Witnessed cheating. What do I do? (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
First day back and marks are coming back.
  • Was in MX1
  • End of the day (everyone was returning their papers, asking how to do questions they got wrong or packing their bag and leaving)
  • Went up to an acquaintance to ask her about her marks
  • Saw her writing in her working out booklet in black (We were instructed to write in red or another colour not black by the teacher before papers were handed out)
  • Noticed her shifting the test paper over her working booklet
  • She told me to go home and not wait for her because she was going to my teacher
  • Complied and went back to my table, diagonally behind her
  • Turned around and saw her scribbling beside her answers in black
  • Saw her stand up and bring the papers to the teacher for extra marks

I don't know how to report her without evidence that isn't purely observational. I know what page of the test booklet she was on and roughly the area she wrote in (and randomly, her pen as well).

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
If you are going to report, might wanna keep it lowkey, otherwise gg acquaintanceship

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
If you are going to report, might wanna keep it lowkey, otherwise gg acquaintanceship
I feel rude for accusing someone but its disadvantaging me in terms of my rank. But I do not feel that my observation was incorrect in any way.

Orwell

HSC
Edit: Re-read what was said. The problem is that if you do report, they won't revert her mark back to the original but rather award her a 0 or harsher penalty. The HSC is cutthroat though, every man for himself. Ultimately, it's your call and in all honesty, I would report the incident. Her being a friend kinda sucks and luckily I haven't got a friend who cheats.

Last edited:

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Even if you did report it they can't really do anything about it since there is no proof. They would probably just sit her down and question her, then she would deny it. So yeah, you're kinda screwed either way

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Edit: Re-read what was said. The problem is that if you do report, they won't revert her mark back to the original but rather award her a 0 or harsher penalty. The HSC is cutthroat though, every man for himself. Ultimately, it's your call and in all honesty, I would report the incident. Her being a friend kinda sucks and luckily I haven't got a friend who cheats.
I don't care what the penalty is for her, if you choose to be immoral and get caught, then god damn. I don't really feel any remorse though even if she was kind of a friend.

Even if you did report it they can't really do anything about it since there is no proof. They would probably just sit her down and question her, then she would deny it. So yeah, you're kinda screwed either way
I know, this is my current dilemma. The only proof I have is that I know what question she was looking at and the area of the page she wrote it on. Maybe I'll try address it with my teacher privately.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Did your teacher already give her the extra marks? If so, then you might not be able to report what she done to the teacher unless if you don't want to look her in the eyes the next day. It's going to seem way too obvious that someone reported her to the teacher if the teacher deducts marks away from her after already giving her extra marks. How much will this effect you? Will she beat you in rankings after her cheating?

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what rank range is your school?

baktiar77

HSC
First confront your friend about this. Usually in most cases, it is easy to tel if someone is lying. If you are 99% sure, go to your teacher.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Did your teacher already give her the extra marks? If so, then you might not be able to report what she done to the teacher unless if you don't want to look her in the eyes the next day. It's going to seem way too obvious that someone reported her to the teacher if the teacher deducts marks away from her after already giving her extra marks. How much will this effect you? Will she beat you in rankings after her cheating?

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what rank range is your school?
I do not know if she got the marks, this was at the end of the day and I didn't really know how to confront something right after I seen it happen.
To be honest, I will not feel guilty for reporting something that shouldn't have been done and that we are aware of the immorality of it. I am pretty close to her in ranks - in fact, if she didn't cheat (which I presume she has been doing this for several previous assessments because she's always getting "extra marks that weren't counted"), I would be ahead of her.

My passive side is telling me to let karma get to her when she gets to the external where you can not change what you have written in an exam or add more to it. But I also want to throw those who have tried to incorrectly disadvantage others, under the bus.

My school rank is within the top 100s.

First confront your friend about this. Usually in most cases, it is easy to tel if someone is lying. If you are 99% sure, go to your teacher.
When I went to her to ask her about her marks (like every HSCer does to see how everyone is going relative to them), she shifted her paper over what she was writing, entirely stopped writing and had an uncomfortable voice while telling me that I shouldn't wait for her and should just leave and go home.

TBH, she's an ESL-er, she always sounds nervous and loud like someone has convicted her of something.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
I believe that you should go with your gut feelings and your conscience. Only you can judge to let this issue go or not.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If she has cheated, then she could drag down your internal mark for the HSC, as she can't perform to the same standard in externals due to the obvious fact she doesn't get to change her working out for the HSC exams once it has been handed in.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I do not know if she got the marks, this was at the end of the day and I didn't really know how to confront something right after I seen it happen.
To be honest, I will not feel guilty for reporting something that shouldn't have been done and that we are aware of the immorality of it. I am pretty close to her in ranks - in fact, if she didn't cheat (which I presume she has been doing this for several previous assessments), I would be ahead of her.

My school rank is within the top 100s.
You won't feel guilty when you do it but you might feel guilty when you see her later on after she has her consequence. How close is your relationship with her?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
If she has cheated, then she could drag down your internal mark for the HSC, as she can't perform to the same standard in externals due to the obvious fact she doesn't get to change her working out for the HSC exams once it has been handed in.
I am 99% sure that extra writing in black pen on the working out booklets for MX1 was her cheating through adding additional things she has missed out for various 1 mark questions

However, I do not know if this observational evidence:
1) She was writing in her booklet in black pen
2) Covered it up when I approached her
3) Was told in a panicky way (sounded like she was panicking from being "nearly" caught) to go away
4) Turned around and saw her commence scribbling in
5) + I know the page for the question she was looking at and the area of the booklet (don't know which booklet though) she was writing on
6) Logically, she had a 4-coloured pen beside her, why wasn't she writing with that?

is enough to put her in the right place.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I am 99% sure that extra writing in black pen on the working out booklets for MX1 was her cheating through adding additional things she has missed out for the 1 mark questions

However, I do not know if this observational evidence:
1) She was writing in her booklet in black pen
2) Covered it up when I approached her
3) Was told in a panicky way (sounded like she was panicking from being "nearly" caught) to go away
4) Turned around and saw her commence scribbling in
5) + I know the page for the question she was looking at and the area of the booklet (don't know which booklet though) she was writing on
6) Logically, she had a 4-coloured pen beside her, why wasn't she writing with that?

is enough to put her in the right place.
Also reporting her may mean even if she isn't penalised this time, teachers will know to keep an eye on her in the future when she receives her assessments back.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also reporting her may mean even if she isn't penalised this time, teachers will know to keep an eye on her in the future when she receives her assessments back.
I think this might be the better option, as if she does cheat in the future, she will receive the consequence she deserves.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
You won't feel guilty when you do it but you might feel guilty when you see her later on after she has her consequence. How close is your relationship with her?
I will feel bad that they feel bad that they were found out. I'm definitely a little more of a friend with her than just an acquaintance. But this is the HSC, I don't feel like disadvantaging myself by letting her fly past me with fake marks. In fact, I feel bothered that I didn't approach the teacher right after I saw it happen because I was scared that I was just overthinking the situation.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I will feel bad that they feel bad that they were found out. I'm definitely a little more of a friend with her than just an acquaintance. But this is the HSC, I don't feel like disadvantaging myself by letting her fly past me with fake marks. In fact, I feel bothered that I didn't approach the teacher right after I saw it happen because I was scared that I was just overthinking the situation.
Do you always beat her in assessment tasks? Are you smarter than her?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If you did report her, how do you know she'd know it was you who reported it? Were you the only one who saw her apparently cheating?

StudiousStudent

HSC
It's a hard situation to be in, and as awkward as it may be, she shouldn't be entitled to outperform others that were obliging by the conditions.

Think of it like plagiarism - unacceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)