A Day In The Life of a Law Student (2 Viewers)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
My property essay is due tomorrow at 4 too :D..been procrastinating so much it looks pretty shit but o well...

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It depends on the subject. Topics like equity/trusts, tax law etc are supposedly extremely hard. Personally, I reakon word based courses can be the hardest, due to the subjective nature of the marking (with most written essays, your capped in terms of how much you can get as well).
Yeah but it's not like you're creating something or speaking in a new language. It's just fairly basic concepts to grasp and if not, it's just a myriad of intersecting concepts. It probably is really fucking difficult in an exam situation for latter year courses because apparently some very bright law students take hours, even days, understanding concepts involved in some of their courses.

Idk I think I'd enjoy Law, it seems like my sort of party

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Is law really this mundane or are you guys just venting your frustration?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I'm still thinking about whether I want to try and transfer into law (transferring in is 100x harder than I imagined). Just need to workout how motivated I am do actually do it.

enoilgam

HSC
No, believe me law is horribly boring. The majority of people do it for money+prestige, without those two things, most law students wouldnt go near the degree.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Spent entire day and yesterday at home (such a sunny day, so sad I was stuck inside) studying for exams next week. Equity has decided to be really annoying and make the exam closed book - not even a case list :( I'm so not used to closed book exams anymore. That, and I'm just behind on notes/readings. Clerkship stuff has taken up so much time.
Are you going to Ban Ki Moon lecture? :)

idk Law sounds really easy as do most other word based degrees

I got a Distinction with 2 hours effort (over the whole semester) on a Law course last semester so idk guys

Also not sure if OP means 2000 words is actually large
Each to their own.

Yeah 2000 is quite large for a first (JD) year -law- assignment. They tend to be a lot more finicky than Arts assignments, in my opinion. And it's the first law research essay - we normally have problem questions.

Yeah but it's not like you're creating something or speaking in a new language. It's just fairly basic concepts to grasp and if not, it's just a myriad of intersecting concepts. It probably is really fucking difficult in an exam situation for latter year courses because apparently some very bright law students take hours, even days, understanding concepts involved in some of their courses.

Idk I think I'd enjoy Law, it seems like my sort of party
Yeah, go for it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! It's quite interesting [when you cut out the stress].

they be havin' a whinge
What lolsmith said. And finding further procrastination methods.

izzy88

HSC
idk Law sounds really easy as do most other word based degrees

I got a Distinction with 2 hours effort (over the whole semester) on a Law course last semester so idk guys

Also not sure if OP means 2000 words is actually large
Actually generally the most difficult thing with law essays is keeping it to the work limit - lecturers want students to be concise, so you can spend hours cutting down an assignment to 1,500 words etc

as for you finding law easy - I can assure you many students don't find it easy. Nor are word based subjects easier - as someone said, they are a lot more subjective in marking.

Plus, in the end bellcurving is always going to make it difficult - law students are generally (stereotyping here) very hard working (well at least they were to get 99.x in the HSC)- and only 40% of those can get D's and HD's - if you want those marks you have to be better than at least 40% of the cohort.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Plus, in the end bellcurving is always going to make it difficult - law students are generally (stereotyping here) very hard working (well at least they were to get 99.x in the HSC)- and only 40% of those can get D's and HD's - if you want those marks you have to be better than at least 40% of the cohort.
And it's generally not 40%. Like, from the numbers released in the units I've been doing so far, it's more like 20-25% that get Ds and HDs.

izzy88

HSC
And it's generally not 40%. Like, from the numbers released in the units I've been doing so far, it's more like 20-25% that get Ds and HDs.
good point. 40% is just a max - there is no minimum.

oh well. another day studying today. :) at least with law you get quite a few reading weeks to catch up on work.

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
i wanna get into law @ unsw eventually

not very good at public speaking though, would that be a major problem?

jnney

lemon
HSC
introvert, extrovert, it doesn't matter
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm thinking about Law as a back up IF and only if if if if if if if maybe I don't get into medicine. Is there really nothing interesting in law? Im sure there are people who absolutely love the course, right? is it competitive?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm thinking about Law as a back up IF and only if if if if if if if maybe I don't get into medicine. Is there really nothing interesting in law? Im sure there are people who absolutely love the course, right? is it competitive?
99.65/.70 is pretty competitive looool

Existential

HSC
N/A
2000 words is nothing. its about the same ive done in the HSC.

enoilgam

HSC
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Like I told omnipotence, if your really passionate about medicine and you dont make it in, then law really isnt the course for you. Some people have a passion for law, but the vast majority do it for the money+prestige. The law is very boring, dont think its like boston legal or the good wife etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)