• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Do you know the easy way to integrate:

I know how to integrate:

easily if that's what you mean :s

You just notice that it is in the form f'(x) cos f(x) so you can integrate it to make sin f(x)

But yeah I can't think of an easy way to do your one

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I know how to integrate:

easily if that's what you mean :s

You just notice that it is in the form f'(x) cos f(x) so you can integrate it to make sin f(x)

But yeah I can't think of an easy way to do your one
Hope this isn't too small.

HSC
I try to keep reading time to planning out the last question though :/
Because in my exam, the questions will be difficult and I won't be able to flick through it like I did with Baulkam Hills
Ah fair enough

only thing I could think of that works

Lieutenant_21

HSC
What should I do to become blitz speed at MX2?
For easy-er type questions I can solve them at an average speed (I think), and from what I've seen and heard, the main problem in MX2 is time management.

So I want to know what I can do to maximise my solving speed in the easy stuff like Complex Numbers, easy Polynomials and Graphs (and easy Conics)
I don't want people to say practise because its boring to just do the same easy questions over and over :(
How long does it take you to do the first 3 questions in MX2 (Old format)?
I find the best way to do tedious conics questions fast is by thinking of a method for solving the question first then start the algibra work because sometimes if you just start doing the algebra then realise something is wrong or it is the wrong method a lot of time is be wasted.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
How long does it take you to do the first 3 questions in MX2 (Old format)?
I find the best way to do tedious conics questions fast is by thinking of a method for solving the question first then start the algibra work because sometimes if you just start doing the algebra then realise something is wrong or it is the wrong method a lot of time is be wasted.
Hmmm I'm not sure about that I haven't really timed myself on it.

And yeah I do something similar for conics, where I will think of how to approach the question before doing the question.

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Hmmm I'm not sure about that I haven't really timed myself on it.

And yeah I do something similar for conics, where I will think of how to approach the question before doing the question.
Do you think they are doable in around 20 mins?
Most people who state rank in mx2 have at least 1 hour for the last 2 questions. So far I get only around 7 questions done in 3 hours lol

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Do you think they are doable in around 20 mins?
Most people who state rank in mx2 have at least 1 hour for the last 2 questions. So far I get only around 7 questions done in 3 hours lol
Wow 20 minutes.....
Yeah I reckon its doable but you would probably have to be damn fast for that

HSC
Not always I dont think. From what I know, once you get to a certain point in 3 unit, it becomes more a game of luck as one stupid mistake can pretty much rule you out of SR contention (maybe some people with more knowledge on HSC maths and stuff could confirm this).
This is certainly the case.

For a very good - top 4U student, 3U comes down to the luck of the draw of the last question and stupid mistakes. Esp with school assessments, it is a dogfight between the top 4U students to minimise (or eliminate .. ) silly mistakes to gain top 3U position.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
In the Physics course, for projectile motion, and possibly other topics, I prefer to use the formulas for the 3U course.

i.e

I can easily derive these, and gives me the power of calculus, they are similar to the ones given on the formula sheet, however they lack for instance, the angle of projection, the initial position of the projectile and so on.
For practise I have been using 3U methods the whole time.

Will I lose marks for doing this?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think general conensus is use 3 unit to check if you want and that more often than not it's easier to just use the formulas given in the sheet.

enoilgam

HSC
I think general conensus is use 3 unit to check if you want and that more often than not it's easier to just use the formulas given in the sheet.
I never did physics, but from what I remember from other courses, stick to the syllabus or what they want you to use. Going off the syllabus in the HSC is not encouraged (which I find stupid, but that's another story).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I'm much more comfortable with the 3U way, and what I do is, I make everything a pronumeral until I find an expression for the final answer

i.e.

And then I plug in the values from there because I only need to use a calculator once, hence saving time.
I find the formulae clunky and not very efficient.

Will I lose marks though?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I never did physics, but from what I remember from other courses, stick to the syllabus or what they want you to use. Going off the syllabus in the HSC is not encouraged (which I find stupid, but that's another story).
:/

What if I convert the formula into my own version.

i.e.

Where g is a positive constant, and direction of force is downwards hence negative

Let V be the velocity of projection, by right angled trigonometry,

Since delta y is change in y

If I do the same for v_y but express as

Am I allowed to do this?

enoilgam

HSC
Am I allowed to do this?
I would ask your teacher or a HSC marker - I'm not too sure. Although, if I had to guess, I would say that they would tell you to stick to what you are given.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Will I lose marks though?
Possibly, especially if you hypothetically make mistakes and/or if marks are awarded for working. I can't remember how marking works for Physics but even if they don't mind you using 3u formulas if you make a mistake you won't be getting partial marks for working. Like Enoil said you should really just stick to the syllabus. They aren't hard formulas and are provided in the exam anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)