Will ranks change much after the first assessment? (1 Viewer)

t00l

HSC
I just got my math 2u rank back for first assessment and its 70 / about 150. even though the mark was pretty decent i know its the rank that counts and this is terrible. in general, will these ranks be fairly indicative of the whole years performance? i keep thinking that even if i studied much harder than now and became much better, its likely the other 69 people above me are doing the same or more and Ill end up being ranked 70ish throughout the whole year.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I just got my math 2u rank back for first assessment and its 70 / about 150. even though the mark was pretty decent i know its the rank that counts and this is terrible. in general, will these ranks be fairly indicative of the whole years performance? i keep thinking that even if i studied much harder than now and became much better, its likely the other 69 people above me are doing the same or more and Ill end up being ranked 70ish throughout the whole year.
The more you think about your ranks, the more depressed you will be, the more worried you will be, and in the end you'll wonder why since it will ALWAYS work itself out. Rather than worrying concentrate on your study and do the best you can. Everything works itself out!

How do I know this?

I spent my whole year stressing just like you about ranks. They were terrible and I thought I would be luck to get an ATAR of around 85.

What did I get again?

Chill.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah ranks don't stay the same. I dropped from something like 5th to 16th in chemistry and 2nd to 9th in biology from the start of the year to the end. -.- Fml.

So basically, it's the start of the year, some people started with lots of motivation and will lose it, ie me. Others won't have gone as well to begin with, so will study harder and move up in the pack, sneaky lil' buggers.
... jk!

But um, certainly with things like english and maths, I know a lot of people who were able to jump 60 or so ranks, because often marks are quite close. Also it depends how much the exam was weighted, but even if it was worth quite a lot, you still have a lot of time to jump back up there. Don't be discouraged!

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I was like like 10 from the bottom in 2unit at the start of the year.

I ended up 13th out of like 70, and got 92 overall.

If you work hard, and pull off a few really high marks in some assessments you'll be fine.

NewiJapper

HSC
I was ranked 44/48 after the first assesment for Bio. I ended up coming 4th and an exam mark of 94. Don't think just because your rank after the first assesment is "bad", it's going to stay that way. Make sure you do well throughout the year and you will get the assesment mark you deserve in the end. Aswell as this, MAKE SURE that you do really well in larger weighted assesment tasks such as half-yearlies and the trial. The better you do in these bigger weighted ones, the more you can get infront and the more ranks you should climb.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The first assessment won't really do much to your ranks, or the one after that, unless there are large gaps between those who were originally close.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have had classes where the student who was ranked last after the first assessment task ended up first although I have never had someone go from first to last.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
The more you think about your ranks, the more depressed you will be, the more worried you will be, and in the end you'll wonder why since it will ALWAYS work itself out. Rather than worrying concentrate on your study and do the best you can. Everything works itself out!

How do I know this?

I spent my whole year stressing just like you about ranks. They were terrible and I thought I would be luck to get an ATAR of around 85.

Chill.
+1

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
probably not, though i managed 1st in legal and 3rd in eco and 2nd for music ill be trying to maintain the rank for my subs throughout the year..

remember, The wolf at the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill...

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
anything can happen in the year, someone i know in bio dropped from 2nd to like 15th. I was ranked like 140/164 after 1st english task and ended up getting 88 overall for hsc :D

similarly for chem 54/70 to 22/70 and ended up getting 89 overall.

so anything can happen as long as you put in effort, you can always climb back up.

JoannaS2

HSC
Thanks for some of the advice. I did pretty horrible in my first hsc assessments and got pretty down about it.

nilynily

HSC
dude everyone last year was so paranoid about their ranking and the ones who got good ones kept boasting about it. After the first assessment for all of my subjects, I was on the periphery of the entire ranking system-meaning I got shitty ranking.

I shove the book in my face and grinded down for the rest of the year, in the end i got all top 3 for all of my subjects and it was important because I did low-scaling subjects... but I still got crappy ranking for Advanced Maths and MX1 due to heavy competition :p

Official

Bring it on
HSC
I was ranked 44/48 after the first assesment for Bio. I ended up coming 4th and an exam mark of 94. Don't think just because your rank after the first assesment is "bad", it's going to stay that way. Make sure you do well throughout the year and you will get the assesment mark you deserve in the end. Aswell as this, MAKE SURE that you do really well in larger weighted assesment tasks such as half-yearlies and the trial. The better you do in these bigger weighted ones, the more you can get infront and the more ranks you should climb.
anything can happen in the year, someone i know in bio dropped from 2nd to like 15th. I was ranked like 140/164 after 1st english task and ended up getting 88 overall for hsc :D

similarly for chem 54/70 to 22/70 and ended up getting 89 overall.

so anything can happen as long as you put in effort, you can always climb back up.
These people are epic

mecramarathon

HSC
ranks are meant to be like a roller coaster or the share market, sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down its kinda unpredictable

(of course there are exceptions)

deterministic

HSC
ranks near the top dont fluctuate much due to the qualities of the students at the top. In the middle it changes a lot more.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
most trials are 40-50%, that will ultimately decide the ranks as it worth alot more than any other assessment.

if you are anywhere in the top 10 before trials you can snatch 1st place if you ace your trials, but you are unlikely to gain 70 positions just based on trials, that would require alot of people screwing up which is not likely

keep that in mind !

HSC
Uni Grad
I remember in preliminary, for english advanced, going from 156th all the way up to 17th xD
so yeah, just do your best and stop worrying, then you'll do well =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)