Accounting Cadetships 2009 (1 Viewer)

Protein

HSC
Isn't that sort of contradicting all the things you said about experience and cadetships? :\
Too many inputs from friends & family. Am still 17, still have plenty of energy to do well @ Uni with high profile subject/s. However is it worth to spend extra 2 years studying?

Protein

HSC
congrats protein =)

wat service line did u go for assurance or tax for pwc.. i hav my interview with pwc on monday....am shit scared =s

Am in Assurance. You must be in tax, right? Just relax and be yourself. Good luck then.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
In terms of picking uni, you shouldn't just base it solely on whether its convenient for work. If you are in assurance, chances are you won't be in the office very often, instead, you'll be out at client sites in various suburbs, so in terms of UTS or UNSW being more convenient, there isn't much of a difference. You should pick your uni based on how you feel about it, whether you think you will like it etc

Mkj

HSC
Am in Assurance. You must be in tax, right? Just relax and be yourself. Good luck then.

thanks.. yea i applied for tax...shuld be alrite...im just scared wat the activities might b =S but yea congrats agen =)

ameher

HSC
In terms of picking uni, you shouldn't just base it solely on whether its convenient for work. If you are in assurance, chances are you won't be in the office very often, instead, you'll be out at client sites in various suburbs, so in terms of UTS or UNSW being more convenient, there isn't much of a difference. You should pick your uni based on how you feel about it, whether you think you will like it etc
Yeah agreed ultimately comes down to how you feel about the university, i personally chose macquarie over both uts and unsw as i wanted to also study law and enjoyed the macquarie campus more so then the others.

But yer if anyone has any questions on macquarie's commerce course and how it accomodates cadets pm and will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:

aceofspades1

HSC
has anyone heard from Hall Chadwick?
i had an interview with them. i was pretty surprised at the swift response as i thought they were going to conduct the interviews in september.

btw, does anyone know which accounting firms are still going in regards to cadetship?

vanillacream

HSC
are we supposed to bring a resume and/or cover letter to interviews? i have one with KPMG on monday.

Mkj

HSC
hey ameher are you working at the parra firm or city firm for CIB??
i got an interview for the parra firm, any advice for the interview??

HSC
Hey guys dont make the same mistake i did

i chose to go to UNSW when i lived so far away from just...just because it was supposed to be the best.

It probably is the best but im telling you now it aint worth it. Just imagine...u have a client all the way at bloody Blacktown...then having to rush all the way down to a lecture at Kensington, then at 9 pm catch the train home which will take 1.5 hours.

Either a) choose a uni close to home
or b) choose a uni close to work (UTS)

why the hell did i choose unsw...i got greedy and wanted to be the best

fuck the best

HSC
EY is a bus ride away. It really depends where you live...if u dont live close to any unis, then just go to UTS

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I live about 40-60mins away from the city. If I'm doing a 34hour week, would it be advisable to go UNSW or UTS?

Are tutorials on at night?
I've heard from my friends that UTS is better. Mainly because you've already secured a position and the university won't make that much of a difference. Of course, that's just what I've heard. I'm no expert on accounting, nor have I done a degree at university - so I can't be sure.

My friend just recently resigned from PWC because he said it was such an inconvenience having to study at UNSW.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I got two offers up my sleeve.

If EY is close to UNSW, it wouldn't matter if I end up at UNSW in terms of travelling and stuff?

What about Macquarie Uni then? I might get a scholarship up there for academic because my school has some connection there. Then it would be great if I end up there...but is travelling issue really important?

edit: ah screw this. I really want to either go to macquarie or unsw. =(
if all this travelling thing is gonna mess up my life...considering comm + internship might be best.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Macq will be quite troublesome to get to...

btw, congrats namu! Which two firms?
ey and pwc

I initially decided against cadetship after long thoughts (immediately afteri got calls for interview) but then my parents thought that it would be a good opportunity so i tried again.

but i really want to get to macquarie or unsw.

Frist reason is the social network, 2nd reason is the prestige of the school. I am not too sure now after all this talk from people that travelling > prestige of school.

Oh well, I will keep thinking until I get the best option for my future career. >.<

HSC
I live about 40-60mins away from the city. If I'm doing a 34hour week, would it be advisable to go UNSW or UTS?

Are tutorials on at night?
yes there are tutorials on at night.

Some people choose to do their uni at night...then use their "uni leave" to have a day (or half a day depending how much uni leave you get) off work and relax. But some would rather have their nights free and get all their uni done in one day. And some people, depending on what subjects they choose will end up doing a combination of both. Like i said...if u live 5 mins from UNSW then go there...if u live 5 mins from macq...then go there.

For example...

Lets say you live near macq uni (10 min drive). If work lets you have a full day off for uni...and u are able to fit ur subjects into one day, would u rather travel 10 minutes to macq or 90 minutes to UNSW?

Sorry if im being confusing, just trying to give a realistic example

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Congratulations! Now you and your mum can go to work together - haha jokes XD

I think you should go UNSW over MACQ, a cadetship can be very tiring and I don't think you'd want to go to a uni so far away after working :(
lollll i don't even know where and when my mum is working at pwc.... -.-

about macquarie uni, ye that's the thing. I have no idea about travelling and how physically strenuous this will be.

I agree about unsw > macquarie in that regards because I would love unsw more than macquarie because that's where i would fit in better (from my own limited perspective). I might consider co-op then...unsw co-op will be excellent =)

btw yvonne where did you getin>

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yes there are tutorials on at night.

Some people choose to do their uni at night...then use their "uni leave" to have a day (or half a day depending how much uni leave you get) off work and relax. But some would rather have their nights free and get all their uni done in one day. And some people, depending on what subjects they choose will end up doing a combination of both. Like i said...if u live 5 mins from UNSW then go there...if u live 5 mins from macq...then go there.

For example...

Lets say you live near macq uni (10 min drive). If work lets you have a full day off for uni...and u are able to fit ur subjects into one day, would u rather travel 10 minutes to macq or 90 minutes to UNSW?

Sorry if im being confusing, just trying to give a realistic example
OHHHH so

as long as you choose uni that is either close to your house or work....it's fine?

because macquarie is pretty close to me....

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
haha only joking Namz :)

You'll probably be able to handle it, then after a while you'll die out. Well, there's only one thing I know about Macq - all the rich kids go there. As with UNSW, well 'you never see whites'.

Ah yup, I got in Moore Stephens Sydney.
ahha great.

Have you accepted it?

I think I will tell my firms about co-op. I heard somewhere that you can negotiate with your companies about the date of full acceptance...as long as you are pursuiing co-op. man, I would take co-op anyday for cadetship as it will be the most conveninet for me.

besides coop is like same as cadetship anyyway...just less work

HSC
ey and pwc

Frist reason is the social network, 2nd reason is the prestige of the school. I am not too sure now after all this talk from people that travelling > prestige of school.

Oh well, I will keep thinking until I get the best option for my future career. >.<
Ah geez this really reminds me of me last year haha.

Well the most important thing i think you should know is that with a cadetship, u have a job. When someone looks on your resume, they will look at your work experiences and ur achievements at a variety of levels. I personally believe that employers value such work experience much more than which university you go to. Had I NOT gotten a cadetship...and thus NOT gotten a job...it would probably be smarter for me to go to a uni with higher recognition.

So yeah...prestige is important, but with a job under your belt, u can afford to loosen up in choosing what uni u go to.

Ultimately, Macq, Sydney, UNSW, UTS and even UWS are all good enough unis to get you jobs, provided u work hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)