06ers (and others I spose): Are you still talking to your school friends? (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

I've kept in contact with some of my friends from school. I usually see them on the weekend. I also have distanced myself from some people from school, while have become closer to others I never really spoke to. I think the one thing that has become obvious since leaving school is that most of my friends really didn't have the same interests. We are all now going off in our seperate ways to our own lives. Sure we still get along, but it has become more evident of how different we all were.

SweetSeasons

HSC
BlackDragon said:
I find it weird how people make amazing friends, friends they love, but then they go their separate ways to achieve their own things. I mean, is there no friendship that can make two people want to spend the rest of their lives with each other? Like the love in a marriage, or more? Or do we just need any friend of a certain quality to fill the void? i.e. Does it really depend on the person? Or are we just 'islands' who need any people to, as i said, fill the void or an emotion position in our minds?

you forget that people grow and change.. every one goes their own paths after uni, finds their own way in life.. it's just what happens and it's meant to happen.. it's got nothing to do with not loving the friends you had in high school.. it';s about loving the friends you have now.. there is no use dwelling on friendships you had in high school when they are all moving on with their lifes.. other wise you get very lonely.

PrincessAshee

HSC
A lot of my friends started to ignore me and stuff about a week before school even ended. Things had been going downhill with a few of them for awhile due to certain incidents and such. I'm still in contact with my two closest friends, one more so than the other, another friend who i was pretty close with is heaps busy these days but I see her every now and then and the others I don't really talk to at all, It's come down to like a smile and a wave if we see each other down the street.

Pace_T

HSC
maby this all has to do with how some ppl were unpopular in their grade n had barely any friends of course they r gona try to find new friends at uni haha
i keep in contact with all my friends from school n they r still my main friends, n i graduated in 2005...
uni friends i just hang out with at uni, they live far away n stuff, i neva hang out with em outside of uni

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I am basically the only one i know going UTS =)
Kinda looking forward to a different path to everyone else (involve in a more non-asian-dominated society and etc. LOL)

ditto.

HSC
Hahahaha beachgrain demonstrates absolutely deplorable form in this thread.

gg buddy

suzieee

HSC
there were only 17 in my yr 12 class, most of whom came to my 18th last night :) theres only one that i dont talk to, and i havent talked to her since the start of last year, so not much has changed since we finished school :)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
ditto. said:
Hahahaha beachgrain demonstrates absolutely deplorable form in this thread.

gg buddy

please tell me that u are not refering to me ?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
deleted out again because i don't need challenging :)

Last edited:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
you sound depressed.. u should get out more

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
haha damn, i'll delete that then, for now at least, i'll save it incase i decide to put it back later. i can tell you though that i am not depressed and i've been home these holidays only to sleep.

i'm used to going out with my long-time group of friends, i still do that, but i've also been out a couple of times a week with people i have known for 2 years max, if not 1 year, if not 1 month or even 1 week and i so am not close to them and that's what has started me thinking whether there is any point in living on no sleep just to go out with them if i won't know them in another year

Last edited:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
there are some people u realise that u were only really friendsa with them n vise versa cos u were forced into the environment with them...i still talk to about 3 of the girls in my 'group' 1 i see nearly everyday cos outside of school we have so much in common

SweetSeasons

HSC
iambored said:
yes i love the friends i have now, but i can't put everything into the friendship if i can only see them as friends for now and not later. what's the point of letting someone listen to your problems if you don't know for sure that they will be there next month? i would get just as lonely because if i can't see the friendship lasting, the 'friends' would be better called acquaintances

what's the point of going out with people socially if, in effect, they are just acquaintances? what's the point of going out as a group if there's nothing 'extra' holding you together? i guess the point is that it's fun to spend time with them and you could get closer to some of them, but there are others where there is no chance of being in contact with later, so, is there any point?

something that has been on my mind these holidays...
point is.. it's something to do with your spare time.. you're not gonna have a deep connection with every one, some friends are just fun friends, some are friends u confide in, some are friends you end up playing lawn bowls with when you're 80, and often after spending over 15 years of your life, in some cases, with the same people, you tend to get to know them so well you get sick of them...

SweetSeasons

HSC
iambored said:
haha damn, i'll delete that then, for now at least, i'll save it incase i decide to put it back later. i can tell you though that i am not depressed and i've been home these holidays only to sleep.

i'm used to going out with my long-time group of friends, i still do that, but i've also been out a couple of times a week with people i have known for 2 years max, if not 1 year, if not 1 month or even 1 week and i so am not close to them and that's what has started me thinking whether there is any point in living on no sleep just to go out with them if i won't know them in another year
cause it's fun, it's not the same thing and who';s to say you wont know them in another year

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i agree, i decided that the point is that i love spending time with them and that's all that matters.

SweetSeasons said:
point is.. it's something to do with your spare time.. you're not gonna have a deep connection with every one, some friends are just fun friends, some are friends u confide in, some are friends you end up playing lawn bowls with when you're 80, and often after spending over 15 years of your life, in some cases, with the same people, you tend to get to know them so well you get sick of them...
thanks for perspective

on topic, yes i still talk to my closest school friends but things have definitely changed (partly because of the types of relationships i have been questioning above, partly because of different timetables and interests) but we are still good friends

Last edited:

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Yes

My friends are all over the place, Canberra, Adelaide, Wollongong, Sydney, England... But we're still very close
Closer than any of my uni friends I would say. We keep in touch via monster emails (god bless the convenience catch up every few weeks or more often, we still meet up in holidays when everyone is around, go on road trips together, trivia nights, hang out... whatever.

I seem to compare all my uni friends to them and just can't be arsed working on getting that close to them when i still have my close friends who ive spent years of my life with. My uni friends are just good time friends, my school friends are ones ill have forever.

Wow, so cheesy it hurts.

And I still see most people from my school more often then i would like. Tend to go out to the same bars/clubs etc... they all hang out in the same groups they did at school. Nothings changed.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
It's mainly MSN talks now, but I don't talk to many, just around...maybe 5? I was a social outcast, even though I speak to some people, but I was never remembered.

...now there's just the occasional greeting online, pretty happy about that, I don't want to have a reunion yet. Must make something of myself first, so I'd be a shadow no more.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Sando do try to be a bit more mature and rational in your posts.

In answer to original harry-potter-fan poster:

The transition from high school to uni i guess really emphasises who you really see and accept as your friends (and vice versa). It's definitely harder to maintain contact if everyone is on schoolies, overseas, suddenly very busy with part-time jobs, have family committments and the like but i guess it [insert something very clee shade to do with you don't miss the water until the well runs dry].

Basically it separates your friends from mere acquaintances, makes you appreciate friendship more and it could even mean you are changing yourself as a person and your ideals because you feel your past friends might not be on the same path as you anymore.

And besides you have the interweb :eek: /sarcasm

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Who's beachgrain?

edit: oh wait sandman i geddit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)