2014'ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally2014

HSC
Thank you so much! I though the sig figs were counted from after the decimal point? Do you mind if I ask you another question I'm dying with it even tho it is so easy grr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Thank you so much! I though the sig figs were counted from after the decimal point? Do you mind if I ask you another question I'm dying with it even tho it is so easy grr

Depends if you're doing it for science or maths. Different protocol for both.

Ally2014

HSC
It is for maths if that helps. I feel more confident with 3.3

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Are you sure? I thought it was the same for both (in this case 3.3 is right).
I'm referring to decimals where it is like 0.002 has 4 sigfig in science (I think it's 4 LOL don't do science anymore), but 1 in math. Sorry about the lack of clarity there

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I'm referring to decimals where it is like 0.002 has 4 sigfig in science (I think it's 4 LOL don't do science anymore), but 1 in math. Sorry about the lack of clarity there

I think that it starts from the first non-zero digit.

QZP

HSC

I'm pretty sure they're the same in both cases (math/science). 0.002 = 2 x 10^-3 which clearly is 1 sig fig :p
4 sig fig would be 2.000 x 10^-3 which is (in decimal notation) 0.002000...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I'm pretty sure they're the same in both cases (math/science). 0.002 = 2 x 10^-3 which clearly is 1 sig fig :p
4 sig fig would be 2.000 x 10^-3 which is (in decimal notation) 0.002000...
My teachers told me every zero decimal counted because it measured the degree of accuracy, which is important in science, according the then so idk :/

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
@LoveHateSchool

The 3rd book... Don't even talk to me about it. It was just angry feels when I was reading it >( but the movie for the second is just recommendations/10!! I had really high expectations and it surpassed it!! I think I'm overhyping it rn so I'm just gonna say it's average and let it blow your mind

The only time I've gotten more angry feels reading a book is in the fifth HP Umbridge was so terrible I literally threw the book across the bed at one part :p I definitely have to see it, I would have gone today but I was on call for work, hence could not realy commit to an over 2 hr movie *le sigh* Maybe tomorrow :)

Lol I found out that I came 3rd overall in the grade

So shocking because I think this is my first time receiving a formal award for anything, let alone 4 I'm just collapsing from feelings bc I also watched catching fire and it was like holy shit

At your school! Wowowow. I always knew you were supermegafoxyawesome intelligent, and this just is further evidence :) Congratulations!

:O

Considering your school...
Hahaha similar response to me :)

And with the rounding, always go with USYD chem way of rounding (y)

iStudent

HSC
My teachers told me every zero decimal counted because it measured the degree of accuracy, which is important in science, according the then so idk :/

my chemistry teacher said this too. and she's a hsc marker.
but she said that this is a peculiarity of chemistry and doesn't apply to math/physics (don't quote me on this though since this was ageees ago)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
The only time I've gotten more angry feels reading a book is in the fifth HP Umbridge was so terrible I literally threw the book across the bed at one part :p I definitely have to see it, I would have gone today but I was on call for work, hence could not realy commit to an over 2 hr movie *le sigh* Maybe tomorrow :)

At your school! Wowowow. I always knew you were supermegafoxyawesome intelligent, and this just is further evidence :) Congratulations!

Hahaha similar response to me :)

And with the rounding, always go with USYD chem way of rounding (y)
oh God don't talk to me Umbridge. I hated her so much I just wanted to rip her head off the entire book...she was a monster. It's about 3 hours, with 0.5 to ads :p When are you going?! It's amazing ahhhhhhh still can't get over it slightly haha

and shucks friend :p :hug2:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
my chemistry teacher said this too. and she's a hsc marker.
but she said that this is a peculiarity of chemistry and doesn't apply to math/physics (don't quote me on this though since this was ageees ago)
Learnt this from doing prelim phys so I think it also applies to phys :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
oh God don't talk to me Umbridge. I hated her so much I just wanted to rip her head off the entire book...she was a monster. It's about 3 hours, with 0.5 to ads :p When are you going?! It's amazing ahhhhhhh still can't get over it slightly haha

and shucks friend :p :hug2:
I know, she was just the worst I can't even. I don't even like many sports in RL, but I got full on rage-y when she messed with the Quidditch team!!!

When I fit it in around work and con a friend to come-though really, I'm a strong independent woman so I really shouldn't need to drag a friend along lol :p I will definitely see it soon!

Ally2014

HSC
Don't even know how to ask this without sounding incredibly stupid and annoying but I desperately need help with some of my general maths work.

It's not incredibly difficult it's just that I've tried so many times and can't get it right that I'm confusing myself. I just need a fresh pair of eyes to look at it.

Anyone with kik/ iMessage or even pm that could help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED and I'd be happy to help you with anything else that I could in the future!

Let me know, thanks!!
Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)