Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
Off topic about illegal immigration, but still on topic about elections.

Why is it that when voting for a third party, people may agree with 90% of that parties policies but when they find one or two things they don't like they immediately write them off! However conversely they may hate 90% of the major parties policy, but agree with one or two things and thus they vote for them.

I sympathise with the frustration minor parties must feel when faced with this.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Off topic about illegal immigration, but still on topic about elections.

Why is it that when voting for a third party, people may agree with 90% of that parties policies but when they find one or two things they don't like they immediately write them off! However conversely they may hate 90% of the major parties policy, but agree with one or two things and thus they vote for them.

I sympathise with the frustration minor parties must feel when faced with this.
Because people don't equally weight issues. Some issues are make or break.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Yes it will. Word travels fast and as soon as they realise they aren't headed for Australia but PNG, far less will come. There is a reason they come to Australia and not PNG in the first place, firstly it's safer and secondly the existence of welfare and financial support. Do you think they'll experiences the same privileges in PNG? no.
The simple announcement of the policy by the Government is enough. The advertisements are overkill. If word travels fast as you say then the people smugglers will know regardless of the government ad in AUSTRALIA (not overseas) about the new PNG policy. These advertisements in Australian newspapers are intended for Australian audiences regardless of what the govenment says.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Anyone else annoyed by how media refers to Gillard becoming Prime Minister as "when Julia Gillard rose into her role as Prime Minister as Kevin resigned" and refers to Rudd coming back in power as "betrayal" "disgusting treatment of first female prime minister" "backstabbing" "sneaky cheeky Rudd" "sexist conspiracy".

OT upcoming election:

I've always been pro liberal but my peeve is with their decision to run copper in the last stretch of the NBN (from the optic network to the household), instead of taking optic fibre the whole way. That's exactly what I've already got and I was looking forward to optic fibre.

Emily Howard

HSC
u noe dat da cables used for NBN r ones dat dont last much longer den 5 years

Emily Howard

HSC
cnt rememba mite be news article or insider knowledge

but yea dey fucked up by not makin sure dere puttin in durable cables

just google it, i dink the exact life expectancy was around 7-8 years in good conditions

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

just google it, i dink the exact life expectancy was around 7-8 years in good conditions
yeah lol i will have to google it, if that's the case it seems like quite a massive oversight lol

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
David Cameron is not getting kicked out anytime soon by Milliband. What gave you that idea?
Hayabusaboston was talking about the Australian federal election. Haya is a Liberal stooge who has conceded that Labor will win the 2013 federal election. Even Joe Hockey has admitted that Libs would lose to celebrity Rudd.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
Hayabusaboston was talking about the Australian federal election. Haya is a Liberal stooge who has conceded that Labor will win the 2013 federal election. Even Joe Hockey has admitted that Libs would lost to celebrity Rudd.
I gotta say it, Julia must have been pretty shitty aye?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah I just googled it and there's nothing that says that. At best some people have said that they have a lifespan of 15 years but most of the literature suggests that in reality they will last significantly longer.

Jimmy2064

HSC
The simple announcement of the policy by the Government is enough. The advertisements are overkill. If word travels fast as you say then the people smugglers will know regardless of the government ad in AUSTRALIA (not overseas) about the new PNG policy. These advertisements in Australian newspapers are intended for Australian audiences regardless of what the govenment says.
Well yes obviously as is every other political campaign. Parties overkill everything and then deliver nothing, that's just what happens with Labor and Liberal.

Jimmy2064

HSC
Hayabusaboston was talking about the Australian federal election. Haya is a Liberal stooge who has conceded that Labor will win the 2013 federal election. Even Joe Hockey has admitted that Libs would lose to celebrity Rudd.
Well not quite, but he did call him "Kevin Kardashian" haha

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
u noe dat da cables used for NBN r ones dat dont last much longer den 5 years
I highly doubt it. Fiber cables last a lot longer than copper (it doesnt rust lel). Apparently fiber lasts anywhere from 40-100 years. thats a VERY VERY long time for tech to last. Fiber does provide a potential of REALLY fast internet if the network switches are good enough . 100mpbs is just our infrastructure limit, you can change the network switches and what not and can hit well over 1gigabit per second (google has done it in kansas). I had fiber when I was overseas and it is the shit.

Emily Howard

HSC
I highly doubt it. Fiber cables last a lot longer than copper (it doesnt rust lel). Apparently fiber lasts anywhere from 40-100 years. thats a VERY VERY long time for tech to last. Fiber does provide a potential of REALLY fast internet if the network switches are good enough . 100mpbs is just our infrastructure limit, you can change the network switches and what not and can hit well over 1gigabit per second (google has done it in kansas). I had fiber when I was overseas and it is the shit.
lol

u noe dem cables hav to be coated in sumthang to protect dem right? i dnt dink it was the fibre that was da problem, more wat dey r housed in, n yes i read it in a news article sumwhere so go forth and google for it

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

u noe dem cables hav to be coated in sumthang to protect dem right? i dnt dink it was the fibre that was da problem, more wat dey r housed in, n yes i read it in a news article sumwhere so go forth and google for it
The article was incorrect then, a simple google reveals that the life span will be anywhere between 25-100 years

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
http://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/pho...nsferred-to-png-under-new-government-policy-4

"A female asylum seeker comes to terms with the fact she won’t be settled in Australia."
I thought that women and children were still allowed through? or is it women with children?

I cant see this plan working for long though. PNG is corrupt and full of crime, how will they contain them? PNG residents wont be happy they are now getting the refo's. Rudd is only doing it to make it look like he has solved the problem, but in the long term it will fail. Then again Abbotts plan is probably no better, if only we had a decent pm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)