• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deswa1

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

What you on about?

Science is the best mang *coughs* *coughs*. In terms of aligning, Economics pales in comparison to Physics + Chemistry :p despite their rivalry in terms of scaling.

Even Aysce can confirm humanities pales in comparison to sciences like Chemistry~~~

(in all srsness, long live humanities :). Who cares about the speed of your maths class, you're so ahead already. You should do your maths tutor hw in maths class then.)
But this is because science marking is so much more brutal than economics marking. In science you get owned for retarded things but in economics no one really cares if you get a small thing wrong.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

Hahaha our teacher bribed me to enter the economics competition in return for lollies lol :p

and we've already finished that! we're halfway through our second topic :) (were kinda fast i guess idk)
Yeah, you're definitely fast! :) Or maybe it's because we have a lot of discussions, not sure.

haha wow thank god i don't do any sciences ^_^ were slow as fuck in maths because we have people who can't even multiply (srs) doing it. This chick was like "miss what's 6 times 8?" and they don't know how to add fractions. So I just spend my maths lessons on facebook on my school laptop ^_^ thank you tafe account lol
We are almost finished the second topic for 2U. What are you up to?

kat-

msftsrep
HSC

Yeah, you're definitely fast! :) Or maybe it's because we have a lot of discussions, not sure.

We are almost finished the second topic for 2U. What are you up to?
i don't know how were so fast in eco since the teacher spends most of her time picking on me in class.

In 2U, were learning how to add algebraic fractions

lol

lol

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
What should I do to become blitz speed at MX2?
For easy-er type questions I can solve them at an average speed (I think), and from what I've seen and heard, the main problem in MX2 is time management.

So I want to know what I can do to maximise my solving speed in the easy stuff like Complex Numbers, easy Polynomials and Graphs (and easy Conics)
I don't want people to say practise because its boring to just do the same easy questions over and over :(

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

i don't know how were so fast in eco since the teacher spends most of her time picking on me in class.

In 2U, were learning how to add algebraic fractions

lol

lol
Maybe you find it easy because you have already accelerated it :s

iBibah

HSC
What should I do to become blitz speed at MX2?
For easy-er type questions I can solve them at an average speed (I think), and from what I've seen and heard, the main problem in MX2 is time management.

So I want to know what I can do to maximise my solving speed in the easy stuff like Complex Numbers, easy Polynomials and Graphs (and easy Conics)
I don't want people to say practise because its boring to just do the same easy questions over and over :(
Learn the acceptable shortcuts for easy questions that are tedious.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC

Maybe you find it easy because you have already accelerated it :s
true but like even my friends who don't go to tutoring or accelerated or whatever think it's basic year 9 or 10 work.

I don't know but i don't do anything in that class so lol

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Learn the acceptable shortcuts for easy questions that are tedious.
Could you give me an example of a shortcut? (besides obvious ones like inspection for polynomials)

iBibah

HSC
Could you give me an example of a shortcut? (besides obvious ones like inspection for polynomials)
For example, if i asked you to square root 35-12i, you should write this on your exam paper:

sqrt(35-12i)= +or- (6-i)

In your head you can find 2 numbers that multiply to give -6, and one of them squared minus the other squared is 35. Seems trivial but learning shortcuts such as this across all topics will save a great deal of time.

There is no need to do all the working, where silly mistake may happen, and time is lost.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

But this is because science marking is so much more brutal than economics marking. In science you get owned for retarded things but in economics no one really cares if you get a small thing wrong.
Yeah, that's definitely true.

And that's why Economics is gr8 :haha:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
For example, if i asked you to square root 35-12i, you should write this on your exam paper:

sqrt(35-12i)= +or- (6-i)

In your head you can find 2 numbers that multiply to give -6, and one of them squared minus the other squared is 35. Seems trivial but learning shortcuts such as this across all topics will save a great deal of time.

There is no need to do all the working, where silly mistake may happen, and time is lost.
Ah ok so we are just inspecting

Thanks, I try it out and see how fast I can do them =)

iBibah

HSC
Ah ok so we are just inspecting

Thanks, I try it out and see how fast I can do them =)
It's only one shortcut, but its this concept of minimising working that saves time to be spent on the harder questions.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Alright I tried to blitz through a Baulkham Hills HYE
It was a really easy exam but I kept making mistakes so I had to backtrack which made me lose even more time :/

I noticed that the places that I was losing most time with was Circle Geometry and Implicit Graphs

Any tips specific to those areas?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Ok, so I have read from many people that for 4U Mathematics they distinguish state rankers by looking at 3U marks (in case there is a tie)
Is this true? Or is it based on speculation?

I would think that if there is a tie for state ranks they would see who made the better proofs, etc, and distinguish them that way.

enoilgam

HSC
This is taken directly from the BoS site (note the bolded bit):

"The First Place in Course List contains the names and teaching schools of those students who achieve the top mark in any course, provided they also are placed in the top band (Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate) for that course. If two or more students receive the top HSC mark, the average of the examination mark and the assessment mark (each to one decimal place) is then used to select the top student(s). In the case of extension courses, if two or more students receive equal marks then the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration."

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
This is taken directly from the BoS site (note the bolded bit):

"The First Place in Course List contains the names and teaching schools of those students who achieve the top mark in any course, provided they also are placed in the top band (Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate) for that course. If two or more students receive the top HSC mark, the average of the examination mark and the assessment mark (each to one decimal place) is then used to select the top student(s). In the case of extension courses, if two or more students receive equal marks then the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration."
ah ok :(

4U State rankers usually get 100/100 for 3U right?

HSC
Alright I tried to blitz through a Baulkham Hills HYE
It was a really easy exam but I kept making mistakes so I had to backtrack which made me lose even more time :/

I noticed that the places that I was losing most time with was Circle Geometry and Implicit Graphs

Any tips specific to those areas?
Personally I find that it helps if you do mentally do circle geo questions during reading time (after you quickly flick through the paper) and hopefully you would already have a general idea of the proof beforehand so you only have to worry about expressing/writing it down on paper. Otherwise I reckon the tediousness is unavoidable imo

enoilgam

HSC
ah ok :(

4U State rankers usually get 100/100 for 3U right?
Not always I dont think. From what I know, once you get to a certain point in 3 unit, it becomes more a game of luck as one stupid mistake can pretty much rule you out of SR contention (maybe some people with more knowledge on HSC maths and stuff could confirm this).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Personally I find that it helps if you do mentally do circle geo questions during reading time (after you quickly flick through the paper) and hopefully you would already have a general idea of the proof beforehand so you only have to worry about expressing/writing it down on paper. Otherwise I reckon the tediousness is unavoidable imo
I try to keep reading time to planning out the last question though :/
Because in my exam, the questions will be difficult and I won't be able to flick through it like I did with Baulkam Hills

Not always I dont think. From what I know, once you get to a certain point in 3 unit, it becomes more a game of luck as one stupid mistake can pretty much rule you out of SR contention (maybe some people with more knowledge on HSC maths and stuff could confirm this).
I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)