Advice for new Year 12's (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyp0pr1d3

HSC
Do u guyz have any study tips or advice on how I can get

High Band 5\6 in English Standard, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1.

I wanna get 95+ UAI

dp624

HSC
95+ UAI isn't hard. Pretty much a band6 all round, which is, ~85 raw/100?
Study tips - write notes. then do past papers. a LOT.
try to accelerate your learning a bit earlier so all the teachers do is consolidate your learning.

runnable

HSC
Time management and hard work. Start your notes early. Get into the hang on HSC quickly. Do each assessment to your fullest.

dp624

HSC
Umm, PLAY the system. USE SCALING to your benefit. RECOGNIZE subjects which are moderated well. Balance the RISKs etc

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Umm, PLAY the system. USE SCALING to your benefit. RECOGNIZE subjects which are moderated well. Balance the RISKs etc
You've said this a few times, but what do you mean? Aside from selecting well-scaled subjects (which all new year 12's have already done), what else do you do?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bell531 said:
You've said this a few times, but what do you mean? Aside from selecting well-scaled subjects (which all new year 12's have already done), what else do you do?
"Plan the system" as in "plan the right study method", I believe.

Last edited:
HSC
1. write many practice essays for english.

2. do both concise and detailed summaries for the sciences. do these as you first learn about the topics.

one that you can look over quickly(perhaps something you read regularly to keep it in your memory), and one that is indepth(to revise when studying before exams).

3. lots of maths exercises/past papers.

dp624

HSC
bell531 said:
Look at the scaled marks rather than the aligned marks. Study how each extra raw % in each of your subjects will result in higher scaling. Try to see what the best ratio of scaled-marks-to-effort is. I'd say try getting to the level where they scale evenly. this is abut ~95 for most subjects. once you're at 95, try to maintain it. you don't really need to go past 95, diminishing retursn
4u maths - don't try TOO hard, it has awesome aligning and scaling. And STUDY ENGLISH. You NEED to do well in english.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Look at the scaled marks rather than the aligned marks. Study how each extra raw % in each of your subjects will result in higher scaling. Try to see what the best ratio of scaled-marks-to-effort is. I'd say try getting to the level where they scale evenly. this is abut ~95 for most subjects. once you're at 95, try to maintain it. you don't really need to go past 95, diminishing retursn
4u maths - don't try TOO hard, it has awesome aligning and scaling. And STUDY ENGLISH. You NEED to do well in english.
So you mean, study the data tables released a few days ago by the Board o' Studies to see how they scale? I'm confused...

dp624

HSC
bell531 said:
So you mean, study the data tables released a few days ago by the Board o' Studies to see how they scale? I'm confused...
Yep.
Ok, let's see. I'll give an example. MX1.
50->50
99->99
95 -> 94.8

So you see, any extra mark you gain in MX1 past 95 only gives +1 aggregate.

However, say your eng is on 90 atm.
90-> 83.6
95 -> 93.4
A simple 5-mark gain here is a MASSIVE boost to UAI. While a 5 mark gain in MX1 is only 5. etc

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
start doing past papers early, and do a LOT of them. make sure you try them under exam conditions.

make sure you understand everything in the syllabus.

have a regular study routine.

goodluck =]

jellybelly59

HSC
dp624 said:
thanks awesome advice :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Persevere throughout the whole year, place a concentrated emphasis on English and have a good support network, whether its with family, friends or Bored.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
"emphasis on English" --> yay i actually did that. I worked my but off for my recent english assessment and i want it back noooow!!!!

Thanks for the awesome advice! I'll do notes for every subject in these holidays :D

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Sometimes its actually better to not congregate outside the exam hall, you might feel really nervous wiht all your chattering friends. Meditate, you must.

joshoh

HSC
Give up your social life :D

Nah seriously, the earlier you get into a revision study mode the better. I did'nt really put in the hard yard's untill after the trials and then it was 11/12 hours a day untill the exams. It killed me fitting it in with my shifts at work, so not recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)