your opinions on experimenting with drugs.. while on schoolies? (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jennieTalia said:
LOOK at the evidence. Then make up your mind.

I'm seriously not trying to tell anyone what to do in terms of taking drugs, I just worry that people don't realise the possible implications.
oh im not saying they are not for you, lol

im saying its pretty stupid to say how bad drugs are for people then say that 'alcohol is good enough for you'

HSC
tsk tsk tsk........
no drugsesss for meeeee!! ^_^

i was invited to many schoolies outings......
all were too expensive except one... and i couldn't go because it was with my most trusted guy friends!! >_<

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jennieTalia said:
From what statistics?

Are you telling me that if I have a jagerbomb it is worse than having a joint?
Bearing in mind- the effects of alcohol are well known... whereas with weed it is still largely unknown.
Alcohol is responsible for violence, depression, addiction, many fatalities. It does proven physical harm to your body in many ways. It increases your risk of bowel cancer by a lot.

It causes a great deal of social problems.

Don't be naive about the risks associated with alcohol.

inter108

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
tsk tsk tsk........
no drugsesss for meeeee!! ^_^

i was invited to many schoolies outings......
all were too expensive except one... and i couldn't go because it was with my most trusted guy friends!! >_<
LOL not so trusted after all eh?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jennieTalia said:
Means POSSIBILITY. For sure.

Does it matter?

Not everyone who smokes weed will get schizophrenia... but the POSSIBILITY is enough to make me think twice.
Anything really is possible... If you want to live your life in a risk averse way you should avoid all sorts of things.

HSC
i expirmented with drugs, and its not good..

i stopped in yr 9, but i would say no to trying it.

my bestie died from it and i was with her. that was the last time i took them.

so dont.

jennieTalia

HSC
Graney said:
Alcohol is responsible for violence, depression, addiction, many fatalities. It does proven physical harm to your body in many ways. It increases your risk of bowel cancer by a lot.

It causes a great deal of social problems.

Don't be naive about the risks associated with alcohol.
Yes, but we all know those risks.
And we also know that alcohol is not harmful in small 'doses'

As for other drugs... there isn't as much known. Making it possibly far more dangerous.

jennieTalia

HSC
Graney said:
Anything really is possible... If you want to live your life in a risk averse way you should avoid all sorts of things.
Ahahaha I like that point :)
This is an interesting discussion :)

I guess the point is though, that some risks are what I would call... personally acceptable ones.
Others are just unnecessary.

I guess I'm biased because I'm not interested in drugs at all :S

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jennieTalia said:

As for other drugs... there isn't as much known. Making it possibly far more dangerous.
but what is most peoples idea of a 'small dose'? what is yours for that matter.

jennieTalia

HSC
-may-cat- said:
but what is most peoples idea of a 'small dose'? what is yours for that matter.
One standard drink.

That is pretty much nationally (almost globally give or take a few) accepted as an acceptable amount.

Binging on anything generally has major consequences.

kiaria74

HSC
Graney said:
The links between cannabis and psychosis are hell of dubious. There's a correlation, but the nature of the relationship is far from clear.

Occassional casual use is sweet as...

This is the best summary of current research and why reaching a consensus has been impossible:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health3.shtml

OK, let's clear this up from somebody who has experienced it first hand. I have an immediate relative who now suffers psychosis and low severity bipolar disorder as a DIRECT result of their cannabis use.

Granted, every single user won't definately experience problems down the line (of course), but it increases the risk a hell of a lot. Further, any good doctor will tell you that if you smoke pot regularly for more than about ten years, its highly unlikely you WON'T have psychological problems as a result.

Sure, but now you're all saying "What if we only try it once?"
There have been cases where psychosis results from a single joint. Duh, it won't happen to everyone, it isn't a DEFINITE correlation, but point is, it CAN happen, and it has!

When something can mess with your head long term its not worth it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jennieTalia said:
One standard drink.

That is pretty much nationally (almost globally give or take a few) accepted as an acceptable amount.

Binging on anything generally has major consequences.
and do you have one standard drink when you go out? or more?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jennieTalia said:
Very few young people drink at what would medically be considered a safe level. And then you have the issue that a social activities related to drinking i.e. going to the pub, clubs, is putting you at a hugely increased risk of violence.
You shouldn't be advocating alcohol as so much safer than illicit drugs. It's promoting ignorance of the risks involved.

jennieTalia said:
There's been a great many studies done on marijuana, and it's been around for a long time and widely used. It's hardly a completely unknown factor.
There is little doubt there is almost no harm from a reasonable, pure dose of mdma.

Could it be that the risks associated with alcohol are better and easier proven, because there are much greater, clearer harms involved?

jennieTalia said:
Are we all really, accurately aware of the risks? How many people are really aware of the increased risk of bowel cancer? How many really care? Do you really act in a rational way when addressing risk.

A night out on the turps is probablly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.

jennieTalia

HSC
-may-cat- said:
and do you have one standard drink when you go out? or more?
Not eighteen yet

But at parties I have had a bit more, and of course we all get smashed once in a while.

That's not the point though, I know the risk, I feel like taking it. And that's fine.

It's drugs that can cause unknown effects that worry me. I know the worst that can happen from having alcohol, and I drink in safe environments and minimise potential problems. With drugs... it is the not knowing that wigs me out.

wbu?

kiaria74

HSC
Also the very fact that the correlation is "dubious" as you say further reiterates that people shouldn't risk it!

Until it is known that cannabis definately won't cause problems, why jeopardise the quality of the rest of your life for an hour of being baked?

inter108

HSC
kiaria74 said:
Also the very fact that the correlation is "dubious" as you say further reiterates that people shouldn't risk it!

Until it is known that cannabis definately won't cause problems, why jeopardise the quality of the rest of your life for an hour of being baked?
Post count still 0. :jaw:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
kiaria74 said:
OK, let's clear this up from somebody who has experienced it first hand. I have an immediate relative who now suffers psychosis and low severity bipolar disorder as a DIRECT result of their cannabis use.
Impossible to say the illness wouldn't have developed anyway.

kiaria74 said:
Further, any good doctor will tell you that if you smoke pot regularly for more than about ten years, its highly unlikely you WON'T have psychological problems as a result.
That's bullshit. The majority of longterm marijuana smokers don't suffer from a mental illness.

kiaria74 said:
There have been cases where psychosis results from a single joint.
No, that has never happened. Please link us to a scientifically rigorous source that claims that.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jennieTalia said:
Not eighteen yet

But at parties I have had a bit more, and of course we all get smashed once in a while.

That's not the point though, I know the risk, I feel like taking it. And that's fine.

It's drugs that can cause unknown effects that worry me. I know the worst that can happen from having alcohol, and I drink in safe environments and minimise potential problems. With drugs... it is the not knowing that wigs me out.

wbu?

I drink a bit, i take pills and acid, others when they are available, I am doing damage to my body, but it is my body and this is how i have decided to live my life.

It may sound young and ignorant, but its how i feel about my life.

jennieTalia

HSC
Graney said:
Very few young people drink at what would medically be considered a safe level. And then you have the issue that a social activities related to drinking i.e. going to the pub, clubs, is putting you at a hugely increased risk of violence.
You shouldn't be advocating alcohol as so much safer than illicit drugs. It's promoting ignorance of the risks involved.

There's been a great many studies done on marijuana, and it's been around for a long time and widely used. It's hardly a completely unknown factor.
There is little doubt there is almost no harm from a reasonable, pure dose of mdma.

Could it be that the risks associated with alcohol are better and easier proven, because there are much greater, clearer harms involved?

Are we all really, accurately aware of the risks? How many people are really aware of the increased risk of bowel cancer? How many really care? Do you really act in a rational way when addressing risk.

A night out on the turps is probablly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.
Firstly- I wasn't "advocating" alcohol. I was having a laugh in the first place when I said that alcohol was fine. I also said for ME. I didn't say everyone else go out and get sloshed out of their minds etc. I personally know the risks, and that is fine with me. If others don't then they should pay more attention in year 10 PD

I get that alcohol is a big problem... but I'm pretty sure that this board was started to discuss drugs that are a bit 'harder' (or thought so anyway) than alcohol.

Perhaps the risks are more understandable
And perhaps it is because the risks for drugs have not been studied as clearly.
That isn't the point. The point is, that, the dicussion at the moment has been mainly about weed. And weed may have terrible effects no matter how small the amount of it is that you take.
The risks for alcohol are possibly going to be clearer because of practically unrestricted access to it and the ease with which people binge drink.
OF COURSE there are terrible risks associated... but that doesn't detract from the risks associated to weed and so forth.

Rationality should be based on combined thought of:
The risks
Implications
Moment
- So essentially, if I know the factors then I feel like I am far more well-equipped to use, than if (like with weed) I am left out in the open without knowing anything other than the "moment"
We are also exposed to alcohol far more frequently at younger ages, increasing tolerance and such. If this is the first time another substance is in our system, then there is likely to be more of a problem.

Yes, PURE Mdma... but I was making people aware of the risks associated with these drugs. Many aren't going to go up there with a "drug testing kit" and a known dealer. Most people don't even have a clue about that sort of thing. The point is, that E can be mixed with a whole mishmash of other things. That is worrying.

Marijuana has been used for many years certainly, but only with recent technologies and studies have these issues been coming to light. It isn't going to occur with a majority anyway... but does that make it right to take it?

I'd say running under a bus is the riskiest thing you might ever do ;) (debatable)

jennieTalia

HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Yep I'll accept an emotive statement with no corroborative evidence over a scientific paper.

Idiot.
Then why don't you refute it with scientific evidence yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)