2020-HSC chat (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
Hi everyone. This is a little bit out of discussion but I am currently in the process of choosing subjects for my HSC. I have decided on what I want to choose but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on subjects I should change or ones I should pick up.
what did you choose? in the end it's up to you- everyone has their own interests and trust me if you work hard in subjects you like you can get a great atar, regardless of what those subjects are.

Pametan

HSC
what did you choose? in the end it's up to you- everyone has their own interests and trust me if you work hard in subjects you like you can get a great atar, regardless of what those subjects are.
Thanks. I have currently decided upon:

English Advanced
Maths Extension
Maths Advanced Ext
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Modern History

Pametan

HSC
My principal and my deputy talked to me and said that I should drop business studies and take religion. I thought about it and considered it I take religion in year 11 and then drop it in year 12 for History Ext. Any thoughts? My science teacher also recommended to me that I take physics because I am good at it but personally I enjoy the humanity subjects the most.

jojosiwa123

HSC
My principal and my deputy talked to me and said that I should drop business studies and take religion. I thought about it and considered it I take religion in year 11 and then drop it in year 12 for History Ext. Any thoughts? My science teacher also recommended to me that I take physics because I am good at it but personally I enjoy the humanity subjects the most.
if you like humanities, stick with those- play to your strengths. physics scales better than most other subjects but scaling DOES NOT matter if you're gonna get 50%. it won't turn a 50% into a band 6. instead it's better for you to do as well as you can in the subjects you chose- I've seen people get 97-99 atars w only humanities subjects cus they chose what they're good at. keep in mind though- all the subjects you chose are pretty content heavy and there's a lot of essay writing. this isn't really a problem for me personally but I know a lot of people take issue w the note writing and memorisation- I feel like this applies to every subject either way though haha.
I'm not sure why your teachers are trying to influence your decision- ultimately it's up to you and you can also discuss w your parents if you're stressed or confused. I can't personally speak for business or religion because I haven't done either- I think business may have some overlap w economics though.
btw if you like humanities have you considered picking up english extension 1? I don't recommend 14 units but you could always drop it.

Pametan

HSC
if you like humanities, stick with those- play to your strengths. physics scales better than most other subjects but scaling DOES NOT matter if you're gonna get 50%. it won't turn a 50% into a band 6. instead it's better for you to do as well as you can in the subjects you chose- I've seen people get 97-99 atars w only humanities subjects cus they chose what they're good at. keep in mind though- all the subjects you chose are pretty content heavy and there's a lot of essay writing. this isn't really a problem for me personally but I know a lot of people take issue w the note writing and memorisation- I feel like this applies to every subject either way though haha.
I'm not sure why your teachers are trying to influence your decision- ultimately it's up to you and you can also discuss w your parents if you're stressed or confused. I can't personally speak for business or religion because I haven't done either- I think business may have some overlap w economics though.
btw if you like humanities have you considered picking up english extension 1? I don't recommend 14 units but you could always drop it.
The head of english said I shouldn't do english ext because I would get bored and I partially agree. By doing english ext that make me do 14 units and I think that's to much. My principals said I should drop business studies because as you said it overlaps a lot with economics and it would just be to much commerce but I like commerce a lot and I think all of these subjects would intertwine well.

jojosiwa123

HSC
The head of english said I shouldn't do english ext because I would get bored and I partially agree. By doing english ext that make me do 14 units and I think that's to much. My principals said I should drop business studies because as you said it overlaps a lot with economics and it would just be to much commerce but I like commerce a lot and I think all of these subjects would intertwine well.
yeah 14 units is a lot. personally what I did was I picked up maths and english ext 1 both for a few weeks of year 11 to see which one suited me, then I dropped maths ext. and you could always drop business after a few weeks and pick up religion (I'm not sure if the rules surrounding picking up/dropping subjects have changed since then) if you found it too similar to eco. I'm sure what you picked is the right choice for you!! best of luck w your studies, don't stress about this too much, just try your hardest in whatever subjects you end up with. good luck w your studies :) :)

Pametan

HSC
yeah 14 units is a lot. personally what I did was I picked up maths and english ext 1 both for a few weeks of year 11 to see which one suited me, then I dropped maths ext. and you could always drop business after a few weeks and pick up religion (I'm not sure if the rules surrounding picking up/dropping subjects have changed since then) if you found it too similar to eco. I'm sure what you picked is the right choice for you!! best of luck w your studies, don't stress about this too much, just try your hardest in whatever subjects you end up with. good luck w your studies :) :)
Thanks I think that is a good idea. I should test out both english ext to see if I like the subject. In terms of religion though I don't really want to choose the subject and it's more my principal advising me because they say that all the best performing students take 11-12 units but I think I should go with what I feel is right.

jojosiwa123

HSC
Thanks I think that is a good idea. I should test out both english ext to see if I like the subject. In terms of religion though I don't really want to choose the subject and it's more my principal advising me because they say that all the best performing students take 11-12 units but I think I should go with what I feel is right.
btw if you're going to try out both- the workload might be a lot. I only kept both for about 5 weeks of yr 11. if you end up dropping maths ext 1 you'll have a bit of catching up to do for advanced maths- don't get discouraged if your scores drop a bit for the first term or so- it happens to a lot of people!!

shashysha

HSC
how you guys feeling a few weeks before the hsc? tbh i need to start working agian but then again i wanna celebrate graduation and the last week of schoo lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)