Acst 2004? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes, soon enough. :p

As a side note, I predict at least 20% of your peers would not chose Actuarial Studies if given the chance again, at the end of the year.

bong

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
As a side note, I predict at least 20% of your peers would not chose Actuarial Studies if given the chance again, at the end of the year.
yea i've heard, not a brilliant survival rate...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Oh, that's not about whether people who get through or not. Because you'd expect about 1/3 to survive to possibly the end.

I just mean, whether you survive first year or not, you'd probably get about 20% who just wouldn't chose this path if given the chance. I'm one of them. But having said that, I've gotten through all the boring subjects, so I might as well get to the end. It's just too much work, for too little (present) reward.

bong

HSC
your complaints over accounting? :p

1/3 possibly to survive.. man, my frenz wave that figure in front of me a lot

i spose its reputation for a exhaustive killer course is well earned...

would that be the same for most courses though (the 20%)? pplz find that the course they're doing just aint suited to them?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure, but in Actuarial Studies, most will struggle to get through second year. Many people will find what they've enrolled in isn't for them, and it usually taken like 5 weeks for them to find out. A really good friend of mine did just that, about 5 weeks, then quit. So in a way, he's lost a year because he only studied part time last sem. and then really starting this coming year.

I have no complaints about Accounting. I've got my exemption for that, and I'm never going near the dull, dull subject again. :D

bong

HSC
lol, im thinkin "o shit, o shit", pretty scary thought, wastin more or less a yr, possibly more...

u mean no complaints about it... *anymore*?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
No complaints *anymore*. Things will only get better (or much much worse) to be honest. :D

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
can you transfer into actuarial studies after, cos i didn't get the UAI i wanted , what course would you suggest?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Any Commerce course would be fine; App Fin? Because you can do all the non-Actuarial units in first year, so you can get some units out of the way.

Yes, you can transfer. I'd say after 1 year of full time study plus a Credit average.

However, if you didn't achieve a UAI which will let you in via UAC, I'd not recommend you attempt to do Actuarial, purely on the basis that most of your competitors will have a UAI of 98+; and considering only 1/3 survive to the end (of third year? or fourth?); I wouldn't fancy your chances to be honest.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah i was thinking that to thanks anyway, oh btw do you think the commerce courses cut offs will go higher this year?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
yes choco. they will most likely go up.

My advice is same as flyn's. ie. don't pursue actuarial studies if you can't get the uai.

bong

HSC
how many places are they offering?

i think i read in SMH that 900 places or so at MQ were at risk?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The cutting of places only affects those in the year after you. (Lucky bastards! :p)

There should be about 150-190 places, depending on how much they over-enrol. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by choco
...oh btw do you think the commerce courses cut offs will go higher this year?
In short, yes (over most Unis btw, so not just MQ).

bong

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
The cutting of places only affects those in the year after you. (Lucky bastards! :p)

There should be about 150-190 places, depending on how much they over-enrol. :)
lucky us.. :D

is that for the single degree?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The quota of 150-190 includes everyone who does Actuarial, ie. single and double.

bong

HSC
lol, dat would make more sense, i was thinkin "that's a helluva lot of pplz if its per deg" after i posted

oops!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
And from the number you'd expect about 50-60 to survive. :p

bong

HSC
lol, u know, u REALLY didnt need to bring that up again :mad:

speaking of survival, when do the majority of ppl drop out? 1st yr? 2nd yr?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Not that many people drop our of Acst by the end of first year. As a rough estimate it would be about 10-15%.

As for second year, people often repeat subjects (for a couple of year before dropping out) or they make it. I could only guess and say 20-30% will drop in second year. However, if they try again and fail to make progress, they'll leave in their third year (when they were studying second year material).

I'll be able to give you more statistics by the end of next year. And hopefully, I won't be part of the casualities. :p

----------

Anyway, I'll keep telling myself, next year, that second year is the make or break year... so it's all or nothing; no holding back!

And then, in third year, I'll keep telling myself, it's the home straight, etc.

And fourth year, I'll tell myself, it's Control Cycle; go for broke.

Essentially, no letting down from now on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)