Acst 2004? (1 Viewer)

bong

HSC
wait.. say u fail one subject, or dont make a req'd grade in say, 1st yr, what happens in 2nd year? feel free to put examples with differernt yrs..

u still do 2nd yr courses rite, and jus repeat that one subject? unless there's a pre-req..

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
A few examples:

1. If you receive anything below Cr (ie. Pass, Conceded Pass, Fail) in STAT171 in your first semester, you will not be allowed to do ACST211 in your second semester. And you need 211 to do 243 the next year; so if you can't do 211 in first year; you'll need to repeat it and Pass it before proceeding. Yes, you will be able to do *some* second year subjects provided you Pass everything else (slight note - you'll need a minimum of Cr in ACST101). I should note - I haven't mentioned anything about exemptions. Even if you Pass some of your units, you might choose to repeat them for exemption purposes.

2. Consider you achieve below Pass in MATH133 in semester two; then you will not be permitted to do STAT272 or ACST200 the following semester, which means your back a year; because you won't be allowed to do most of your core units. Unless, of course, you do MATH136 in Summer School.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
the annoying thing is that some less popular units are only taught once a year, so if you have to redo it, you have to wait a whole year.

An eg. of someone pretty stuffed:

Sem1 - Scrapes through everything and fails stat171 so cant do acst211 next sem. Didn't get Cr in accg100, so needs to redo. GPA less than 2 (this will haunt them later).

Sem2 - Does accg105 (equivalent in exemption purposes to accg100). Flies overseas for holiday (assuming this person is an international student). Fails accg105, fails math133, fails accg101. Decides to shorten holiday, by flying back for summer course.

Now let's assume this person comes back and gets through everything, then acst211 will come and most likely rape him/her for another year. And even if that person gets through 211, his or her gpa is less than 2 and she needs a 2.5 to do some of her other subjects.

Gpa is too low to transfer to any other course except maybe arts. Wasted 2 years of time and money.

That's probably the worse case scenario..and I can tell you I can see it happen to some people...=/

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Of course, most will just shrug and say that it won't happen to them. :p

bong

HSC
ouch.. i suppose the prospect of that happening alone would motivate ppl to work their ass off :p,

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
Gpa is too low to transfer to any other course except maybe arts. Wasted 2 years of time and money.
that also applies for transfer to another university doesnt it? eg: unsw/usyd

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bong
ouch.. i suppose the prospect of that happening alone would motivate ppl to work their ass off :p,
You'd be surprised. Very surprised. It's because of people who don't work hard, which makes my marks still half decent. :D Thank goodness for them! :p But they'll be gone soon. ;)
Originally posted by bong
that also applies for transfer to another university doesnt it? eg: unsw/usyd
Since they take into account your GPA and UAI, I doubt you'll be able to transfer to anything as decent as with your UAI alone.

bong

HSC
meh.. ignorance..

say for external transfer to unsw/usyd commerce, any guesses on the req'd gpa?

hope i dont turn out to b CPA... cant pass actuarial... :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, you'd want to at least maintain a Cr average, I'd say, as a minimum.

bong

HSC
hehe, and if you're getting credits or above across the board, y would u consider transfers unless u absolutely hate it to pieces... LOL

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Let's just say, you can easily raise your GPA by doing non-Actuarial subjects; but then you'd finish your degree at MQ :p

bong

HSC
been fiddling around with the timetable maker 2004..

4 one-hour lectures in a row?? in both semesters??? man....

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
that's good man
if you have breaks in the middle, you end up wasting it anyway

after 1 yr's experience, i prefer to go in, get it done with and leave

bong

HSC
hmm... probably, but 4hrs in a row seems really hectic, concentration would be shot to pieces wouldnt it?

wats a good plan for timetabling? lectures u dont have a choice.. but what about tutorials and practicals?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
actually ur concentration will go out the door after 20minutes

my advice to to squeeze everything together. But here's the BEST advice ur gonna get:

For math133, your class tests are held in ur tute, so choose the latest time possible.
Most other class tests are held in lecture hall, so with things like acst101 and econ111, try to pick the later lecture time. (This doesn't mean u enrol in night course).

And it may be wiser to do acst101 in sem1, because it help acst151. Also gives you more time to focus on harder things in sem2.

ND

HSC
Practicals? Actuarials is the last course i'd have thought would require pracs. (or is it only comp?)

ND

HSC
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-

And it may be wiser to do acst101 in sem1, because it help acst151. Also gives you more time to focus on harder things in sem2.
Are you allowed to do that? I remember reading in that year book thing you sent me the guy said he wishes he could have done that.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
it's only in comp
u goto a computer lab and do weekly exercises which are online
they stop marking the role after a few weeks and most ppl juz go home and do it...if they do it...since they never get marked

but prac teachers are at labs to help if u are stuck

Comp has assignments due once in a while, which will require you to goto ur prac class to be marked.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
He mustve meant he wish he did that. I wish i did that too. I think everyone wishes they did that.

I had alot of 2nd yrs and 3rd yr friends tell me at the start of year, but I didn't listen. And now I regret it. Alot of later things learnt in 151 wouldve been made easy with techniques learnt in acst101 (ie. annuities). But if you don't listen, I understand. Because I thought I'd be able to manage time better by sem2 and sem1 would be a learning experience etc.

bong

HSC
Originally posted by ND
Practicals? Actuarials is the last course i'd have thought would require pracs. (or is it only comp?)
yea only comp, sorry

malachite, u mean do acst101 and 151 both in first sem?

am i correct in thinkin that class tests are the same for eg: acst101 and econ111 - those with multiple lecture times?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)