Will Standard English prevent me getting a high ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Physics_FTW

HSC
My brother says that usually its only top 1-2% in the state in standard get band 6, whereas its closer to 8-12% for advanced. He's shown me all the statewide statistics, which informed me well when I made my subject decisions :)

He did standard, got band 5 (89), still got over 99 UAI. So it is possible. It's just harder.

brendroid

HSC
I dropped down from advanced after seeing how boring and hectic it was in Year 11 and now doing standard.
After first assessment (which i topped), I was offered a position back to advanced but i rejected it because i found standard more fun and laid back :haha:
Now i kinda it regret now because I've been told if i wanted an ATAR above 90 i should be doing advanced and not waste my time on standard.
So do you think standard will fu*k my ATAR up?

Thanks,
I know someone in my grade who did Standard English along with 4U Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I think they got about 96/95 or something? So it is possible. And apparently my grade didn't have a good Science year, so that probably factored into things as well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My brother says that usually its only top 1-2% in the state in standard get band 6, whereas its closer to 8-12% for advanced. He's shown me all the statewide statistics, which informed me well when I made my subject decisions :)

He did standard, got band 5 (89), still got over 99 UAI. So it is possible. It's just harder.
Yeah, that is because the alignment into bands goes much worse for Standard due to the perhaps... lesser quality of the candidature. That's why I advocate Advanced so much because really, in my opinion, if you're any good at English - doing Standard just does you harm. And that negative alignment would - in my mind - hurt the scaled mark (I believe).

To those making Shadowdude jokes: I'm right here you know =P

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Definitely possible. One guy from my school (in cohort above) did Standard English and got a bit over 96. (NB: Our school was ranked in the 500's last year)

ibbi00

HSC
I dropped down from advanced after seeing how boring and hectic it was in Year 11 and now doing standard.
After first assessment (which i topped), I was offered a position back to advanced but i rejected it because i found standard more fun and laid back :haha:
Now i kinda it regret now because I've been told if i wanted an ATAR above 90 i should be doing advanced and not waste my time on standard.
So do you think standard will fu*k my ATAR up?

Thanks,
Don't be silly. Of course not.

decadentDee

HSC
Standard English won't prevent you from getting a high ATAR. However, this is on condition that you keep a very high rank (No less than top 3, preferably) and attain a Band 6 in your English exam.

When you think about it, the majority of students who do Standard English aren't really good at English at all. Therefore, to distinguish yourself from the mainstream bunch of Standard English students, you must be able to achieve a Band 6 in order to get that high ATAR you want.

A friend of mine did Standard English and got an ATAR in the mid-90s, albeit doing quite terribly in the exam (he scored in the 70s, which is not that great). However, bear in mind that he also did Chemistry, Physics and Maths Extension 2 and did quite well in them, which were basically the subjects that helped him get his 90+ ATAR in the first place. Technically speaking, if he had gotten a Band 6 in his English exam, he probably would've scraped a 98-99.95 ATAR.

So yeah, if you want a high ATAR with Standard English, you should be aiming to score a Band 6 in the exam.

And by the way, if your Standard English class is still doing Belonging, then you should definitely ask for a chance to transfer back into Advanced English again. The Belonging topic in both Standard and Advanced is exactly the same thing, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle to transfer back into Advanced. If, however, your Standard class has started on the Modules already (which are the actual texts and pieces you study), it's probably too late to transfer.

Give it a go, really :)

Advanced can get tedious at times, but you might find that Standard English may become a bit too easy for your liking.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
"Will Standard English prevent me getting a high ATAR?"

Answer depends on what you mean by 'high'

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
99.80 was the top atar a student got with standard english

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I consider high as 99+. Yeah it would make sense if OP deemed what he considers high.

JoannaS2

HSC
No, i don't think so. You just have to rank in the top. Don't forget, you still have to do well in all your other 8 units as well.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently 1st in my year atm and I don't want to go advanced cause i find the work much more harder such as shakespeare and standard has the modules which I would enjoy much more :p. Btw just stick to standard its betting topping standard then being the middle-high in advanced

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Shakespeare is not hard... how the hell can you find Shakespeare hard? Other than the language, it's a simple text that uses the same techniques - essentially - as every other text.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess its my personal preference also I hate shakespeare, i cant be bothered doing shakespeare so yeah im gonna stick with standard because they have some really sweet modules :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Have fun trying to get to your ATAR Aim then.

JustforLOLs

Banned
HSC
Yes you will get scaled down but you may still get a high ATAR. If you want to read up on a simple scaling/aligning guide please pm me for details I have it somewhere on my computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)