• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoilgam

HSC
The only disadvantage of going to a badly ranked school is that there's less 'competition' or drive to excel academically, and that can result in either a) you making excuses b) complacency
A lot of people thrive in a competitive environment, I remember deswa1 saying that going to a selective school pushed him to do better. Personally, I would hate to be in that type of environment and I usually do better in a chill atmosphere - quite a few people are similar. So it isnt an absolute disadvantage.

Fiction

HSC
Interesting posts by enoilgam regarding maths:

Thoughts?
Well hell yeah. I'm slightly biased though, since I missed out on accelerated 2 unit maths b/c of crappy year 8 marks.
I agree that junior school was just a waste of time though. I mean look at the 2 unit year 11 syllabus. So far, (in my school anyways) we're pretty much just relearning 7-10 syllabus with some extension. I feel that senior school could be so much more productive/less stressful, if junior years was taken more seriously. I mean I think i was having a small argument with someone on BOS on what the expectations of senior english should be, and someone said that most senior students don't even know hot to structure an essay. That for me is ridiculous since essay structure is the basis of essay writing, which is what everyone should be comfortable-ish with, from all the assessments, classes, etc in junior school.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
I wish I was futuremed , alas I am just a lonely potato

Goodbye all

enoilgam

HSC
I mean I think i was having a small argument with someone on BOS on what the expectations of senior english should be, and someone said that most senior students don't even know hot to structure an essay. That for me is ridiculous since essay structure is the basis of essay writing, which is what everyone should be comfortable-ish with, from all the assessments, classes, etc in junior school.
I didnt know what an essay was until Year 11 (I actually had to ask my teacher).

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I should stress that I am generalising, because not all schools are the same.
Thankfully, I was given the opportunity to take on advanced and extension math - regardless of my poor marks in year 8.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Well hell yeah. I'm slightly biased though, since I missed out on accelerated 2 unit maths b/c of crappy year 8 marks.
I agree that junior school was just a waste of time though. I mean look at the 2 unit year 11 syllabus. So far, (in my school anyways) we're pretty much just relearning 7-10 syllabus with some extension. I feel that senior school could be so much more productive/less stressful, if junior years was taken more seriously. I mean I think i was having a small argument with someone on BOS on what the expectations of senior english should be, and someone said that most senior students don't even know hot to structure an essay. That for me is ridiculous since essay structure is the basis of essay writing, which is what everyone should be comfortable-ish with, from all the assessments, classes, etc in junior school.
Again, you are generalising - some students may not have the skills prior to entering senior years.

Fiction

HSC
Of course, if the school is that shit, then you would have to do well to be ahead of the herd.
I don't actually get what you mean by that. I thought we were discussing whether less comeptition is bad or good...? In any school, if you want to be "ahead of the herd" you have to do well...

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I don't actually get what you mean by that. I thought we were discussing whether less comeptition is bad or good...? In any school, if you want to be "ahead of the herd" you have to do well...
I meant that if your school is shit, I'm talking about how relaxed x cohort would be.

Fiction

HSC
Again, you are generalising - some students may not have the skills prior to entering senior years.
And I'm saying they should. "what everyone should be comfortable-ish" not what everyone is comfortable-ish. Junior school = should reinforce foundation of whatever that is taught in senior school. For people I've dicussed with and personal experience, junior school = waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)