Year 11 2014 Chat :) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightthefuze

HSC
shit, dat dedication

all i'm doing is revising the stuff i learnt in class on that day in the afternoon and then create notes on the weekend
WARNING

PLEASE DO NOT DO NOTES ON THE WEEKEND AFTER A WHOLE WEEK OF CONTENT! I cannot stress this enough. Myself and my friends tried this out in Year 11 and it did not work for any of us, why? Because it was difficult to collate a week's worth of content into two days, as well as unexpected homework tasks, essays and assignments. I highly suggest that you do notes every afternoon, or take notes during class. This will ensure that you have all the notes that you need and you will have spare time to chill on the weekends.

Fiction

HSC
I won't deny that, but again, what works for X person may not work for Y person. Basically all you need to do is to pay attention in class and be able to follow where the class is at. If you're struggling, hit the internet up for whatever you're struggling on because there's limitless information on the internet. BoS resources alone are quite useful.

It's what I found useful for my studying anyway.
I largely agree with you. But just pointing out that lightthefuze is pretty reasonable in saying that it is pretty difficult in summarizing 5 days of notes in two days. Very few people would be bothered to do it every week. Besides, there's also the whole issue of remembering enough content to actually summarise into decent notes after a whole week xD (assuming studying individual does not draw upon other resources)

matchalolz

HSC
I highly prefer doing my notes daily or if not, within 3 days. But ofc, quality/quantity and sometimes I ditch notes if there are better things to do. Tbh, u don't get assessed on how good your notes are

astroman

HSC
I highly prefer doing my notes daily or if not, within 3 days. But ofc, quality/quantity and sometimes I ditch notes if there are better things to do. Tbh, u don't get assessed on how good your notes are
true dat, but notes are pretty much what u need in preparation for exams so they are a big part of HSC study

astroman

HSC
^no point in doing past papers if you don't even know how or what to do to answer questions correctly

Fiction

HSC
I largely agree with you. But just pointing out that lightthefuze is pretty reasonable in saying that it is pretty difficult in summarizing 5 days of notes in two days. Very few people would be bothered to do it every week. Besides, there's also the whole issue of remembering enough content to actually summarise into decent notes after a whole week xD (assuming studying individual does not draw upon other resources)
Of course, it depends on how you approach things - I'm just saying that for me, whenever I create notes, normally what happens is that however I read them, nothing gets absorbed. It's why during the holidays I experimented study tactics and discovered that by immediately reciting or teaching what you learnt in class on that day, you're more likely to remember it. And you'd repeat this process 48 hours afterwards, then a week later, and then a month onwards - thus long-term memory is utilised.

But, that's just me. Notes are only for exposure to new content in my opinion - what's more important is exam technique.
We seem to be on the same page c: I don't see how our points dispute the other's lol.

matchalolz

HSC
^no point in doing past papers if you don't even know how or what to do to answer questions correctly
when studying content heavy subjects like business studies and eco, I ditched notes for past papers and it worked. Idk, i just felt that if you somewhat pay attention in class you'll have enough info to do a solid job of bullshitting through the paper. It's different for maths

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
WARNING

PLEASE DO NOT DO NOTES ON THE WEEKEND AFTER A WHOLE WEEK OF CONTENT! I cannot stress this enough. Myself and my friends tried this out in Year 11 and it did not work for any of us, why? Because it was difficult to collate a week's worth of content into two days, as well as unexpected homework tasks, essays and assignments. I highly suggest that you do notes every afternoon, or take notes during class. This will ensure that you have all the notes that you need and you will have spare time to chill on the weekends.
Good advice

Fiction

HSC
But what about the people who don't learn via making notes? You do realise some can do well by just doing practice papers, right?
I guess, but practise papers are, like astroman said, useless if you don't know your content well enough. It's also pretty hard for anyone to study without any notes whatsoever with certain subjects more than others. E.g, I don't think it'll be advisable to learn content-heavy subjects such as bio through past papers alone, simply because not all content that could potentially be tested would be covered with enough depth in past papers - even if you do have working out solutions.

I think you maybe meant that some people use a different medium other than pen or paper or typed documents for their notes? I.e recording aural tracks and replaying them...?

Fiction

HSC
Of course, it depends on how you approach things - I'm just saying that for me, whenever I create notes, normally what happens is that however I read them, nothing gets absorbed. It's why during the holidays I experimented study tactics and discovered that by immediately reciting or teaching what you learnt in class on that day, you're more likely to remember it. And you'd repeat this process 48 hours afterwards, then a week later, and then a month onwards - thus long-term memory is utilised.

But, that's just me. Notes are only for exposure to new content in my opinion - what's more important is exam technique.

Felt like you implied you were defending something :) Them feels.

plot twist: there was no disputation
8D herp derp.

matchalolz

HSC
i feel like some ppl at my school are so focused on writing "the perfect answer" and end up memorising copious amount of stuff. They need to have faith in themselves that they know the content. Although notes are important, they're not everything!!! NOTES ARE OVERRATED

J280

HSC
i feel like some ppl at my school are so focused on writing "the perfect answer" and end up memorising copious amount of stuff. They need to have faith in themselves that they know the content. Although notes are important, they're not everything!!! NOTES ARE OVERRATED
Thoroughly agree with this. Notes are pretty important, but just understanding content+answering past paper questions and perfecting exam technique is far more important IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)