Acst 2004? (1 Viewer)

bong

HSC
ok, i got 98.35, and kinda worried about not making actuary/applied finance... if req'd uai goes up another 0.55 from the 98.05

pretty sure i'll make the single acdst deg, but to transfer to the double deg, i'll need "at least 12 credit points with an overall gpa of 2.25"

can someone explain to me what this requires?

thanks in advance

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, Actuarial and Actuarial plus App Fin both have exactly the same first year subjects. So if start with just Actuarial, you won't be behind at the end of the first year.

Now a GPA of 2.25 is easy!
A Pass gets you 2 points, Credit 3 points, and Distinction or HD gives you 4 points. If you don't get 2.25, you won't get your exemption for Accounting and probably don't deserve to do Actuarial. But if you work, even just cram, a GPA of 2.25 is easy, in fact a piece of cake. All Moderators here, after one year of Actuarial Studies all have a GPA of above 2.25 and by quite some margin.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Your welcome. :)

I don't think the UAIs for the double degree (App Fin) will rise that much. Tho I was a little shocked because they rose (a fair bit) from the year before mine.

Either way, you people (startin' 2004) have it tougher than us. I'll explain, if you do decide to do ACST. :D

bong

HSC
im pretty set on doing acst, u gona b at open day? i'll come bug u :D

they changing how the part 1 exemptions are gona be examined rite? ... there'll be 8 instead of the old 9... couple diff exmption subjects...

??

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes, they are changing it, and it's for your year. I have a PDF (I think) about it. I might post it later.

Although that isn't the thing which is harder for you lot. :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
(This is also in a summary I've sort of finished writing for a yearbook.)

You people will need to achieve a Credit in STAT171 to be allowed into ACST211. Whereas, in previous years a Pass was enough. (Although havin' said that a Credit is quite easy, if you work.)

Of course, you need a Pass in ACST151, as well.

===
Also, with rising UAIs the candidature is gettin' better. More competition. Lower marks, even if you try. :p

Last edited:

bong

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
a Credit is quite easy, if you work.
man, i saw your marks on the other thread... might be easy for you haha, i'll make my mind up on that once i start doin the subs

so by "harder" u mean that they're raising the prerequsite grade in stat171 for doin acst211 in 2nd sem... not changing courses arnd and so on.. damn...

speaking of prerequisites, what are the others for 1st yr, if any?

if u could post that pdf up on the new basis, or if there's a link i could go to..?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
We had 5 subjects in Semester II, that is - well overloaded. And two of the subjects were ACST211 and MATH133, which take time. Had I had one less subject, my marks would've been better.

Anyway, first isn't hard. Second year's the killer!

Yes, just raising prereq, not changing the content.

There are no prereqs besides, Passes in everything. However for Part I exemption you need Credits in your Accounting subjects (they use to be, well for us, ACCG100 and ACCG101). And Credits in ECON111.

ACST211 requires STAT171 (Cr) and ACST151 (P).

The pdf isn't available. I found it in my WebCT, which is only available to those enrolled in Actuarial. I'll go have a look.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It seems the information is unavailable now, and I don't seem to have saved it. Ah well. You'll know about it next year.

The main changes were:
* Accounting subjects: ACCG105 and ACCG253, as opposed to ACCG100 and ACCG101; you still need a Cr average in them
* Change of unit names; and I suppose content for later years (second and third year)

bong

HSC
i would've thought so, but for exemption purposes... ?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure. You'll need it nevertheless. It doesn't matter. It's far far away. Unlike for poor ol' me. It's like 7 months away. :p

bong

HSC
acst255 (contingent payments 1) ..?

as if u guys wont ace it :D

bong

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
LOL! Ace as in Pass, or Conceded Pass? :p
whichever suits u... :D

*modesty* haha,

alrite, thx guys, spose i'll know the rest soon enough anyway, cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)