Worst car on the road today? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Worst Cars:
Chrysler PT Cruiser (HATE them, and so ugly and tacky)
Dodge Caliber
Hummer H3 (soooo stupid, who would buy this unless you travel through trecharous, rocky landscapes on your daily commute??)
Falcon/Commo utes with sportkit, esp FPV/HSV (sporty utes look so stupid and redneck, and defeat their purpose and compromise their usefulness)
ANYTHING from Ssangyong is hideously ugly
Any SUV which is hopeless offroad

Don't know why people giving Getz/Yaris/etc a hard time, they are inexpensive, reliable and fuel efficient cars that get the job done quite nicely.

I quite like those new utes from Holden/Ford even though the HSV/FPV models do defeat the purpose a bit.

Btw I don't know if Getz and Yaris should be in same category lol.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Got2Kno91 said:
Hummer H3 (soooo stupid, who would buy this unless you travel through trecharous, rocky landscapes on your daily commute??).........

Any SUV which is hopeless offroad...
The second sentence kinda sums up the Hummer. The civilian Hummers are hopeless offroad compared to say... A Range Rover, the Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Pajero... Actually... They are just hopeless.

hectic_lowie

Banned
HSC
I think people miss the point of HSV/ FPV utes

they arent built for carrying loads

they are 2 door SPORTS cars with HUGE boots. As fast as a 911, and can still carry a 500kg load.

What is there not to like about them?

hectic_lowie

Banned
HSC
H3s are good offroad, where did you hear otherwise

Edit: most 4wds are average off road, modifications are required for any new 4wd i can think of.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I've heard stories from my friend who goes 4-wheel driving heaps. His weapon of choice is an old military-style Range Rover which he cut the roof off and made convertible and a '97 Range Rover HSE.

Both cars beat Hummers easy. He also says that Hummers are too big for a lot of 4-wheel drive locations, they simply don't fit on the track. Also, because they tend to be under-powered, a lot of the time, if they get themself stuck or are facing a large climb, you're not going anywhere.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Well, the H3 is as average as the others, with the added downfall of being too big and badly underpowered.

I don't think many current 'fourbies' are underpowered?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Its 4wding, nothing is underpowered. The best 4Wd i know is a subaru brumby that has been lifted. its probably got like 80kw. My hilux has 67kw and will go pretty much anywhere.

H3s are like 180kw, not underpowered lol. I have read H3s are very capable off-road, and that their on-road is compromised.

rozymisty

HSC
Seriously check out the NCAP results videos on youtube. I'm sure they're up there.

Another thing, not sure if you've ever sat in one but try closing the door. Even on the cheapo model it has a nice solid thud which is considerably nicer sounding than my Civic or Lancer. Comparable to a German sedan 'thud'.
I was going to buy a Yaris, but after seeing the clip of a yaris vs camry at 65kph head on, im lke ah nup...

YouTube - IIHS Crash Test Of Toyota Camry Versus Toyota Yaris

having said that, there was a fatal on the Bruce Hwy a few days ago and on the news the bonnet wasnt that dented but yeah obviously it was enough to kill someone.

Also my brother was in a car accident where the car was a write off, and somehow managed to crawl out of the car.

I guess luck plays a part as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was going to buy a Yaris, but after seeing the clip of a yaris vs camry at 65kph head on, im lke ah nup...

YouTube - IIHS Crash Test Of Toyota Camry Versus Toyota Yaris
Wow that is an interesting video. I am surprised because both are considered to be high performers at least in the Australian NCAP testing. IIRC both are 5 star performers in terms of occupant protection. The only thing I can think of is that the NCAP testing is flawed because it simulates a crash at approximately that road speed into a stationary object whereas this video shows two vehicles doing that speed which essentially treats it as double that speed (i.e. it's just like a 80mph crash into a brick wall). The only other thought which comes to mind is the safety equipment levels may also vary between markets but I was under the impression that the Safe-T cell or something technology which Toyota touts is a part of the chassis and cannot just be specified away in different markets. Any other takers?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The T-cell (the cabin?) doesn't get compromised in that video though, the front end takes the beating. Simple physics says the yaris is getting hurt more, would be different if there were 2 camrys or 2 yarises.

Thats no reason to put off buying a yaris though, considering that's the result of almost 130 clicks.

EDIT: Are you sure its 40mph each? I have no clue, just wondering if thats the vehicle speed or impact speed.

chuha

HSC
N/A
Hummers = ugly.
is it suzuki colt?....or wateva the hell it is = friggin' lame.
suzuki swift = so ovverrated and so over it!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The T-cell (the cabin?) doesn't get compromised in that video though, the front end takes the beating. Simple physics says the yaris is getting hurt more, would be different if there were 2 camrys or 2 yarises.

Thats no reason to put off buying a yaris though, considering that's the result of almost 130 clicks.

EDIT: Are you sure its 40mph each? I have no clue, just wondering if thats the vehicle speed or impact speed.
I'm not sure as I am no expert in interpretting videos of crash testing but it looked like the occupants got pretty smashed from memory (not opening it again on my uber slow netbook!).

And I still think the Yaris which has performed well in testing reports is at least some indicator that it is a better bet than many of the other cheaper cars out there on the market.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I love the shit that is going on here regarding 4wd. Obviously none of you have ever driven off road or driven a proper 4wd like the 70 series troopies. They are the best 4wd's on the market in terms of off road ability. Comfort/speed is another matter.

Hummers are too big/slow for offroading.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
The yaris appears to do very well to me? Occupant safety isnt comprimised as much as i thought, crumple zones work

im sure ancap and shit take this into consideration with their tests, using stationary impact tests eliminates variables between the 2 cars and gives a standard to work off

and remember the larger cars are hitting the stationary impact thingos harder than the smaller cars

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
The yaris appears to do very well to me? Occupant safety isnt comprimised as much as i thought, crumple zones work

im sure ancap and shit take this into consideration with their tests, using stationary impact tests eliminates variables between the 2 cars and gives a standard to work off

and remember the larger cars are hitting the stationary impact thingos harder than the smaller cars
i dont mean safety...i just mean its ugly and overpriced...and i wouldnt be seen driving it...

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
its one of the cheapest cars you can buy

with excellent build quality

what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)