Year 11 Study Time (1 Viewer)

OXYGIN

HSC
Hi i am currently in year 11 and im stressing. Could someone please tell me how much a day i should study a day?

my subjects are :

• Adv English
  • Physics
  • Gen Maths
  • Ancient History
  • Software Desgn
  • Legal Studies
I wanna be a cop so i need 66 UAI. But i really want to get 85 UAI

Thanks

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well, I think it depends on the person. You should aim more for how much content you want to get covered rather than how long you will study for. Eg I want to finish maths chapter 3 a, b and c tonight, rather than saying I want to study 2 hours of maths tonight.
Have you started writing study notes yet?
And are you referring to homework as well as 'study'?
I do about 3-4 hours on a normal day, of combined study/homework. Sometimes I'll give myself a break if I dont have much homework due, other times if I have exams (like last week ;-; ) then I'll do more..

Last edited:

OXYGIN

HSC
nah i just mean study. i dont count homework as study.:p
i only have about one page of notes on each subject so far

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well, for purely study, maybe.. ideally I'd like to say an hour a night, but I really don't do that XD
I study a lot for perhaps 1 or 2 weeks before if I have exams coming up. It is good to spend time every night summarising the work you have done each day , but I find often study notes are more easily made at the end when you have all the material and can easily organise it into the dot points. If you find you have time left over each night after homework, then you should definately start to make notes, one page doesnt sound like very much.. I have like 10 each for bio and chem and 5 or so for english, but if you find you really dont have time, dont stress too much, just make sure you have it all organised a few weeks before exams. *shrug*
Oh, and judging by my friends who are doing legal, the content is huge and they have pages and pages of notes.. But maybe your school is going slower, i dont know. :)

Last edited:

Miss Code

HSC
As someone studying the HSC i have been told do each subject in 30min blocks because that allows your brain to take in the information.

For example say you get home at 4pm give yourself half an hour to relax, then study 30mins of english, 30mins of Physics take a 30min stop to allow yourself to take in this imformation, do an hour of h/w or assessments just to take your mind away from all this information. (plus it needs to be done) have dinner/ chores if you have any, then do four 30min blocks of Gen Maths Ancient History Software Desgn and Legal Studies .

This is how i do it because this is how my Mentor has told me to do it so every subject gets studied for, my assessments and homework gets done. This doesnt make me to stressed, but normally like if i have exams (like for the next two weeks) i spend a couple more 30min blocks on them.

You have to find a way that works for you.
Good luck

Last edited:

OXYGIN

HSC
thankyou everyone that helped. ill be putting that information to use on monday afternoon :)

thanks again very helpful

HSC
it really depend on you & how much you want to get done each afternoon.
it takes different people, different amounts of time to study the same thing.

Miss Code

HSC
thankyou everyone that helped. ill be putting that information to use on monday afternoon :)

thanks again very helpful
On sunday night i also spend an hour going through my day planner and writting my aims for that week, the weeks study time table because things change with other commitments on different days, dont get to stressed, you neeed a balance :)

Also another tip, say you have a double of a class in the afternoon that afternoon study that subject first as its fresh in ur mind

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Study without homework... i'm going to say 3 hours maximum a week for your subjects in prelims.

I rarely did any study if i exlcuded homework for prelims XD

PrettyVacant

HSC
I did about 20 minutes per night on a good night for yr 11. Srsly it doesn't count. =\

It's just good to "get into the habit" of study but honestly I didn't even study that much during yr 12 (I'm talking ONLY work on assessments and CRAM LIKE CRAZY before Externals and Trials).

:p Yeah. I pulled all nighters very very frequently...got addicted to caffeine...had NO notes except notes I stole off other people. Basically ran through past papers a day before the externals and make epic notes.

Don't do what I did...unfortunately I must say it was very very effective for me in terms of work:mark ratios. I did a lot better than people who worked far harder than me. I think I was just lucky.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did about 20 minutes per night on a good night for yr 11. Srsly it doesn't count. =\

It's just good to "get into the habit" of study but honestly I didn't even study that much during yr 12 (I'm talking ONLY work on assessments and CRAM LIKE CRAZY before Externals and Trials).

:p Yeah. I pulled all nighters very very frequently...got addicted to caffeine...had NO notes except notes I stole off other people. Basically ran through past papers a day before the externals and make epic notes.

Don't do what I did...unfortunately I must say it was very very effective for me in terms of work:mark ratios. I did a lot better than people who worked far harder than me. I think I was just lucky.
WOW!! I doubt it was just luck, you must've had extremly good study techniques and you got into medicine @ UNSW

how did you go in the HSC?

PrettyVacant

HSC
;) Study smart, not hard.

In terms of UAI, I didn't do that well. The only reason I got into my course is 'cause they had additional selection criteria (ie. interview) that I aced.

I got 98.5, which is a lot lower than the median UAI for UNSW med but you'll find that quite a few people got UAIs a bit lower than mine and still got in.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

In terms of UAI, I didn't do that well. The only reason I got into my course is 'cause they had additional selection criteria (ie. interview) that I aced.

I got 98.5, which is a lot lower than the median UAI for UNSW med but you'll find that quite a few people got UAIs a bit lower than mine and still got in.
Any tips on smart study? :)

also what did you get for UMAT?

Interview was 100 yes? :D

Deer

Premium Member
HSC

98.5? Not well?
D:

bored.of.u

HSC
nothing in year 11 really counts to your hsc so consider it a test year trial different study methods and use the one that suits u best =] good luck

gorjuz_paki

HSC
hey everyone,
i was just thinking how would you study for prac exams?? i have a prac exam comming up n i dont no how to study it 4 chem
thnks

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
my school diary says you should study for 18 hours a week...FUCK THAT, thats like how much i work...
hmm and this is your hsc year...

if you're meant to study 18 hours a week... then wow!

For MBBS you need to do about 40-50 hours

hmmmmmmmmmm

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
  • Adv English
  • Physics
  • Gen Maths
  • Ancient History
  • Software Desgn
  • Legal Studies
tbh, i didn't do that much work in year 11 and i easily caught up.
from a year 12's perspective, you want to be keeping up with things that directly build on themselves (i.e. they develop continually, if you miss something you won't understand something down the track)

i'm not sure about software design but from those subjects only maths english and physics look cumulative in this way.

i did nothing in legal and ancient in year 11, then started working in year 12 and now i'm top 10 in legal and ancient at a selective high school. its because they don't build on each other. they are completely different topics with completely different concepts. year 11 is very much separate from year 12 in these subjects.

you DON'T have to be doing as much work as you think, just do about 10 minutes reading on physics english and maths when u get home, just to make sure you got everything in class. that way you will be able to draw it back more easily when you study it later. thats a good first step. you'll be able to build general knowledge of whats going on in class and give yourself ground to build study on come test time.

obviously i'm not saying don't put effort in to all subjects, but if you're stressing, it really does pay to think about what will affect next years performance and what won't.

a bit of general advice, its not about marks, its about ranks. don't worry if you aren't getting great marks, if your getting decent ranks, you will be able to get the UAI you need with great ease. you could definately get well into the 70's and 80's. skys the limit mate =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)