play as well, but no Zelda available obviously :( I'll probably just get some stuff from the Virtual Console, looking at Gunstar Heroes, Toe Jam & Earl, Sonic and the old school Zelda. But there are some great games coming out in early '07 for the Virtual thing as well. <3 Mega Drive :eek:

HSC
Robbeh said:
Nintendo is doing it's bit to get us off the couch.

I don't mind Wii so much, but I'm not much into Console gaming. It's too much upgrading. I'm stuck on N64 and I can't get the final two stars to finish Mario. Damn stars. DAMN YOU 148!
Mario 64 has 118 stars...

Bazookajoe: EB's in the city had zelda for $100, or Myer Castle Hill had it for $80 with about 6 copies a couple of days ago.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Castle Hill's a bit out of the way, but I may go into the city, thanks for the info

Robbeh

HSC
Capitalist Scum said:
Mario 64 has 118 stars...
Damn right you are.
Shows you how much console I play. The worst was the slide against the snowball.

HSC
Fuck mario's the first thing I'm buying on VC, or I could fire up my 64. I wish there was a way to get VC games for free provided you owned the original...

Robbeh

HSC
Capitalist_Scum: that would never work.
Adobe CS3 is coming out - once more they repackage it with a new .ico and more filters. But it's still the same as PS7. Vista's coming out, but Micro$oft would want all the money they can get from people upgrading from XP. Point is, money money money money money money money money money...

I want to play Smash Brothers again. Kirby ftw..
Bah, too bad I'm too cheap to buy games now. Too cheap.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)