Year 8-11 Selective Result Discussion (1 Viewer)

Alpcufd

HSC
I would have suggested sb (first as it gives outcome first so no worry), tech/normo, tech/normo (im not sure when normo gives outcome)
That's a good advice, I think I'll probably apply to 3 of sb, normo,tech and fort

?!?!

HSC
I got a question- im trying out for the selective school for entry into year 11 and was wondering what is the difference between the HAST, EDUTEST and the selective test? They seem similar but how are the question styles different?

iloveeggs

HSC
I got a question- im trying out for the selective school for entry into year 11 and was wondering what is the difference between the HAST, EDUTEST and the selective test? They seem similar but how are the question styles different?
selective is held in yr 6 in nsw and yr 8 in vic (correct me if im wrong) for entry into the next year of high school, so it's a one time thing that a large number of ppl do. vic uses edutest for their selective entry and so do some top selective schools in nsw for yr 8-11 entry (so if you want to get into a selective school after yr 6 selective). hast is the yr 8-11 entry exam that most selectives in sydney use. the difficulty obv changes as you write it in diff years, so if i do edutest or hast in yr 10 compared to yr 8 its not the same exam and it will be harder.

i have sat all three exams (in sydney, idk about vic) and performed competitively and imo edutest is the hardest out of all of them, mainly because of the time pressure. you have about 30-45 sec per question in edutest if you want to be competitive (depending on your strengths and also which section it is). the question types are generally similar but i think edutest is def harder considering how much time you get and there is a reason why top selective schools like ruse use it for 8-11 entry. i dont even know what to say abt selective rn bc im in yr 11 and after doing edutest the selective exam i wrote feels like a breeze but then again i have no clue what the new updates selective test looks like so i wouldnt take my word on that.

hope that helps

?!?!

HSC
oh ok i see yeah the selective is held the year before the high school starts (year 7-year 12) so the test is in year 6.
idk tbh cause i was looking at the selective schools and what test you have to take for them. and i cmae across Baulkham Hills and for entry into year 8-11 u need to take the edutest but the other schools likes fort street and all u have the acer hast. and I im trying to practice for them but i cant really figure out if I should study for the hast differently then the edutest.
I see what ur saying abt the edutest being harder cause of the time pressure but like is that the only main difference between the two? And like on the
what did u use to study for the selective test in year 10? cause like the exam could be a bit similar to if i were to take it in for entry into year 11 im assumin

hi_998

HSC
anyone recommend best selective schools to apply for entry into yr 11 2025? i am desperate to move to sghs but want to expand my choices. also how do i study for edutest? considering it will be hard as i am in yr 10 studying at penriht

iloveeggs

HSC
and i cmae across Baulkham Hills and for entry into year 8-11 u need to take the edutest but the other schools likes fort street and all u have the acer hast. and I im trying to practice for them but i cant really figure out if I should study for the hast differently then the edutest.
uhh if you still have a choice i would not recommend doing both hast and edutest in the same year (not sure if you were planning to). and about how you should study for each test, depends on which ones you are doing.

if you are doing just edutest and are serious about it, purchase the official edutest tests (which you have access to when you enrol through the school) because they are the best kind of practise you can get out there. if you are doing just acer see my reply above about those test banks like notesedu (which by the way are not very reputable bc acer doesnt put out practice tests for higher grades for people too refer to but if youre doing hast it's your best bet). if you are doing both i would say do just edutest practise, because i feel there is overlap and studying for both seperately will be overwhelming and considering you have to keep up your school grades for selective admission i would not suggest both (please consult someone who has done hast more recently tho, like i said im not entirely sure and stupid acer doesnt have practice papers for yr 10).

iloveeggs

HSC
I see what ur saying abt the edutest being harder cause of the time pressure but like is that the only main difference between the two? And like on the
what did u use to study for the selective test in year 10? cause like the exam could be a bit similar to if i were to take it in for entry into year 11 im assumin
to my understanding, yeah that is the main difference, but considering i did edutest at a higher grade level i think its natural that i would find it harder, maybe acer also gets harder but i hear that its easier in comparison.

i actually did edutest in yr 9 for yr 10 entry, sorry abt the confusion. i just used the edutest practice papers and grinded them and also looked up question types that i didnt really get e.g. in numerical reasoning i sucked at matrices so i searched up 'matrix questions numerical reasoning' and a bunch of yt results from other exams like the yr 6 selective or job stuff came up and they provided explanations and strategies - this works for the reasoning and math sections. i did hast in yr 7 and 8 so i cant give concrete advice about that because the only acer prac papers available cater to yr 7 and 8 and also this was kind of a long time ago and things could have changed.

huge disclaimer i was in yr 9 2 years ago so there could have been changes (to my knowledge there aren't) but get other people's advice too. good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)