• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoilgam

HSC
Thankfully, I was given the opportunity to take on advanced and extension math - regardless of my poor marks in year 8.
Same here - but only because my school took a large number for 5.3.

Again, you are generalising - some students may not have the skills prior to entering senior years.
This - it's more of an issue in maths, where poor teaching in the younger years results in students with either lacking knowledge or a poor grasp of concepts.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Our head teacher cut so many people from mathematics and mathematics extension 1 for their lack of performance

IMO people can improve over time

Take my brother for example:

In the beginning of year 11 he was coming in the bottom 20 for extension and bottom 40 for maths

At the end of year 12:

Mathematics Rank: 8th HSC Mark: 97

Mathematics Extension 1 Rank: 11th HSC Mark: 94 (or 47 / 50)

It just goes to show that people can improve over time, just as long as they're willing to do so :D

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
And I'm saying they should. "what everyone should be comfortable-ish" not what everyone is comfortable-ish. Junior school = should reinforce foundation of whatever that is taught in senior school. For people I've dicussed with and personal experience, junior school = waste of time.
It's kinda true both ways - yes, you should have fun given that it's junior years, but at the same time, it's sensible to have the roots already set in stone; especially with maths and english, otherwise the tree is gonna become unstable.

Fiction

HSC
I didnt know what an essay was until Year 11 (I actually had to ask my teacher).
Precisely c: The point I was trying to get to, admittedly in a roundabout way, is that junior school = useless. Allstudents should know the basics of whichever subject(s) by senior years. Otherwise, essentially, everything you learn by the end of year 12, was basically taught to you in just under 2 years.

Fiction

HSC
Our head teacher cut so many people from mathematics and mathematics extension 1 for their lack of performance

IMO people can improve over time

Take my brother for example:

In the beginning of year 11 he was coming in the bottom 20 for extension and bottom 40 for maths

At the end of year 12:

Mathematics Rank: 8th HSC Mark: 97

Mathematics Extension 1 Rank: 11th HSC Mark: 94 (or 47 / 50)

It just goes to show that people can improve over time, just as long as they're willing to do so :D
I don't think I'll have the opportunity to improve if my teacher is (prolly) thinking of kicking me out soon. SADDNESS D: Just goes to show you should never underestimate maths.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Precisely c: The point I was trying to get to, admittedly in a roundabout way, is that junior school = useless. Allstudents should know the basics of whichever subject(s) by senior years. Otherwise, essentially, everything you learn by the end of year 12, was basically taught to you in just under 2 years.
Have you ever considered that junior years do not correlate to how you go in year 11 & 12?

matchalolz

HSC
this. years 7-9 party :D, year 10 = learn algebra and how to write an essay. year 11 = shit.

Fiction

HSC
It's kinda true both ways - yes, you should have fun given that it's junior years, but at the same time, it's sensible to have the roots already set in stone; especially with maths and english, otherwise the tree is gonna become unstable.
Exactly. Hence my generalising isn't generalising b/c I'm not saying all students are comfortable with essay, I'm saying they should be. And all students should be b/c of
1. sheer amount of eng classes + assessments + practise time based on essays
2. English is compulsory. Therefore there is no counter-argument like what if student x doesn't like eng or watevs. That/ those student(s) will be taking english regardless of whether they like it or not, and therefore a solid foundation of Eng should be necessary.

Fiction

HSC
Have you ever considered that junior years do not correlate to how you go in year 11 & 12?
I'm assuming that junior years provide foundation for year 11 and year 12. High school basically sets you up for HSC, so it's a pretty logical assumption. Why? Are junior years not meant to set the founding knowledge for what year 11 and 12 are based upon?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm assuming that junior years provide foundation for year 11 and year 12. High school basically sets you up for HSC, so it's a pretty logical assumption. Why? Are junior years not meant to set the founding knowledge for what year 11 and 12 are based upon?
So are you saying that for student A who didn't do well in junior years will do crap in the HSC and vice versa for student B?

matchalolz

HSC
omg just going to rant here, but i really hate it when people think i'm stupid because i didn't take any sciences :mad3:
bitch plz i just chose the things i was actually interested in, and it's on these days that i wonder if it would've been a better decision to take the asian 5 instead...

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
omg just going to rant here, but i really hate it when people think i'm stupid because i didn't take any sciences :mad3:
bitch plz i just chose the things i was actually interested in, and it's on these days that i wonder if it would've been a better decision to take the asian 5 instead...
fakdah8rz

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
they're meant to be but they make year 7-10 a bludge, no wonder when you hit ur hsc years everything seems overwhelming for most people.

Fiction

HSC
this. years 7-9 party :D, year 10 = learn algebra and how to write an essay. year 11 = shit.
haha lol xD in year 10, my year everyone (unless you had a good reason) had to do peer support and some of the advice my peers parted to the year 7s were: don't try in year 7-9, it doesn't count for anything :O

All the year 7s were looking like we told them xmas was tomorrow.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
they're meant to be but they make year 7-10 a bludge, no wonder when you hit ur hsc years everything seems overwhelming for most people.
it takes time to adjust

like for me, I didn't do shit in year 7-10 - but now I'm coping alright.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
ok, i think ur smart. imo, just cos u don't do a science doesn't mean ur dumb. period. I know people who got 99+ WITHOUT maths and a science. so please don't underestimate urself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)